Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Q re: bike maintenance
Quote | Reply
I've only been riding seriously for a couple of years now, and my knowledge of my bike's maintenance needs must improve. Specifically, I'm now finding parts that have corroded or been damaged through neglect, but I didn't know I had to take protective measures in the first place.

For instance, I bent my 9-month old rear Bontrager wheel in a crash. When I took it to the shop to be trued, it turned out that the nipples had corroded (salt air) to the point of crumbling, and a rebuild was recommended. I was told that I should have been placing oil on the nipples to prevent the corrosion, but I had no idea of the need for such a thing. I had assumed that nipples were made of corrosion-resistant material. I was wrong, at least in Bontrager's case.

Also, the leading edge of my Trek carbon fiber fork has begun to develop chips in the finish. How do I deal with this problem? Is this the beginning of the end for my fork? Is there anything I could have done to prevent this issue from arising?

Are there any other not-so-obvious maintenance needs that you suggest paying attention to?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Quote | Reply
chips in the finish of your fork isnt a huge deal. You can get model paint or finger nail polish and touch it up---if just the clearcoat has been chipped just get some nail polish thats clear and touch it up. Really, it shouldnt be a big deal, other than cosmetics. Are you carrying your bike on top of your car to get the chips? If so, I use a bike bra and its amazing at the end of the month how many bugs and crap is on the bike, which is good cause it means its not on the bike. All of those bearings should be looked at ocassionally---headset, BB, hubs---my recommendation is getting a $20 bike maintenance book from Borders, your LBS or REI. It'll tell you how to do the things you need to do to it.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Q re: bike maintenance [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good advice. Another bit of somewhat leftist, "guerilla" bike maintenance advice and directions through the side door to wisdom: If you have a skill essential to the retailer's life (plumber, electrician, bookkeeper, lawyer, beautiful girl or guy depending on orientation) start hanging out at your local tri bike store making observations like (if you're an electrician) "Gee, those track lights look like they could stand an extra fixture" or "Your sign light isn't very bright..." You can endenture yourself in their service in exchange for sacred knowledge of bike maintenance. We have an electrician, plumber, attorney, policeman, two politicians and several attractive bystanders who have gained access to the "inner circle" and it's attendant privledges. Remeber, bike shops are people too....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply