Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question: Vision Base bar compatiblity with TRP RL970 brake levers
Quote | Reply
New to the forum, and building my first TT bike from scratch (newbie to the TT specific build too). Did some extensive internet searching and didn't come up with an answer, so tossing this question out to a knowledgeable group.

I am interested in using a Vision base bar in my build and I already have my brake levers, the TRP RL970s. These levers have the cables exit through the brake lever body instead of under the brake lever like Vision's levers do. My concern comes from this item in the FAQ on Vision's website:

What brand/ style brake levers are compatible with Vision base bars?
Vision base bars are compatible with any aero brake lever that is a plug style that fits an 19mm inner diameter base bar. And clamping brake levers with a clamp diameter of 22.2mm. Also the brake lever must have the cable exit under the brake lever not thru the brake lever body.

I could just take this at face value, but I have seen Vision bars and I am at a loss why they would have this limitation. Appealing to the experience here to help me understand what is the actual limitation (i.e., why?), or is it a way for Vision to promote their brake levers. I have even emailed Vision, but have not received a reply.

Anyone running these levers on a Vision bar? Thanks in advance...

/edit for typo
Last edited by: stargazer257: Apr 12, 15 13:34
Quote Reply
Re: Question: Vision Base bar compatiblity with TRP RL970 brake levers [stargazer257] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump TTT for the weekday crowd.
Quote Reply
Re: Question: Vision Base bar compatiblity with TRP RL970 brake levers [stargazer257] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i've been searching through the forums with this exact question and would also be eager to hear an answer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The highlighted text saying that they must route the cable under the bar makes no sense. The descriptions of most of their bars state that they fully support internal cable routing... I haven't seen their lower end bars. Is it possible they don't have exit holes for internal cables?
Like these perhaps?
http://www.niagaracycle.com/...bdlMUCFRc8gQodvSMAiw
Just a thought...

Remember Luddites are people too...
Quote Reply
Re: Question: Vision Base bar compatiblity with TRP RL970 brake levers [tdstegner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably similar to my Bontrager bars that have internal guides that exit below/behind the levers. I just drilled a hole in the internal guide for the cable housing to pass through.
Quote Reply
Re: Question: Vision Base bar compatiblity with TRP RL970 brake levers [Ex-Rower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Follow up: I never got a reply back from Vision so NO info there. My solution: went with Zipp. A friend of mine has the same levers on his Zipp Vuka Bull and so I went the same route. Thanks for the input from all.
Quote Reply