Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Quarq SRAM red issues
Quote | Reply
Hi!

So I just bought a used bike which have the quarq sram red power meter installed and I'm having some issues with it..

Doing "all sensor search" on my FR920xt gives me varying results;
- sometimes I get nada
- sometimes I get "power 53901" (which is the number on the crank)
- sometimes I get "power 339", "power 53901" and "speed and cadence sensor

Using only the "power 53911" I get 0w and no cadence. When calibrating I get around -290 or something like that.

Using the other two I get power and cadence. When I try to calibrate it fails with an error 655... something and then disconnects both sensor.

I did the pairing like 5 times on the stationary trainer and as soon as I went outside it disconnected and wouldn't connect again.. Trying to pair outside lifting the bike and turning the pedals or while riding - nada...

I've changed the battery. Backpedaling 5 times doesn't give me any red light.. I don't actually see this much except when I remove and then add the battery again.

I don't know why I sometime find three sensors and at other times find only one. My guess is that the "power 53911" would be the correct one if using a magnet perhaps? There's no magnet on the bike.. so my assumption (as I get watts on the other "power 339") is that it's new enough (2014+) and support use og accelerometer..?

It's this one:
https://www.sram.com/...power-meter-10-speed

So.. any clues? I'm kind of lost :)
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq SRAM red issues [hhetland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Down load and run Qalvin.

On the initialization screen select "Enter Meter ID" and use the number on the crank

Then check for software updates and if they exist run the updates (if you can)

Then run the diagnostics on the meter using the program. That will either fix it, tell you what is wrong, or give you information you will need when calling Quarq, who are very responsive in cases like this.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing it hasn't had its firmware updates done and is still running in the old firmware that needed a magnet. And the magnet is missing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd suggest trying to pair the Quarq with a Garmin Edge head unit to verify if it is the PM or the Garmin. I have a replacement 920xt from Garmin that absolutely refuses to pair with my Quarq, even tho the Quarq works fine with multiple Edge cyclecomputers. The 920 is out of warranty so I haven't bothered filing a ticket with Garmin for a $99 exchange.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq SRAM red issues [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went out and bought a ANT usb adapter. After some attempts to connect I finally managed to connect to the "power 53901". It was running version 12 so I did a firmware update to version 24 and had a look through the different settings.

After the above I made another try with my watch and the "power 53901" now gives me power output and the "speed/cadence" also connects. Not sure if I need this or not, I haven't tried that yet.

So seems like this resolved the issue. I have a ride tomorrow which will hopefully be a blast with data available :)

Thanks for the help guys.
Last edited by: hhetland: Jul 20, 17 14:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hhetland wrote:
I went out and bought a ANT usb adapter. After some attempts to connect I finally managed to connect to the "power 53901". It was running version 12 so I did a firmware update to version 24 and had a look through the different settings.

After the above I made another try with my watch and the "power 53901" now gives me power output and the "speed/cadence" also connects. Not sure if I need this or not, I haven't tried that yet.

So seems like this resolved the issue. I have a ride tomorrow which will hopefully be a blast with data available :)

Thanks for the help guys.

That's great news! The cadence output from the Quarq is just an added benefit of the PM and eliminates the need for a separate cadences sensor and crank magnet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup. The old firmware needed a magnet. The new firmware eliminates the need for a magnet. That's why it works now. There is no magnet on your bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq SRAM red issues [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:

That's great news! The cadence output from the Quarq is just an added benefit of the PM and eliminates the need for a separate cadences sensor and crank magnet.

That's what I thought. I didn't know that these we're "two different sensors" though. I have a pair of bepro power pedals as well, these just connect as "power" and they also show cadence.

goodboyr wrote:
Yup. The old firmware needed a magnet. The new firmware eliminates the need for a magnet. That's why it works now. There is no magnet on your bike.

Well, I don't think that's exactly correct. The previous owner was using it and receiving data for as long as he had the bike - or at least that's what he told me. So it might have been a problem with the quarq <> 920xt or "something else".

The important thing is that it seems to be good now. I guess a lot has happend (and improvements made) as there were 12 new versions available :)
Last edited by: hhetland: Jul 20, 17 22:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would carefully check the drivetrain. These magnets can get knocked off and stick to chains, derailleurs etc. And the worst case scenario is that they stick to the chain. Can cause the Rd to snap off. My theory is it was there but is now not.
Quote Reply