Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Qualify for Boston in IM
Quote | Reply
Are Ironman races certified Boston qualifiers?
Quote Reply
Re: Qualify for Boston in IM [tami3t] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the most part, no. But I do believe Kona and I think Louisville are certified. Pretty sure none of the others are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can qualify with your IM marathon, thats impressive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm almost positive that the answer to this used to be a solid "no". Now, looking at the qualifying requirements on the BAC page, it doesn't explicitly exclude the possibility. The rub is that it does need to be USATF certified and as mentioned, Louisville and Kona are the only 2 listed in the USATF database.
Quote Reply
Re: Qualify for Boston in IM [dgunthert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgunthert wrote:
I'm almost positive that the answer to this used to be a solid "no". Now, looking at the qualifying requirements on the BAC page, it doesn't explicitly exclude the possibility. The rub is that it does need to be USATF certified and as mentioned, Louisville and Kona are the only 2 listed in the USATF database.

I checked the Kona cert on the USATF site - though Kona is listed as expiring in 2017, based upon the actual details, looks like it expired at the end of 2016 - link.

Not sure if there is some grace period involved.

The details also state that if there are any course changes since the original cert in 2007, then the course needs to be recertified.

Good thing it hasn't changed at all since 2007 :)

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Qualify for Boston in IM [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow......if you had a BM qualifying time in an IM you are my hero :D

Tomorrow is not promised. Increase the Peace.
Quote Reply
Re: Qualify for Boston in IM [FurnaceM3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Each year in Kona they post the stats of how many ran BQ qualifying times in their AG during the race and in 2015 it was over 200.
Quote Reply
Re: Qualify for Boston in IM [TPerkin2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TPerkin2000 wrote:
Each year in Kona they post the stats of how many ran BQ qualifying times in their AG during the race and in 2015 it was over 200.

Nice.....some crazy fast peeps out there. Kudos.

Tomorrow is not promised. Increase the Peace.
Quote Reply
Re: Qualify for Boston in IM [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owtbac86 wrote:
dgunthert wrote:

I checked the Kona cert on the USATF site - though Kona is listed as expiring in 2017, based upon the actual details, looks like it expired at the end of 2016 - link.

Not sure if there is some grace period involved.

The details also state that if there are any course changes since the original cert in 2007, then the course needs to be recertified.

Good thing it hasn't changed at all since 2007 :)

Considering the Queen K from town to the Energy Lab has/is being changed, I would suspect it would need re-certification.

Incidentally, as someone who has been involved in getting a marathon certified, (it is shockingly easy), it's pretty sad that IM can not spend the extra $250 - $750 to have it done.
Quote Reply
Re: Qualify for Boston in IM [FurnaceM3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FurnaceM3 wrote:
Wow......if you had a BM qualifying time in an IM you are my hero :D

Have not BQd at kona by a longshot, though you got the gears in my head turning.

I checked the BQ times, and I'm now putting that on my goal list for next year at kona when I age up. Thanks - I think....

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Qualify for Boston in IM [bx3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most people wouldn't use their Ironman run time for Boston. Here is way:

People who can BQ at an IM are typically competitive athletes.
They are not going to enter Boston "just to finish."
Boston is a crowded race.
People are seeded based on time.
Starting behind thousands of slower runners is not conducive to a good race.

To clarify with a personal examples.
I could run a 3:20 in an Ironman.
I wouldn't want run Boston, however, unless I thought I could break 2:55:00.
True my 3:20 Ironman marathon would give me a BQ (in the 45-50 AG).
A 3:20 qualifying time would seed me behind 5,000 people who will run 3:00-3:20.
It would be extremely exhausting to try to wind my way through 5,000 people.

Thus if I want to run Boston- I would BQ in a normal race.
Quote Reply
Re: Qualify for Boston in IM [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course, you could qualify during a summer IM, focus on run training, then register for Boston in September. You could then reset your BQ time in a cool fall/winter race and use that time for corral seeding.
Quote Reply
Re: Qualify for Boston in IM [bx3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bx3 wrote:

Incidentally, as someone who has been involved in getting a marathon certified, (it is shockingly easy), it's pretty sad that IM can not spend the extra $250 - $750 to have it done.

It's only shockingly easy if the course is in fact 26.2 miles :)
Quote Reply
Re: Qualify for Boston in IM [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can people really run a 3:20 IM marathon off 2:55 standalone ability? Seems like a small gap.

I wonder how many of those 200 Kona BQ'ers were women? The women's standard is comparatively much easier than for men.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Qualify for Boston in IM [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say yes. From my personal experience, I have run 16 minutes in an Ironman run vs my stand alone marathon times multiple times. Although, I have also run a lot worse than stand alone times than that on more times than I care to remember. Best case scenario, yes, possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a coach back some years and he told me his wife qualified for Boston in an IM. Sorry I don't recall which one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately no!
Only Kona can qualify you for Boston - I have tried to submit my run from IM, but no luck. Its a shame - love to run Boston!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3h14 off a 2h56 pb here. 40s a mile is a lifetime of difference. The IM was a quicker course too.
Quote Reply
Re: Qualify for Boston in IM [hutchy_belfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hutchy_belfast wrote:
3h14 off a 2h56 pb here. 40s a mile is a lifetime of difference. The IM was a quicker course too.

I see, thank you. My last marathon that I was trained for was 2h48m (Boston). I'm training for IMLP and was thinking 3h20m or just under was the best case scenario. Hopefully training goes well and I can do better. Sorry to derail the thread.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally think all things being equal, that a 30min disparity for a 'proper' runner such ad yourself means you over biked.
Quote Reply
Re: Qualify for Boston in IM [hutchy_belfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hutchy_belfast wrote:
I personally think all things being equal, that a 30min disparity for a 'proper' runner such ad yourself means you over biked.

... or undertrained
...poor nutrition plan, inadequate
...poor run pacing
....not factoring in the heat in your pacing
... swam too hard... yes that matters too and it impact nutrition

...bike FTP not acurate.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know someone who one year was able to submit their run split from IMLP to the BAA as their BQ time and it was accepted. This was before they changed the registration process a few years ago so I don't know if it would still work today.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply