Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Quarq Install: ETAP & SL5 Tarmac Chain rub; Low Limit Backed out all the way
Quote | Reply
I have a 2017 SL5 Tarmac ETAP (chameleon paint) that I have an issue with. I installed a Quarq DZero power meter and have chain rub whenever I'm in the 34 up front (smallest up front) and 28T (largest out back, to the left) in the back. The limit screw is backed out all the way.

I have checked the following:

-check chainline with no spacers to be around 49mm.
-confirmed I have the correct crankset; quarq dzero
-confirmed I have correct 11 speed SRAM Red Yaw hidden bolt chainrings
-confirmed carbon seat-tube or braze on adaptor is free of debris
-confirmed no structural issues to the frame
-confirmed the FD cage is not bent
-confirmed crankset torqued to specifications
-confirmed chainrings installed correctly
-confirmed chain size for 11 speed
-I’m sure I’ve missed something.

I should note that with TWO nondrive side spacers installed to the drive side, the chain does not rub. Anyone have any ideas? I've emailed SRAM and Specialized both and they haven't responded yet

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Confused Fitness Addict -- Biker first, Nutrition second, everything else third.
Last edited by: idle: Feb 23, 18 7:52
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq Install: ETAP & SL5 Tarmac Chain rub; Low Limit Backed out all the way [idle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looks like the FD cage is sitting at an angle to the chainrings, rather than parallel.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq Install: ETAP & SL5 Tarmac Chain rub; Low Limit Backed out all the way [idle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can say I have this exact setup ( down to the paint!) and I have not had the issue. I actually put on a Dura-Ace 11-30 cassette out back and still am able to use all the gears. I do avoid the Big-Big combo since I didn't resize the chain with the oversized cassette.

I did have a DOA Front mech and had to replace the derailleur. This led to removing the full bracket and basically starting from scratch ( I forgot why .. probably my poor mechanical skillz ) It took me a little while to get everything well aligned and shifting smoothly, but I eventually got it dialed and it is shifting smoothly now. (Sometimes on the trainer it won't move to the 52 if I'm on a small cog, this never happens on the road).
I just realized you have compact if you have a 34 inner-ring. The bike comes stock with mid-compact 36-52 unless you have changed it.

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq Install: ETAP & SL5 Tarmac Chain rub; Low Limit Backed out all the way [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
looks like the FD cage is sitting at an angle to the chainrings, rather than parallel.
It’s a yaw mech,it’s not supposed to be parallel
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq Install: ETAP & SL5 Tarmac Chain rub; Low Limit Backed out all the way [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriDevilDog wrote:
I can say I have this exact setup ( down to the paint!) and I have not had the issue. I actually put on a Dura-Ace 11-30 cassette out back and still am able to use all the gears. I do avoid the Big-Big combo since I didn't resize the chain with the oversized cassette.

I did have a DOA Front mech and had to replace the derailleur. This led to removing the full bracket and basically starting from scratch ( I forgot why .. probably my poor mechanical skillz ) It took me a little while to get everything well aligned and shifting smoothly, but I eventually got it dialed and it is shifting smoothly now. (Sometimes on the trainer it won't move to the 52 if I'm on a small cog, this never happens on the road).
I just realized you have compact if you have a 34 inner-ring. The bike comes stock with mid-compact 36-52 unless you have changed it.

I too have an 11-28 (might be 30, I don't remember) Dura Ace 11 speed cassette. However, I'm still having the issue.

Anyway, I also changed the front teeth when I installed the Quarq to 50-34, issue still remains. The point is: the chainline is accurate, the braze on adaptor is square and the problem is still there.

Confused Fitness Addict -- Biker first, Nutrition second, everything else third.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moving from stock mid-compact to compact means the FD will need to be adjusted a bit lower - have you moved it down to account for the smaller rings?
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq Install: ETAP & SL5 Tarmac Chain rub; Low Limit Backed out all the way [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. See the list above. Everything has been checked.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you got any pictures of the preload adjuster and gap on it, is the gap between the inside of crank arms and chain stays the same on both sides?
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq Install: ETAP & SL5 Tarmac Chain rub; Low Limit Backed out all the way [neilridley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’re on the right direction. Problem resolved. Will post more detailed information later. Involved spacers and preload.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you use any bearing shields?

https://www.ebay.com/...ave-Washer/691362686
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq Install: ETAP & SL5 Tarmac Chain rub; Low Limit Backed out all the way [neilridley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
neilridley wrote:
Did you use any bearing shields?

https://www.ebay.com/...ave-Washer/691362686

Lol yes of course.

The factory installed spacer on the NDS side needed moved to the DS and replaced with a smaller size. Then the preload needed checked. FD needed readjusted. Good to go.

Big point here is that NDS spacer needed replaced and moved to the other side.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate that preload adjuster, i remove it and I make my own shims , glad you got it sorted
Quote Reply