Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Quarq Trainer Frustration
Quote | Reply
I have a Quarq and Garmin 810, worked fine forever and now during all my trainer rides it constantly drops connection from anywhere from 1 to 10 seconds. I opened a case with Quarq and there only response is something could be interfering, considering almost everything anymore is wireless that doesn't really cut it for me when I have two very expensive cranksets that are starting to frustrate the hell out of me.

I saw older threads on this but trying to see if anyone has had any luck determine the root cause or something in specific in general to turn off? My trainer room has a Mac Mini (disabled wireless and hard wired it) that I connect with via Bluetooth Headphones. I disabled the 5G broadcast on my wireless router as well but trying to get to the root of this as it worked fine all last year, and yes I have changed the battery.

Thanks for any help.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq Trainer Frustration [ClarkWGriz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's likely the BT headphones...

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq Trainer Frustration [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought so as well but powered them off and still had the same issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar issue where I thought it could be due to interference of some kind as it started out of nowhere after working perfectly for several years. I bought a USB extender cable to run the ANT stick so it could sit directly under my bottom bracket, but was still getting the periodic drop outs. Quarq help line had me insert two pennies in the battery compartment, wait 30 seconds, then take them out and manually bend each of the little battery contact points out a bit to ensure good battery contact, and then insert a new battery. Problem stopped immediately. That was 6 months ago, and haven't had the same issue yet. Could be totally unrelated to what you are experiencing, but maybe give it a try.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq Trainer Frustration [Mr. Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks I will give that a try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe ANT+ is in the 2.4 GHZ range so the 5G shouldn't be bothering it. If you follow the link below and look under interference it has some tips on interference and changing your router settings off auto and to a specifc channel.

http://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/201802644-Device-Dropouts

Here is a blurb from a post I found. I can't speak to the validity -

"If a user has a choice and can switch over to using 5 GHz for their Wi-Fi network then that will remove any conflict with ANT+ running on 2.4 GHz. If they cannot switch from 2.4 GHz they may be able to change the channel they are using to be further away from the channels used by ANT+. Try to avoid using channels 9 through 12. "

I had similar issues to you and I originally was told it was the USB stick not being close enough to the device but my Garmin was dropping signal the same time as the PC. This is how I determined it was interference and not just a distance issue. I changed my router channel (I don't remember what to) and the issue was resolved. This was with an older router I don't have any longer so I can't look up the channel I used.
Last edited by: cbs78: Mar 26, 15 13:15
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq Trainer Frustration [Walter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Walter wrote:
I had a similar issue where I thought it could be due to interference of some kind as it started out of nowhere after working perfectly for several years. I bought a USB extender cable to run the ANT stick so it could sit directly under my bottom bracket, but was still getting the periodic drop outs. Quarq help line had me insert two pennies in the battery compartment, wait 30 seconds, then take them out and manually bend each of the little battery contact points out a bit to ensure good battery contact, and then insert a new battery. Problem stopped immediately. That was 6 months ago, and haven't had the same issue yet. Could be totally unrelated to what you are experiencing, but maybe give it a try.

I was experiencing the same issues with my Quarq dropping signal with my Garmin 500. The two have worked flawlessly for the last 2 years, then over a period of 2 weeks the signal dropping became ridiculous. In one 90' ride on the trainer, I bet the pair lost signal over 50 times. Did the penny thing (not sure if it did any good), but then gently bent the little battery prongs out and problem solved. I just did a little 15 mile ride, and not one time was the signal dropped. Thank you ST!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it lose its connection when you're out on the road? Which year/model do you have? The older Quarqs had a pretty fragile battery case - if the little tab broke off, you'd have to stuff the battery compartment with thin pieces of plastic to make sure the battery contacts were tight.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq Trainer Frustration [gardenvelo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ended up resolving the issue by removing the pairing of my Garmin HR monitor and my Garmin 810, that seemed to solve the issue with the Quarq. No idea why though.
Quote Reply