Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
QR pr6 versus BMC di2
Quote | Reply
Quintanaroo pr6 ultegra di2 vs BMC 2015 di2

Rode both of them this past weekend, they both felt the same, didn't favor one over the other. Regarding price point, I'd slap the same wheels on the BMC which makes both bikes the around the same price.

Any BMC peeps or QR peeps that can tell me why they love their bike? Which one should I get and why?
Quote Reply
Re: QR pr6 versus BMC di2 [Iluvekiwi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I absolutely love my BMC TM01! Rides amazing, looks amazing, and very easy to work on. What else can you ask for? :-)

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Re: QR pr6 versus BMC di2 [audiojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had a TM-01 since they were introduced and I replaced it this year with a S-Works Shiv. The Time Machine is hard to travel with, hard to keep tuned, really hard to adjust, and flexed quite a bit more that I liked. For ease of living with it I would get the QR given the choices.
Quote Reply
Re: QR pr6 versus BMC di2 [atgnat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply, when at times riding did you find that there was too much flexing for you? I like to climb somewhat when riding and training
Quote Reply
Re: QR pr6 versus BMC di2 [audiojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which color way do you have? I'm also hesitant about getting the TM01 because I feel like BMC is going to drop a new frame or something like that at the end of this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From a stop or climbing there is material flex. I have the original black with red stripe team colors. It's a beautiful bike, but I am not that into working on bikes and I wanted something more straightforward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Owned two Time Machines (and never had issues with flex). Touched a few PR6's in person, but never rode one. The QR has significantly more stack, so it would be a good choice to avoid a bunch of stem spacers.

If the rides felt the same and the prices are similar, it probably comes down to two things:

If you do UCI sanction events, the Time Machine is your only option.

Do you do your own mechanic work? If you don't have an intermediate level of wrenchability and don't want to pay somebody else, the BMC should not be an option. Time Machines are kind of a pain to work on. The TM01 even more so.. The QR looks much easier to work on and travel with.

Still undecided? Pick the one that looks coolest standing still.
Last edited by: dangle: Jan 7, 15 7:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Qr because it's an innovative company and pr6 is an awesome bike that you don't see everyday. Idk how they fit tho
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Jan 6, 15 14:10
Quote Reply
Re: QR pr6 versus BMC di2 [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the feedback, thank you!

Unfortunately I don't Have any bike mechanic skills, I've been spoilt with my road bike which the shop I bought at takes care of everything.

What is meant by "stack"? I predominately do triathlons regarding uci sanctions.

The rides felt mostly equal, the turn radius of a tri bike will take some getting use to. As for looks, I like the colors of the BMC but dislike seeing the carbon as opposed to the QR that has the matte black, though the big green QR logo takes some getting use to
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stack is how tall the front end is pretty much. A high stack will bring your upper body higher. The stack you want is a compromise between comfort and aero. A bike with low stack will bring you low and more aero typically but being folded up like a lawn chair isn't very comfortable. Ideally you would want your upper body to be parallel with the ground and your knee to be far away from your torso when at the top of the pedal stroke. There's reach too. Most definitely look into bike fit and understand what stack and reach are before you get either. See which one you fit better on before you bust out k's cause the amount of drag you'll gain from a poor fit could negate the advantage gained from a new frame. Also poor fit will limit the amount of power you dump out and comfort see what's good for you. Maybe the uncomfort from aero fit won't be sustained until mile 87 and you ride 25 miles on base bars versus a more conservative position that you can sustain aero bars for your entire race and produce more power. If you aren't sure I would get the more aero fit then use spacers risers etc to bring you up if you decide you don't like it.... but I think pr6 is cool lol
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Jan 6, 15 16:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iluvekiwi wrote:
What is meant by "stack"?

I think you may be a little ahead of yourself on your bike search.

Slowtwitch is huge on proper bike fit. If you look to the top of this very page, you will see 'STACK & REACH' listed...or a column of tools on the right of several pages. The best place to start would be http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Chapter_One_95.html.

Normally somebody in the market for an $8500 bike would have done some sort of proper bike fitting and been told by the fitter what bike they should be riding. THE FIT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING WHEN CHOOSING A TRI BIKE. There are cool machines like a Guru which move around under you until you find the 'best' fit for you. Then the machine knows your measurements/coordinates and can recommend the bike that would best fit those coordinates. Check out the Slowtwitch Fitter Database and find somebody that will be able to tell you what your perfect bike is. Don't bother debating "which bike to get" until you know exactly what bike your body was designed to be on.

I promise you that there are people reading this thread and saying, "Holy s***, this guy/girl is going to spend 8.5k on a bike and doesn't know his fit/stack & reach!" Spend some time reading up on bike fit and then get the bike of your dreams that fits. I'm not suggesting the BMC or QR won't fit you, but that kind of investment should be verified by an expert (fitter) in the field.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
Iluvekiwi wrote:

What is meant by "stack"?

I think you may be a little ahead of yourself on your bike search.

Slowtwitch is huge on proper bike fit. If you look to the top of this very page, you will see 'STACK & REACH' listed...or a column of tools on the right of several pages. The best place to start would be http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Chapter_One_95.html.

Normally somebody in the market for an $8500 bike would have done some sort of proper bike fitting and been told by the fitter what bike they should be riding. THE FIT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING WHEN CHOOSING A TRI BIKE. There are cool machines like a Guru which move around under you until you find the 'best' fit for you. Then the machine knows your measurements/coordinates and can recommend the bike that would best fit those coordinates. Check out the Slowtwitch Fitter Database and find somebody that will be able to tell you what your perfect bike is. Don't bother debating "which bike to get" until you know exactly what bike your body was designed to be on.

I promise you that there are people reading this thread and saying, "Holy s***, this guy/girl is going to spend 8.5k on a bike and doesn't know his fit/stack & reach!" Spend some time reading up on bike fit and then get the bike of your dreams that fits. I'm not suggesting the BMC or QR won't fit you, but that kind of investment should be verified by an expert (fitter) in the field.

+1 to this and to the QR being easier to travel/maintain. I was looking at the BMC myself briefly but kept seeing the same issues from multiple people who owned them. Start out by getting the fit first and foremost though. There is nothing worse then showing up to your fitting after the purchase to have the fitter say "This bikes geometry is completely wrong for you, I can't salvage a good fit here" (this happened to me with my first TT bike)

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the reply, I must admit I am limited in the terminology but I have the good people my local bike shop nytro taking care of me fitwise. Most likely will use their retul bike fit once again. I can see where the WTFs would be coming from lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Hopefully Nytro takes care of you well. Too many people (like myself) have bought something pretty online that wasn't a good fit and ended up being a horrible investment. I'm glad you're above that. Good luck and keep us updated!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iluvekiwi wrote:
Quintanaroo pr6 ultegra di2 vs BMC 2015 di2

Rode both of them this past weekend, they both felt the same, didn't favor one over the other. Regarding price point, I'd slap the same wheels on the BMC which makes both bikes the around the same price.

Any BMC peeps or QR peeps that can tell me why they love their bike? Which one should I get and why?

I would like to resurrect your thread and update the question to:

2017/18 QR PR6 w regular brakes and Ui2 vs 2017/18 BMC TM01 'three' w regular brakes and Ui2

I simply cannot find any reliable wind tunnel testing on the new BMC; and company reps will only say it is faster than the previous TM01.

If you had a choice of either at the same price point which would you get and why?

Edit - I've updated my bike fit and the BMC M/S and QR Size 50 are my size. I have a 2012 BMC TM01 (size M/S) that I've carted all around the world. However, the new BMC is probably the easiest bike in the world to travel with since you can slide the entire cockpit straight off the front after releasing a few cables and a couple of bolts.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Dec 20, 17 10:04
Quote Reply
Re: QR pr6 versus BMC di2 [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump! So no-one has an opinion on which bike Santa should bring me?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't speak about a comparison but I have a 2016 PRsix and I love it. I'm not an uber-cyclist and the minor aerodynamic differences (if any) between this and the BMC probably would affect my decision. What I do like is the easy with which it can be disassembled for travel. I only have to loosen five bolts to pack this is a travel case. Plus, the asymmetrical drive train looks cool.
Quote Reply
Re: QR pr6 versus BMC di2 [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The PR6 would definitely be easier to travel with than my old TMO1, but the new ones are ingenious and easier to disassemble than the PR6. Does yours have electric shifting? Do you have to disconnect the wires at the junction box to lay the cockpit over?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
The PR6 would definitely be easier to travel with than my old TMO1, but the new ones are ingenious and easier to disassemble than the PR6. Does yours have electric shifting? Do you have to disconnect the wires at the junction box to lay the cockpit over?

No, I went manual so I can't answer your question. Ping QR. They're very responsive (although I would suspect they'll be a delay this time of year).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aerodynamically, both are similar. Working on both is easy. One post talked about the BMC being easy. QR is known for being easy and can be taken apart with two allen wrenches. They both use hi-mod carbon which will make them ride well.

It comes down to which is better given your bike fit and which you like better.

I chose a QR PR6 disc because getting a bike with disc brakes was super important to me (not to start the rants by those who agree or disagree), but everyone's choices are different.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: QR pr6 versus BMC di2 [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanrafaeltri wrote:
I chose a QR PR6 disc because getting a bike with disc brakes was super important to me (not to start the rants by those who agree or disagree), but everyone's choices are different.

How do you like the disc brakes? I'm contemplating upgrading to (i.e. buying) a PRsix disc once the new color schemes are available.
Quote Reply
Re: QR pr6 versus BMC di2 [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No one has gotten their PR6 disc yet that I know of. Their first shipment is going out now. I should get mine in next two weeks. I could be wrong, but this is what I have heard. I have had bikes with disc brakes before and I really like them. I feel more confident.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanrafaeltri wrote:
Aerodynamically, both are similar. Working on both is easy. One post talked about the BMC being easy. QR is known for being easy and can be taken apart with two allen wrenches. They both use hi-mod carbon which will make them ride well.

It comes down to which is better given your bike fit and which you like better.

Given that most people agree 'peak aero' has been reached by bike manufacturers, this is "probably" true but I haven't seen jack squat that would prove it. Do you have a source?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
admittedly it is from quintana roo's website, but assuming they did the test the same for all bikes, which seems pretty likely, the BMC PR6 and a few others are pretty close. there are others that aren't so close as you can see on the graph, bikes folks advocate for pretty strongly here on ST.

https://shop.quintanarootri.com/...x-disc-electric-blue

if you don't see the graph click on tech features.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi

Yours opinions are the same? I am looking differents bikes (PRsix, canyon CF SLX y Kestrel 5000 SL) and i think that Prsix is a good option. ¿Do you have more information to update the information of this thread?

Regards
Last edited by: felipe.g.c: Oct 24, 18 7:37
Quote Reply

Prev Next