Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Quarq Magnet Replacement
Quote | Reply
Need some guidance. Magnet (i think) crapped out on my Quarq. Can it be replaced with a generic rare earth magnet or do i have to burn the $20 and get a new one from Quarq?
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq Magnet Replacement [jasper808] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jasper808 wrote:
Need some guidance. Magnet (i think) crapped out on my Quarq. Can it be replaced with a generic rare earth magnet or do i have to burn the $20 and get a new one from Quarq?

When you say crapped out do you mean went missing? I've never seen a rare earth magnet die on it own. Any reasonably sized rare earth magnet will work. I just mounted one inside the BB speed faring on a Speed Concept where it can't be knocked off by a dropped chain.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What model quarq do you have? I lost mine as well but after the latest firmware update I no longer need a magnet for cadence. All Riken models and above now have the ability to use the built in accelerometer to measure cadence
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq Magnet Replacement [loosegroove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a the model that still uses the 2045 battery so I don't think I can make the upgrade.

When I say "crapped out," that's just my uneducated guess because I am not getting any reading on my Garmin 910. I have tried several magnet locations and my Garmin does recognize that a powermeter is present, but again, no power/cadence reading.

I just thought that the magnet may have gone bad. Possible?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Possible, but very unlikely. I would start troubleshooting the powermeter by contacting Quarq's customer service before attempting to source a magnet that probably won't fix the problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq Magnet Replacement [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you talk to the PM via the QALVIN application?

That should get you started.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jasper808 wrote:
I have a the model that still uses the 2045 battery so I don't think I can make the upgrade.

When I say "crapped out," that's just my uneducated guess because I am not getting any reading on my Garmin 910. I have tried several magnet locations and my Garmin does recognize that a powermeter is present, but again, no power/cadence reading.

I just thought that the magnet may have gone bad. Possible?

If the Garmin recognizes the power meter that indicates that the magnet is there and doing its job. Does the Garmin ask if you wish to calibrate and if so does it return a number?

Hugh

Quote Reply
Re: Quarq Magnet Replacement [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't think I can upgrade to Qalvin. My model uses the 2045 battery. The Garmin does recognize that a PM is present and will calibrate, but again no power. I contacted Quarq but they were not too helpful.

Good to know that it is HIGHLY unlikely that it is the magnet. Still baffled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure Qalvin will talk to and diagnose any age quarq. Download the appropriate version here and make sure you have a way for your computer/phone to talk to the power meter through Ant+. That means a dongle for an older iphone, a dongle for you pc/mac, or have an android phone with Ant+ built in. The first thing I would check is run a reed check.

I'm very surprised to hear that Quarq support was less than helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq Magnet Replacement [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
I'm pretty sure Qalvin will talk to and diagnose any age quarq. Download the appropriate version here and make sure you have a way for your computer/phone to talk to the power meter through Ant+. That means a dongle for an older iphone, a dongle for you pc/mac, or have an android phone with Ant+ built in. The first thing I would check is run a reed check.

I'm very surprised to hear that Quarq support was less than helpful.

Yeah, should work. First step would be to connect to the PM and if that works, run the diagnostics and you can send those off to Quarq if you need.

If things work there, could be a simple Garmin pairing issue.

Also, what are you getting back as your zero offset value when you zero with the Garmin?
Last edited by: f_herman: Jun 30, 16 9:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jasper808 wrote:
Don't think I can upgrade to Qalvin. My model uses the 2045 battery. The Garmin does recognize that a PM is present and will calibrate, but again no power. I contacted Quarq but they were not too helpful.

Good to know that it is HIGHLY unlikely that it is the magnet. Still baffled.

Even the old Quarq Cinqos can use Qalvin. I just checked the calibration on one this spring. It was still right on with factory calibration.

Hugh

Quote Reply
Re: Quarq Magnet Replacement [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right on - thanks for the help all. Will try this when I get home.
Quote Reply