Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Quarq dies in the rain
Quote | Reply
Anyone else with trouble with their quarq PM in the rain? For the second time my quarq stopped reading when I got wet at IMLP yesterday ( and man was it wet!). I got about 45 minute of data, then it starts reading 3000+ watts and then nothing. It happened once before a few years ago, but that was before they replaced my original Cinqo with the recall. For the money I'm not pleased.

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq dies in the rain [TriBri00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are tested water tight. Are you sure that is was the rain? Sometimes the bolts need a re-torque and when this happens the readings will be either super high or 0 (negative values always appear as 0).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was definitely an issue with the cinqo units, but I havent heard anything about it being a problem with the Riken/Elsa units.

When was the last time you replaced the battery? I had the battery die on me at IMLP in 2012. It showed 4000 watts a few random times before finally just giving up. Now I replace the battery before every race.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq dies in the rain [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should have gotten a Stages.... Not totally joking, tested mine in a water crossing 2-3" above my hubs. No, Ant+ does not transmit through water. Which is unfortunate because I would have loved to know my power numbers. 8mph must have taken at least 400Watts. I was pushing hard just to move in my lowest gear.

In all seriousness, I doubt is was the rain.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq dies in the rain [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bight mine before stages came out. Otherwise I agree 100%.

Brian
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq dies in the rain [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New battery just for the race last week

Brian
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq dies in the rain [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It runs fine if it's dry. So I doubt it's the bolts

Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had to send back 4 different quarq units because they died in the rain. Mostly recently an Elsa that gave funny readings when it got wet, but eventually riding 4 hours in a deluge caused it to stop functioning all together.

Quarq support has been fantastic to deal with on every occasion. I would say that water remains an issue even with newer units that have been "water tested"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i had the same problem. they suggested carbon paste in the bolts, which worked for a short time until the wattage readings started getting wonky all the time. ultimately had to send it back for replacement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had mine die yesterday also about a mile after leaving T1. Randomly went on and off and read crazy number when it did work. Just had it serviced and and new battery a couple weeks ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same thing would happen to my Cinqo then it finally just started continually reading crazy high. Sent it back, they said it couldn't be fixed, and sent me a new Riken. I'd email them, their service is awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week just got back my Riken from water damage as well after a long ride in the rain and washing my bike after the ride. I have never had a unit go out after the rain but it can happen after washing the bike and directly spraying water on the unit. I don't know why but it has happened on a few occasions and all resolved themselves until the last time. Quarq was great and i had a new unit in less than a week, but you would think water issues would be a non issue on an 1600 dollar device.

You can try to let it dry out and remove the chainrings and wipe the whole unit down well. You can short the system for a reset by touching the battery to the side of the battery container and one of the battery prongs inside the battery cap. The first time this happened it went back to normal after 4 days and the second time it took 5 days. The final time after a week nothing and i send it back in.
Last edited by: -Mike-: Jul 28, 14 6:55
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq dies in the rain [rjrankin83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had great customer service from them too. My issue is that I NEED the service. The unit should be able to withstand some water.

Brian
Quote Reply