Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

QUARQ - what's a reasonable life?
Quote | Reply
Purchased a QUARQ Black BB30, paying full whack i.e. approx. $3k, while living in the UK at the end of 2012. Straight on to the TT rig and all good. Used it through to October 2013 and again all good. In October 13 I retired for 12 months as part of relocating back to AUS, life changes, etc. Didn’t pull the bike out of the bike until December last year. Once again all good to start with. That is until late Jan, early Feb when started to notice power jumping around a bit. Recalibrated, etc but progressively got worse. Long story short I got in touch with QUARQ support in mid Feb. Explained the situation and the end result is it is dropping power i.e. its no good.

Initially the customer service rep said as purchased late 2012 and not long over 2 year warranty period they might be able to do it under warranty if I chase up proof of purchase. Got a copy of invoice then within a matter of minutes of sending it through I received a one line email saying “with it being as far out of that warranty that it is we wouldn't be able to cover the unit under warranty”. I reiterated that it was 4 to 6 weeks after the 2 year period and more importantly the unit has only had approximately 12 months of effective use, and for a $3k piece of kit I didn’t really think this was fair and reasonable performance. Received further correspondence saying “every case has a circumstance attached to it and we need to draw the line at some point”. The every case bit had me wondering if this is a regular occurrence. Is a life of approx. 2 years the norm?

So at the end of the day I have been offered a discount on upgrade options, which still come at significant cost, or bin the unit. Needless to say I’m not overly happy and while I appreciate the warranty period is part of any purchase I would have thought a more substantial life from a QUARQ product is fair and reasonable, especially given the 12 months effective use? Interested to know what others think, any other similar experiences, etc. Spending more on an “upgrade” feels a lot like throwing good money after bad.
Quote Reply
Re: QUARQ - what's a reasonable life? [jferg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a new Quarq in Jan 2012. Summer of 2014 it would not calibrate and power numbers were read in thousands when it would read.I think my avg power for one of the HIM I did was 3400!
It only malfunctioned when it was left overnight in races that had a mandatory day before bike rack. After 3 races without power I realized that condensation may have been seeping into the meter. I did a hose test at home and confirmed it had a leak. I called Quarq and like you was out of the warranty and was given the option of a replacement. I was lucky and found one on clearance that was a shorter crank, but still 1100 bucks. A friend of mine who bought hers 2 weeks after mine also had her go out last summer with the same water leak problem. The guys at quarq were nice on the phone but did not act like this was much of a surprise to them.
Quote Reply
Re: QUARQ - what's a reasonable life? [spasmus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Cheers spasmus
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did your crankset encounter electromagnetic damage somewhere during your move?

Proud Representative of Slowtwitch Anti-Atheists Society.
Last edited by: Iamironman: Mar 2, 15 3:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would expect 8 to 10 years out of any Power meter.

I have one Powertap from 2006 that is still working fine.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've just replaced my Quarq Riken which had about 14 months of use. They blamed the fact that my chain had come off about 12 months prior to the PM failing and caused superficial damage to the inside of the power meter. They then apparently "did me a favour" by allowing be to replace the actual PM bit not the whole crank and charging me "only" $500 (they wouldn't honour the warranty because of the supposed damage).

One of my training partners had his Riken fail about two weeks later after having purchased it at the same time as me.

It seems as though they only last about 12-24 months, unlike my 5 year old Powertap which just keeps on going.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a powertap from 2007 that keeps going and going and going . . .

And I don't have to change the battery every 2 months either!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may have a case for a repair as goods sold in the UK should last a 'reasonable time' and for a PM costing 3K, two years is not really enough. More info in the article below I found from a quick google

http://www.theguardian.com/...ernews.howtocomplain
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Four + years on mine without a glitch and I bought it second hand.
Quote Reply
Re: QUARQ - what's a reasonable life? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have 2 Quarqs. One is about 5 years old and sill works perfectly. The other is new and hopefully will last just as long.

With that being said, it seems like Quarq's support policies have gone down the crapper. They used to be a LOT better about fixing/replacing defective units. They should come with some sort of limited lifetime warranty. What I mean by that is if the malfunction is not the result of physical damage or abuse and is clearly a defect in the design or electronics, they should at the very least replace it at cost or repair for a nominal fee.

At $1200 minimum, these are not disposable electronics item and should last a minimum of 5 years if not physically damaged/abused.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 2 quarqs. I have had several major issues with both of them, and Quarq took care of it each time without much trouble. Granted, the issues occurred while the devices were fairly new, but even still, they did stand behind the product for me (1 week total time to have the new replacement unit in my hand).

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: QUARQ - what's a reasonable life? [Jim Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim Martin wrote:
I have 2 quarqs. I have had several major issues with both of them, and Quarq took care of it each time without much trouble. Granted, the issues occurred while the devices were fairly new, but even still, they did stand behind the product for me (1 week total time to have the new replacement unit in my hand).

Same here. I got a Quarq Red in 2012 about when it first came out, and have had to sent it back twice to be repaired. No abuse. All done quickly under warranty, so I'm not complaining. But the things don't seem to be bomb-proof based on this thread.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 2, 15 7:20
Quote Reply
Re: QUARQ - what's a reasonable life? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. Seems to be a common theme. Thanks to all for sharing.
Disappointing as I'm with mcmetal at $1k+ investment these should not be disposable electronic items and should last 5 years if not physically damaged. At the very least I'd suggest there should be ability for repair at a nominal fee, rather than "upgrade" at a significant cost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an Elsa I got on the Classifieds about a year ago - it is 2.5 years old total. Zero issues, been totally easy to work with and get swapped between bikes 2-3 times a week.
Quote Reply