Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Qualified for AG Nats
Quote | Reply
I've seen a lot of posts about this, but I'm not curious about whether its worth it to go. I would like to attend for the experience of something big like this. I qualified last year, but couldn't swing the cost and where it was located.

This is the second "season" (3 races in total) I have raced, completing olympic distance, and after my last race I purchased a QR prThree, with help and input from this forum. Each race I have gotten faster overall, with some ebb and flow in each discipline - mainly swimming. I had been on an old road bike and figured this would help up my game to some degree. One thing I am looking into is trying to get some swimming and input over the non-summer months as I have only had an outdoor pool to swim in during the summer. My swimming sucks and I want to work on my stroke and volume more. I do have a good group of runners I can run with, but no one that does tris. Occasional long runs and typically try to go to one run club a week.

Given that general back ground, which I know is not too descriptive of any ability that I may have, how have you guys structured your training knowing that you have a year for a given A-race? Or what would you suggest doing that you have seen gives good results?

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Qualified for AG Nats [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stay heathly above anything else. Have fun. And just stay consistent all year long

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:
Or what would you suggest doing that you have seen gives good results?

Choose the right parents and hire a good coach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can swing it, a coach has been of great benefit to me. If that's not a reality, consistency is the #1 thing. Day after day, week after week, month after month, keep training. That will get you a long ways into triathlon.
Go easy most of the time. You have to go easy enough that you have the energy to go harder than you thought you could for the very short amount of time you're not going easy. Too many non coached athletes always go in that Z2-3 area, just hard enough to feel it burn a little. That's inefficient training time. I could go on.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1'st question - Its a fun event. Definitely worth doing once and when logistically easy. I went when it was in Burlington as it was a reasonable drive. It was fun, but not an event I'd do every-year and probably wouldn't fly to unless it was a direct flight and a city I wanted to go to. That said - My son and I are going this year. Cleveland is drivable (not really a city I need to see again) but he wants to go which supersedes it not being a great city.

2'nd question - Swim some, Ride a lot and run as often as you can without getting injured. Do this every week. That's my approach.

My son uses Swim a lot, Ride some, run some.

I beat him - so use mine :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nationals is definitely worth doing at least once. It's always a very well produced event and the competition is DEEP. Prepare to be humbled :)

Swim a lot and swim HARD, ride some but ride HARD, and run a lot but run easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are in the M30-34 age group, I would definitely not attend.

I was in your exact position last year. I was in my first year of triathlon, qualified on my second race and raced at Nationals for my third race. I like many others would probably have not attended if it wasn't for Omaha being within driving distance and family putting me up. I qualified for Cleveland this upcoming year and will most likely go again (within driving distance and have friends putting me up.) Racing in just two local races and then stepping up and looking at everyone's nice $$ tri bikes while I had my used road bike with aero bars was very humbling, but one that I do not regret at all. Looking down the start line on the dock and chatting with the guys next to me who just came back from worlds was an amazing experience knowing you are going up against some of the best in AG Olympic distance. I highly recommend doing it, they put on a good event and great experience for a new triathlete in the scene of triathlon IMO.

Hopefully see you in "The Land."
Quote Reply
Re: Qualified for AG Nats [pkeys00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pkeys00 wrote:
If you are in the M30-34 age group, I would definitely not attend.

:) alright, I will wait till I age out then

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
USAT nationals is a great race. I have enjoyed it in the past. However, I am not going to go in 2018 because I really don't want to schlep myself and my bike all the way across the country to go to .... Cleveland. I mean come on. Sorry to any STers who live there, it may be a nice city to live in, but it is not a destination I want to travel to in order to race.

I would love to see USAT nationals be in places that are pretty to race with good weather in August. Portland, Oregon or Portland, ME, how about western Washington, Jackson Hole, WY, Colorado, or Burlington, VT? Heck, even Pittsburgh would be better. What about a destination such as Lake Tahoe or a National Park - somewhere beautiful where we would love racing and taking our families to visit. But Cleveland???? Who the heck approved THAT decision???

In the future, I will keep an eye on participating in USAT nationals again. But, it will be dependent on location being an important factor just as it is for any other race.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:
I would like to attend for the experience of something big like this. I qualified last year, but couldn't swing the cost and where it was located.

Go for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Qualified for AG Nats [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get your point of having the race in a scenic venue but logistically, larger cities with easy transportation options make the most sense. I'm bummed I stopped racing for a few year when the race was in Vermont. I would have loved to go there.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Qualified for AG Nats [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Cleveland is a great place for the race. My in-laws live in the area so I have done the Cleveland Tri a bunch of times. One of my favorite races. It used to be a really big deal - the first time I did it I watched Macca win in last few hundred yards over Tony DeBoom. Lots of big time pro races in Cleveland in the 1990's and early 2000's. Unfortunately, as Ironman sort of engulfed everything in the US and pros started racing only IMs and Half-IM's, Olympic Distance races like the Cleveland Tri became less popular and pros no longer raced it. It is still a great spot for a race and a great race course. Good restaurants, can catch an Indians game, and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is awesome. I did AG Nationals in Burlington and loved it. One of my favorite races ever. I expect Cleveland will be great too.

I would do this race in a heartbeat if I could next year, but I live in Alaska now and finding a race I can qualify at is a bit challenging.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you are smart asking what it might be like. You are obviously interested. I'd race if I were you. You're not going to place as well as you would in a small local race. You'll be the small fish in a big pond, but you'll with racing against the best and I'm guessing you like competition.
Read up on training, do your research, come up with plan, train smart and enjoy Nats. If you don't well, you'll be motivated for next year.
This is what is all about.
Quote Reply