Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question - Heart rate during 10k
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I would appreciate some feedback. I took part in a 10k race yesterday. Very happy with my result as it took me 42min to run a 5k 7 months ago. I noticed during the run that my heart rate would not exceed 176, my legs felt ok but my lungs felt maxed out. Felt that I wouldn't be able to breath if I went any faster. I am new to endurance sports, the majority of my training has been focused on volume in Z2.

Race info below:

Ended up being 10.5k
Time: 52:18
Avg HR 169
Max HR 176

What could be the limiting factor? Fatigue from usual weekly training load? VO2Max needs to increase?

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Question - Heart rate during 10k [TOSaffa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TOSaffa wrote:
Hi,

I would appreciate some feedback. I took part in a 10k race yesterday. Very happy with my result as it took me 42min to run a 5k 7 months ago. I noticed during the run that my heart rate would not exceed 176, my legs felt ok but my lungs felt maxed out. Felt that I wouldn't be able to breath if I went any faster. I am new to endurance sports, the majority of my training has been focused on volume in Z2.

Race info below:

Ended up being 10.5k
Time: 52:18
Avg HR 169
Max HR 176

What could be the limiting factor? Fatigue from usual weekly training load? VO2Max needs to increase?

Thank you.

the limiting factor is 7 months ago you were fast-walking 5k races. you just need to keep running. you are already seeing huge improvements. just keep at it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Developing speed takes time, that would be the limiting factor (time). Be patient!

Maybe try some intervals once a week.

I like doing: 15 min WU (including some drills) - 5x1600 meters @ half marathon pace or 5x1000 meters @ 10k pace - 15 min CD.

You need to run a certain pace in order to know what that particular pace feels like.

Love the Pain!

Quito-Ecuador
Quote Reply
Re: Question - Heart rate during 10k [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I was wondering if that could be it.
Quote Reply
Re: Question - Heart rate during 10k [mpo_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, I added in a faster run mid week for the last 8 or so weeks. Happy being patient, was just keen to understand exactly what the reason was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lungs burning and legs feeling okay is how a 10k should feel.

Don't worry about the HR number compared to anyone else's. Some really fast guys have slow HR's and some slow guys have fast HR's, and vice versa. I'm nearly 50 and my HR is higher on the bike than much of the Tour de France field, but I'm a mediocre biker. It's meaningless to compare your number to anyone else's. What does matter is how close you can get your racing HR (aerobic threshold, lactate threshold, VO2 max -- depends on the distance) to your maximum HR.

Your data tells me that your "lactate threshold" is currently in the low 170's. You can train using that number to set your zones, so that each workout you do has a known purpose. You can raise VO2 max and raise lactate threshhold. Sounds like you know some of that, since you say you're mostly training in Z2 -- an appropriate zone for a relatively new runner. Here's a place to start building on that info:
http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/joe-friel-s-quick-guide-to-setting-zones

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: Question - Heart rate during 10k [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I've had a good read of the post you mentioned. Have my zones setup and calculated my max as 184. That surprised me a little at first as I thought i could get it higher. I've been working mostly in Zone 2 based on Friel.

I was just curious as to why I couldn't even hit my max yesterday even though I was going all out. My limited experience made me wonder why as it seemed that my lungs were the limiting factor. I'll do some more threshold work as I go into the middle of my build phase and see if that helps. I also had a regular training week of ~ 9 hours before the run yesterday.

Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You won't necessarily hit your max HR in any race, and the longer the race, the less likely you will hit it. The only way to hit it in a 10k would be to really surge for the last several minutes -- and the ability to do that would require you to underperform for most of the race to save energy for the surge at the end.

And the better shape you get into, the harder it seems to be to hit the max.

When you say you've "calculated" your max HR as 184, do you mean you did a long warmup and then went all-out for a several minutes, maybe repeated a few times? I.e., an actual physical test? Those are miserable to do -- there's a reason they do that in a doctor's office. Or did you do a calculation based on age? If it's the calculation based on age, don't trust it. Those produce good averages, but they just hit the middle of a bell curve. They won't tell you much for you individually, unless you're also in the middle of the bell curve.

In my case, the most common formula pegs my max HR at 173. In fact, my max is in the low 190's. This high number says NOTHING about my fitness. It's purely genetics, as I understand it -- I just have a smallish heart (or stroke volume) that beats faster to deliver the same amount of blood.

If I were to calculate my zones based on the 173 max figure, I'd never reach my potential. 173 is still zone 2 for me -- I'll race an entire half-marathon just above that number.

In addition to Joe Friel's work for setting zones, you can look at CTS (Carmichael Training)'s field tests, which I use. These set zones based on hard efforts of 8 minutes, without hitting the max HR.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: Question - Heart rate during 10k [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the 30min FTP test which I found on training peaks.

I thought I would be able to surge a little in the last two km's. That didn't happen, in the end I was able to even split the 10k. Don't get me wrong, I am really happy with my time and the progress so far. Just trying to better understand the HR data. I just assumed that I would hit my max since I was going all out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go do intetvals on the track once a week
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been running for over 30 years, mostly competitive. I've coached high school, college, and post-collegiate runners. I trained with friends ranging from sub 4 minute milers to sub 2:20 marathon runners. I learned that some people are blessed with more genetic talent than others; however, I've also learned there is no substitute for consistency over time. I've seen very mediocre runners become incredible runners, but it took time. There are no shortcuts when it comes to running improvement. In my opinion, it takes 3-5 years to tap into your potential.

I commend you on what appears to be incredible improvement in a short period of time. The limiting factor is you started 7 months ago. Over time, with the right training, your VO2 max will increase, and your running economy and lactate threshold will improve. There's really no secret sauce to running, it's volume, speed-work, threshold, and long runs on a consistent basis. Best of luck to you.
Quote Reply