QR to launch a new bike at kona
Quote | Reply
Will it have disc brakes?* half pink

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: QR to launch a new bike at kona [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where is the proof of this?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: QR to launch a new bike at kona [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I received an e-mail today. Here is a screenshot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok clearly the pic didn't post. I'm sure I'm not the only person that got the email. I'm definitely interested to see what they have to offer.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got the same email. Curious what it is because i just bought a prThree!

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im-a-miler wrote:

The pic in the email is a black and white pic, and you can very easily make out a disc brake on the front fork/wheel. So, I'd say yes. The rest of the frame looks the same. Yawn.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Oct 8, 17 14:01
Quote Reply
Re: QR to launch a new bike at kona [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like they spec'd it with mechanical disc? Nah.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Im-a-miler wrote:

The pic in the email is a black and white pic, and you can very easily make out a disc brake on the front fork/wheel

Nice catch. I overlooked that.

Last edited by: Im-a-miler: Oct 8, 17 14:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I’m hoping they took it to the tunnel with an identically set up PR6.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelo got beat to market by Quintana Roo in terms of upgrading their bikes to disc brakes. That’s interesting

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Cervelo got beat to market by Quintana Roo in terms of upgrading their bikes to disc brakes. That’s interesting

Hey you never know, kona is still a week away. They could still have a wildcard up their sleeve.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Completely missed the disc brake in the picture. All the reset appears to be the same. I wonder if they did something special for the non-drive chain stay? Maybe hide the disc?
Quote Reply
Re: QR to launch a new bike at kona [Nazgul350r] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They could but the air flow back there is such a mess I doubt that would make much a difference. The biggest drag impact from disc brakes is likely the additional spoke count on the front wheel followed by the presence of a rotor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really liked how QR prided themselves on simplicity and functionality. A disc brake muddles this for me.
Quote Reply
Re: QR to launch a new bike at kona [Rider17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the rest of the bike is the same as the rim brake version, we finally get an answer to which set-up is faster ;-).

Of course there is a chance that they will come up with some BS such as 'optimized for disc brakes", but I am somewhat giddy about the possibility that it might be otherwise the same frame front end.
Quote Reply
Re: QR to launch a new bike at kona [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
If the rest of the bike is the same as the rim brake version, we finally get an answer to which set-up is faster ;-).

First off I'd love to know whether the 'shift technology' is effective against a rear disc brake. If it moves most of the air beyond the disc on the non-drive side then they're on to a winner. What the Andean tries to achieve by building the frame around the wheels, seems to make more sense.

Second, you have to compare rim-wheels against disc-wheels, Zipp and HED offer options optimised for both and that is what we need to see. Whether disc braking allows more exotic rim shapes in the future to emerge is something I have no understanding of, but as a potential buyer I'd like to know how future proof my purchase is.

If the disc-brake option is close in aerodynamics to the rim-wheeled version then the issue of 'effective braking' comes into play. On the one hand the mechanical disc brake would be a good coupling for the USE Tula aerobars but you wouldn't be getting much in terms of improved braking compared to rim based options, as far as I understand. So we're left with hydraulic brakes versus rim brakes and there is no doubt that in the dry the benefits are minimal but on wet and technical courses the hydraulic option wins. Finally, this is all new applications of disc braking tchnology and I feel we're a long way off from having the best solutions for time trial purposes. Obviously if we're talking about what you can buy today then the disc option seems a bit contrived, like the bike industry is forcing us into a new standard. However, what is the potential five years down the road?

SteveMc
Quote Reply
Re: QR to launch a new bike at kona [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:

Of course there is a chance that they will come up with some BS such as 'optimized for disc brakes", but I am somewhat giddy about the possibility that it might be otherwise the same frame front end.

Besides the wider rear spacing for disc hubs, I suspect the the left chainstay will be noticeably different, possibly more like the PR3. The PR6 LEA chainstay doesn't really allow for a disc brake mount. It might be possible to mount a hydraulic brake with a fairing that duplicates the LEA stay, but mechanical calipers usually extend out beyond the stay. So I'm guessing either an LEA stay with a cut-out for the brake, or a more conventional stay similar to the PR3...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you not like the original PR6 or do you just not like disc brakes on tri bikes?

I've had a lot of tri bikes over the years, including Cervelos, Kestrels, Kuotas, Treks, Specializeds, and Centurions. My PR6 is, hands down, the best I've ever owned and ridden. And I say that with an Ultegra and Reynolds mid-spec build, where most of my previous ones were DA-and-Zipp type of builds, etc.

Plenty of good bikes I haven't tried, sure. But not sure I could find a yawn in QR's line right now.
Quote Reply
Re: QR to launch a new bike at kona [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBriGuy wrote:
Do you not like the original PR6 or do you just not like disc brakes on tri bikes?

I've had a lot of tri bikes over the years, including Cervelos, Kestrels, Kuotas, Treks, Specializeds, and Centurions. My PR6 is, hands down, the best I've ever owned and ridden. And I say that with an Ultegra and Reynolds mid-spec build, where most of my previous ones were DA-and-Zipp type of builds, etc.

Plenty of good bikes I haven't tried, sure. But not sure I could find a yawn in QR's line right now.

Oh, I think the PR6 is nice. I just find the addition of disc brakes (and nothing else) to be a pretty boring and un-necessary 'upgrade'.
The only thing I'd like to have changed on the current PR6 is to have an integrated front brake like the speed concept or Cervelo P5, not because of aerodynamics, but just because I like the way it looks... :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
The only thing I'd like to have changed on the current PR6 is to have an integrated front brake, not because of aerodynamics, but just because I like the way it looks... :)

At least you're honest. I think a Tri Rig front brake, with the cable routed straight up, is a pretty miniscule aero penalty. The exposed brake does make it pretty easy to work on, and that's part of the point of a PRsix.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: QR to launch a new bike at kona [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed....and part of why I really love the bike. Super easy to deal with for travel or routine maintenance. I have a TriRig on the rear brake to provide powermeter clearance. I'll be mounting another TriRig on the front during this offseason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
The only thing I'd like to have changed on the current PR6 is to have an integrated front brake like the speed concept or Cervelo P5, not because of aerodynamics, but just because I like the way it looks... :)

Quote:
“The way we see it,” QR’s marketing director said, “is that nobody’s ever complained about Ultegra brakes."

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: QR to launch a new bike at kona [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gabbiev wrote:
Runner Rick wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
The only thing I'd like to have changed on the current PR6 is to have an integrated front brake, not because of aerodynamics, but just because I like the way it looks... :)

At least you're honest. I think a Tri Rig front brake, with the cable routed straight up, is a pretty miniscule aero penalty. The exposed brake does make it pretty easy to work on, and that's part of the point of a PRsix.

That's how I'm running my PR6--TriRig front brake. The stock Shimano direct mounts are fantastic; the only reason why I swapped out the front was that I couldn't get the pads wide enough when I bought my Hed 3 Plus (the training edge of the pads would hit the inside of the fork). It's an elegant--and fast--bike design. Won't comment on the necessity of discs

Chicken ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Official. To their credit, looks like pretty tidy cabling to the brakes. Still not sure I'd pick it over a rim brake version if I were buying new...
Quote Reply

Prev Next