Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question about NC events
Quote | Reply
Just wondering what the difference is between an Ironman Half versus a non-Ironman? Are the Ironman courses harder or is it just the name associated with the event? Looks like the Ironman events are quite a bit more expensive.
Last edited by: tedk: Jan 27, 15 7:55
Quote Reply
Re: Question [tedk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A half Ironman is half the distance of an Ironman

A non Ironman race is an Ironman distance race put on by someone other than WTC (The owners of the Ironman Brand)

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Question [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it really just a branding thing? I'm looking to do a 70.3 triathlon and was thinking about doing the Raleigh Half Ironman in May. When searching I found a 70.3 in White Lake, NC for less than half the cost, also in May.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Raleigh 70.3 triathlon is put on by Ironman (the corporation). Yes it is a branding thing

White Lake is put on by Set up events

White Lake is completely flat as I remember it

The Raleigh 70.3 is rather hilly from what I hear people describe.

The Ironman branded races are normally a little bigger and cost more. Opinions vary.
White Lake is smaller, I've never done that one but the course is very similar to Triiple T North Carolina in 2010.

jaretj
Last edited by: jaretj: Jan 27, 15 4:31
Quote Reply
Re: Question [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wondering if you have done (or know anything about) the Lake Logan or Charleston event? They are all close to my area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm from the Midwest so I don't do a lot of events in that area.

I'm sure that someone will chime in on those events and offer an opinion soon. If they don't, just bump the thread back to the top near noon with another question so more people will see it.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a previous thread comparing Raleigh to Lake Logan. here

Dtyrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done both Raleigh and White Lake multiple times. The races are very different from each other, mostly because of the Ironman vs. non-Ironman brand. Raleigh will have 3000 athletes and spectators along most of the course. White Lake will have maybe 500 athletes and very few spectators away from the transition area. It makes for a different feel for the two races. Raleigh also has a lot to do outside of the race. White Lake is in the middle of nowhere. Many of the details of Raleigh have already been covered in the other thread - separate transition areas which make for difficult logistics, somewhat hilly course (though not very challenging). White Lake is completely flat and exposed. If it is a hot day, there is nowhere to hide from the sun. Both are nice races, but for different reasons. I would do them both again. It really just depends on what you're looking for. The energy and excitement around Ironman events is nice, but sometimes it's good to get away from all of that and do a smaller race.

I haven't done Lake Logan or Charleston but I have heard good things about Lake Logan. They have found the additional four miles to get the bike course up to 56 for this year. Charleston is supposedly short on both the bike and run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd change your subject line to reflect the main point of the thread. You'll find more interest and views if you indicate the content:

e.g. Questions about NC Events

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: cshowe80: Jan 27, 15 7:42
Quote Reply
Re: Question [dkidwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dkidwell wrote:
I've done both Raleigh and White Lake multiple times. The races are very different from each other, mostly because of the Ironman vs. non-Ironman brand. Raleigh will have 3000 athletes and spectators along most of the course. White Lake will have maybe 500 athletes and very few spectators away from the transition area. It makes for a different feel for the two races. Raleigh also has a lot to do outside of the race. White Lake is in the middle of nowhere. Many of the details of Raleigh have already been covered in the other thread - separate transition areas which make for difficult logistics, somewhat hilly course (though not very challenging). White Lake is completely flat and exposed. If it is a hot day, there is nowhere to hide from the sun. Both are nice races, but for different reasons. I would do them both again. It really just depends on what you're looking for. The energy and excitement around Ironman events is nice, but sometimes it's good to get away from all of that and do a smaller race.

Sums it up nicely.

My additions:
Raleigh -- you can sleep in a hotel.
White Lake -- unless you get a cabin, just sleep in your car.

---------------------------------------------------
Oregon Ducks Custom Painted Jack Kane: http://kanebikes.com/...l-bike-galleries/787
http://www.kanebikes.com/ || Road & Triathlon Bicycles. Custom Painting. Carbon Repair. Restoration. HQ'd in North Carolina
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the most part you're not going to go wrong with Lake Logan or the Charleston half.

IIRC you could search on here and find threads about both races.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dkidwell wrote:

I haven't done Lake Logan or Charleston but I have heard good things about Lake Logan. They have found the additional four miles to get the bike course up to 56 for this year. Charleston is supposedly short on both the bike and run.

x2. Excellent post.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dkidwell wrote:
I haven't done Lake Logan or Charleston but Charleston is supposedly short on both the bike and run.

The Charleston bike course was shortened last year due to flooding. Other than last year, I've had 55.5 miles on the bike before (pretty typical for most half races). The run was the same last year as always. I had 12.9 miles on the run.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply