Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Quarq disconnecting
Quote | Reply
I have a quarq elsa and I was often times during my spins on the trainer, I will lose connectino from anywhere from 2 seconds to up to a minute, sometimes even longer. Sometimes it's when I switch gears. I don't have my phone near me. I also took my cadence censor off my rear wheels and took off the GSC-10 off my chain stay. Just curious what the problem could be. I connect it to the Garmin 500 and a 910xt and it would disconnect to both so I know it's not the head unit either. Anyone experiencing this?
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq disconnecting [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a fresh battery in the Quarq? What about the firmware version? And, if you're using the magnet, is it aligned really well, and not loose?
Last edited by: nickwhite: Jan 14, 15 7:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Quarq Red and have the same issue, the issue is also common when I do single leg drills. I connect to a 910xt and would love to know what the issue is!
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq disconnecting [noxious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Typically a magnet problem if you don't have the latest Quarq firmware, which eliminates the need for a magnet. I suggest you update to latest firmware for the quarq (firmware 23).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello guys
I have been investigating this issue for a long time with my Quarq and it was clear for me that it was something indoor because it was not happening outside on the road.
The solution I found working for me is related to WIFI channel on your router: I had a Netgear router and the default channel was number 5 and it was disturbing Quarq. The moment I switched to any other channel (about 15 available to try) everything went fine. no more zeros indoor.
Try and let me know. I am pretty sure you have a WIFI field around you...
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq disconnecting [goodboyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goodboyr wrote:
Typically a magnet problem if you don't have the latest Quarq firmware, which eliminates the need for a magnet. I suggest you update to latest firmware for the quarq (firmware 23).

Awesome. Didn't know about this! Will do this at the weekend
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Onceatriathlet3 and Noxious,

There are some great answers already regarding indoor interference, magnet placement, etc. Please feel free to contact our customer service regarding this issue if you like. Visit quarq.com for contact information.

If you want to do some troubleshooting there are 3 usual suspects.

1) Install a new battery. A low battery can cause a whole host of issues and replacing the battery is a good first step in diagnosing any problem.

2) Update the power meter firmware to 23 if you have not already. This will enable accelerometer cadence which allows you to remove the power meter magnet that lives behind the crank set. Power meters shipped from the Quarq factory pre August 13th 2014 do not have v23 loaded and will need to be updated to run AxCad accelerometer cadence. To update your power meter you will need our Qalvin program which is downloadable from our website under the support tab + a USB ant+ stick. You connect wirelessy to the app using your power meters specific ant+ ID just like you would your head unit.
**It is worth noting that firmware update 23 is only available for power meters that use a CR2032 battery and have the LED indicator light. Models that use the CR2450 battery do not contain an accelerometer and cannot be updated. (If you have questions about this give us a call)

3) Check for wireless devices that are in the same room your riding. Streaming videos through a wireless router and through Apple AirPlay are common offenders of interference. Turning these devices off or distancing yourself from them will rule out whether or not they are causing the issue.

If that doesn't do it the next thing is to consider your head unit. Below are some commonly seen issues.

If running a Garmin watch the 910xt and 310xt tend to be a bit touchy when it comes to body position while riding.(Not sure if this includes Fenix) I believe wearing the watch on the right wrist vs the left often results in less drops or none at all, could have that backwards though. Just try whatever wrist the watch isn't normally on and see if that helps.

Then for Garmins with Bluetooth capability (510, 810, 1000) we have found that having the blue tooth function enabled (under phone connections on connections page) but not paired to a bluetooth device was responsible for both short term and long term drops. This may have been addressed in firmware though and you will want to check with Garmin on that. Looking at firmware release notes for the 510 for example, they address ant communication improvements in 3 separate revs. Updating your head unit to the latest version of firmware is certainly worth trying and may solve the issue.

I know that is a lot of information all at once, but if you work through it there is a good chance the issue will resolve itself. If it doesn't, or you just want to talk about it, give us a call.

Alex
Quarq Tech Service
Last edited by: Alex@Quarq: Jan 16, 15 18:17
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq disconnecting [Alex@Quarq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alex how long does it typically take to install the v23 update?
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq disconnecting [lestoad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Took me about 5 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started mine about 15 min ago and it still says starting upload
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq disconnecting [lestoad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the led flashing on the quarq? It flashes during the upload. I had this happen once. I had to remove the battery, short the internal battery contacts for 30 seconds to reset the PM, then try again and it worked ok. There should be a progress bar on your device (I used an Android) and as I said, if it goes well, it takes about 5 minutes or less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This worked! Thanks! I looked it up and it's called a reboot for the system. Thanks for the help
Quote Reply