Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

QBox on PR five
Quote | Reply
I know the QBox is specific to the six. However, has anyone here been creative and managed to install it on the five?
If so, care to share how?
Quote Reply
Re: QBox on PR five [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know of one.

The dude used some kind of automotive double sided tape (?) and sold the impression that it was solid.

I didn't get my hands on it but it did raise my interest. If I knew that the box was safe, I'd prefer that method as opposed to drilling holes.

This is where I saw it...
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/...quintana%20roo%20pr5

"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He must be a STer.

Link showed a good pic yesterday but it's a dead end now. Hope you saw it before it vanished.

"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Quote Reply
Re: QBox on PR five [morpheus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the Q Box is an unbelievably low-priced addition to a PR5 and is one of the things that makes the PR6 better than the PR5, i.e., adding the Q Box to the PR5 largely bridges the gap between the 2 models. the low price is my read if what i'm seeing from trisports.com is real, that is, only $65.

it needs to come WITH THE SLIDER when you buy it. the slider attaches with 3M 2-sided tape, but better yet if with epoxy, like 3M epoxy, or some other ridiculously strong epoxy (i have good luck with simpson strong tie).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: QBox on PR five [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info Dan!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You actually have one in hand? I just purchase a PRsix (albeit, a non-race Di2 version) and my LBS ordered the Qbox with the bike. The bike arrive in days; the Qbox is still on back order. The LBS indicated there's such a demand that they're having trouble fulfilling the needs of the PRsix race bike let alone add-ons.
Quote Reply
Re: QBox on PR five [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't. Apparently available early June for the color and size I want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a "statement" about the Qbox found on Trisports:

The Qbox is exclusive to the 2016 PRsix. QR Branded accessory items such as the Qbox are designed to be mounted specifically onto select QR frames. Any modification or alteration of a Qbox or frame in order to mount a Qbox to a frame not specifically designed for such an accessory is not only unsafe and can result in injury or death, but will void the frame and/or Qbox warranty.

I don't believe the Qbox will work on the 2015 frames:
Can this be added to the 2015 QR PR6?
A.
Customer Service: This cannot be added to a 2015 version. The 2016 PR6 has threaded bosses to connect this box whereas the 2015 version lacks them. It is not recommended you drill into your frame to retrofit this box as it will void your warranty. I apologize for that and wish it was compatible with previous years.

Quote Reply
Re: QBox on PR five [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you can't drill into the frame. this must be attached via epoxy or 2-sided epoxy tape.

i'll find out if this can be used on the PR5 (notwithstanding the warning). when i say "can be used" i'm saying it'll either fit or it won't. this is an unauthorized hack. i'm not recommending you do it or saying the manufacturer says you can or should do it. i'm saying it'll fit. or it won't. then you make up your own mind if you want to do it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: QBox on PR five [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I trust Dan's opinion on QR ;)
Quote Reply
Re: QBox on PR five [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The QBox for my PR6 finally arrived. Aside from the functionality, it makes the bike look awesomer.

HandHeartCrown wrote:

You actually have one in hand? I just purchase a PRsix (albeit, a non-race Di2 version) and my LBS ordered the Qbox with the bike. The bike arrive in days; the Qbox is still on back order. The LBS indicated there's such a demand that they're having trouble fulfilling the needs of the PRsix race bike let alone add-ons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just recently installed a QBox on my 2015 PRSix. I used the automotive accessory tape 3M sells for mounting car accessories. I ordered 1/2 inch, molding tape and put two strips side by side, which covers the mounting bracket completely--I trimmed it down a bit but not much, maybe 1/16 of an inch. It is rock solid so far but I am not putting a lot of weight inside it. Just a tube, CO2 nozzle, tire levers, and patch kit. Although it's not a PRFive, it's supposed to be the same frame geometry, so I'll bet it works just fine on the PRfive. No drilling this way!

My CO2 cartridges are in my bento box.

Three weeks in and no loosening of the QBox.

As an aside, although the light isn't super bright, it's plenty in twilight or darker conditions to keep motorists aware of my presence. It's nice being able to hit the switch while still in the saddle.
Last edited by: KAPshus: Aug 2, 16 13:54
Quote Reply
Re: QBox on PR five [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
you can't drill into the frame. this must be attached via epoxy or 2-sided epoxy tape.
when i say "can be used" i'm saying it'll either fit or it won't. this is an unauthorized hack. i'm not recommending you do it or saying the manufacturer says you can or should do it. i'm saying it'll fit. or it won't. then you make up your own mind if you want to do it.

Actually a pretty easy process to put the Qbox on a 2015 PRsix

Got the Qbox from Trisports and the double sided 3M tape from Autozone. I've ridden it for about a month (including IM Augusta 70.3) and no issues so far.

Totally unauthorized procedure with pics here

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: QBox on PR five [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice!

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
I trust Dan's opinion on QR ;)

You act like he used to own it (pink)
Quote Reply