Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Purplepatch VTS
Quote | Reply
Anyone use Dixon's Virtual Training Squad this year?

I am considering it for 2015 and would love to hear some feedback.
Quote Reply
Re: Purplepatch VTS [StuckJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
post holiday bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am biased as I have used the program before and know many people that do but I think it's an excellent program with a lot of great resources. Hard to beat the value as well. Also FWIW, there are two guys that are 8:54 and 8:48 ironman athletes that have come out of VTS. You'll be hard pressed to find another program better than this.

Team Every Man Jack / Purplepatch Fitness / Tower 26 / Felt Bicycles / http://ironhoya.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Purplepatch VTS [IronHoya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm considering also and haven't found alot of useful info online either so here's a bunch of questions for you.

How custom is the program?

Is it tailored to individual strengths/hours available/days you can do certain workouts (ie I work regular hours so 3+ hour workouts on a weekday are rough, and can only swim certain days) etc.?

What are the workouts/instructions/guidance like?

Is it really just a stock program with a forum and some info or do you get more than that?

What I'm really trying to find is a semi custom plan that can be tailored a little to my circumstances/strengths/goals but I don't need alot of handholding from a coach once I'm set up, would this fit the bill?
Quote Reply
Re: Purplepatch VTS [renolaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renolaw wrote:
I'm considering also and haven't found alot of useful info online either so here's a bunch of questions for you.

How custom is the program?

Is it tailored to individual strengths/hours available/days you can do certain workouts (ie I work regular hours so 3+ hour workouts on a weekday are rough, and can only swim certain days) etc.?

What are the workouts/instructions/guidance like?

Is it really just a stock program with a forum and some info or do you get more than that?

What I'm really trying to find is a semi custom plan that can be tailored a little to my circumstances/strengths/goals but I don't need alot of handholding from a coach once I'm set up, would this fit the bill?

Myself and many of my EMJ team mates have Matt as a coach. I would call it a semi-custom plan with a TON of access to Matt weekly via video chats etc... His plans are effective and concise but flexible the same time; Hardly ever a workout longer than 2 hours mid-week. He understands the science and implements it well! I can only speak for myself and my team mates but I, we've seen huge gains and most of us were pretty solid athletes to begin with... 13 guys going to Kona and 4 of the last 5 North American IM amateur titles belong to PP/EMJ athletes...:)

D

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Quote Reply
Re: Purplepatch VTS [renolaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Renolaw,

The plan is highly flexible but it does require the athlete to put a LITTLE work into creating the weekly schedule that suits him/her best. For example, you know going into each week which are your key workouts and those that are supporting, so to speak. You can then more easily organize your training schedule into your daily life/work schedule rather than killing yourself to fit in that 3hr ride on a weekday like you mention.

Each workout has a goal which is clearly spelled out--otherwise what's the point, right? And the intervals, focus, etc are all laid out for you. You're not going to be training just to accumulate mindless hours, miles or yards.

You've also got a lot of education and resources at your disposal. There is a wealth of information and contact with other athletes via the online portal, 24/7 support, the twice weekly Meetings with Matt (sort of an office hours via Google Hangout). Basically, high quality, high touch, high performance.

To your last question, there is a Beta program underway in which the plan becomes HIGHLY customized and the athlete works with a coach/personal assistant to tailor the program to fit their schedule, strengths/weaknesses, goals, answer questions, you name it. This should launch around the end of October.

I highly recommend you take a look. What race(s) are you training for right now?
Last edited by: mcborowski: Sep 3, 14 12:24
Quote Reply
Re: Purplepatch VTS [mcborowski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input gents. Sounds like it's definitely worth a closer look and an email to Matt. I'm doing a late season IM next year with a few 70.3s late spring and summer. Really trying to get to Kona but I'm stuck on a plateau and am about 20-30 min too slow in a best case scenario right now... I tried throwing high volume at it over the last few years which has just burned me out, so I need a switch. Matt's book seemed to have alot of great practical thoughts/info/philosophies so the VTS is pretty interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Purplepatch VTS [dmounts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
D

I am also currently looking at the VTS program. I have a more detailed email sent to info at purplepatch, but here is the more concise verision,

My main race will be Im Placid in July '15. So now is my off season.

Swim:
Assuming I enter into the VTS this month or next would I no longer need the Masters Swim Classes, becase all of the Swim sessions needed are accounted for in the VTS? One benefit they provide is 'competition'. Also, do you know if the VTS program provides a way to analyze my swim stoke? If I upload files?

Biking:
I do almost all of my sessions indoor to minimize risk to lost training time due to an accident, and also to ensure I am hitting my metrics for ftp. This past season I got a power meter, and was looking to keep increasing my ftp. On race day i can set a pace of 70-80% of my ftp.

I was looking to upgrade from a cycleops fluid power to a compu trainer or kickr, and was going to look at sufferfest videos / traniner road workouts. Again, if I move into VTS, would I no longer need sufferfest/trainer road workouts?

Run:
Dont have anything specific here

FItness
I have the TRX, and do know from web searches that Matt has routines based around TRX. I am hoping he has this available in the VTS program for folks who indicate they have the TRX system.

Nutrition
Im 5'8" and 165lbs, and looking to race at or below 160. I like following Matt Fitzgeralds nutrition advcie, but open to hearing an alternative viewpoint.

In general....How to we post our metrics of our workouts? If I have a Garmin Swim, 500 and FR220 I am able to send all of the data, or to we collaborate over Trainingpeaks or another area?

Thanks,

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Purplepatch VTS [mcollins0605] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcollins0605 wrote:
D

I am also currently looking at the VTS program. I have a more detailed email sent to info at purplepatch, but here is the more concise verision,

My main race will be Im Placid in July '15. So now is my off season.

Swim:
Assuming I enter into the VTS this month or next would I no longer need the Masters Swim Classes, becase all of the Swim sessions needed are accounted for in the VTS? One benefit they provide is 'competition'. Also, do you know if the VTS program provides a way to analyze my swim stoke? If I upload files?
Masters would be good to keep and Matt will even put in "Masters workout or a specific workout written by Matt" in the plan.. I am not aware of any stroke analysis but he may offer it..

Biking:
I do almost all of my sessions indoor to minimize risk to lost training time due to an accident, and also to ensure I am hitting my metrics for ftp. This past season I got a power meter, and was looking to keep increasing my ftp. On race day i can set a pace of 70-80% of my ftp.

I was looking to upgrade from a cycleops fluid power to a compu trainer or kickr, and was going to look at sufferfest videos / traniner road workouts. Again, if I move into VTS, would I no longer need sufferfest/trainer road workouts?

Most workouts are written for both a trainer and outside. I build his workouts intoTrainerroad.com I use a Kicker- the BEST combination available IMO! Most of us ride almost exclusively indoors on the trainer midweek.

Run:
Dont have anything specific here

FItness
I have the TRX, and do know from web searches that Matt has routines based around TRX. I am hoping he has this available in the VTS program for folks who indicate they have the TRX system. Functional strength is included. I am not aware of any TRX specific programs but they may exist...

Nutrition
Im 5'8" and 165lbs, and looking to race at or below 160. I like following Matt Fitzgeralds nutrition advcie, but open to hearing an alternative viewpoint. Matt periodically puts out special supplementals on a variety of topics including nutrition...

In general....How to we post our metrics of our workouts? If I have a Garmin Swim, 500 and FR220 I am able to send all of the data, or to we collaborate over Trainingpeaks or another area? I use training peaks as my portal for all my VTS workouts. Whatever plan you are on gets uploaded into TP and go from there. VTS is not 1 on 1 personal coaching. No one will be looking at your numbers on a regular basis. Thats not to say you could go over them in a video chat or email but they are not monitoring training peaks or anything like that!

Thanks,

Mike

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
D,

Thank you for your reply. Your information has been most helpful.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am probably going to join VTS for 2015 and I am looking for some insight from members.

First, I had planned on doing a 50k in January and then starting but after reading his book, I am thinking I should scrap the 50k and work on swimming and let the legs fully recovery, as he talks about post season training.

Second, I currently have a Power meter, I have been thinking about getting rid of it since I am getting tired of always chasing numbers. Is a PM something I would need for the VTS.

A little insight, "A" race will be Chatt 2015 with a "B" race half in mid April. This will be my 4th IM.

I pretty much have trained the last 4 years without an off season and want to try a completely different approach this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Purplepatch VTS [Rover24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rover24,

I've been in similar shoes. Not so much going without an offseason but going without a structured postseason and preseason to prepare my body for the demands of IM training. At any rate, we do tend to focus a little more heavily on the swim in the postseason and generally break up the run volume by increasing frequency and decreasing duration as it is generally the hardest of the three disciplines on the body.

It may be that scrapping your 50K is the right move just due to the sheer physiological impact it has but it's in January and your A race isn't until September. Matt would tell you that you don't want to put on your 'Ironman hat' so early in the season that you become burned out when it's time to really get into heavy IM training. Having other races earlier in the year whether they be Olympic, 70.3 or possibly a 50K run, help to keep you interested and offer opportunity to work on the little things in racing as well as test fitness, etc.

I use a power meter and love to dork out on the numbers. It isn't that Matt is negative on PMs, he agrees they are useful tools but doesn't want us to 'chase numbers' as you say. You're more apt to train in particular zones as opposed to a range of watts, if that makes sense. There's no need to get rid of your Power Meter nor is it a pre-req for Matt's workouts.

Hope that helps. There is more info on the website http://www.purplepatchfitness.com or feel free to DM me and I can give you my email address.
Quote Reply
Re: Purplepatch VTS [mcborowski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info, I think maybe a pre season with a lot of swimming and some functional strength might be good for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You bet. I think that kind of pre season might be good for a lot of us...myself included.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That 50k will have ZERO effect on your IM in my opinion. It sao far out and I would think you wont go into a 50k without major base running miles so if anything it give you time to swim-bike focus then ramp up running.

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Re: Purplepatch VTS [thirstygreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thirstygreek wrote:
That 50k will have ZERO effect on your IM in my opinion. It sao far out and I would think you wont go into a 50k without major base running miles so if anything it give you time to swim-bike focus then ramp up running.

The 50k is a long way from the IM, the reason though was to allow the legs to fully recover from last season. In Matt Dixons Book, The Well Built Triathlete he likes to have a post season that focuses on swim/bike to allow full recovery of your legs.
I just finished IM chatt and have transitioned straight to my 50k plan, with tired legs. I am just second guessing it and wondering if I would be better off skipping it and starting VTS now.

I want to try a completely different season this year.
I had minimal gains over the last few years and worked hard to get there. I trained very consistently but probably overloaded the volume, thinking I needed to pound the pavement no matter how tired my legs were and how bad my form was.
If my running slowed, as it always seemed to do the later the season got, I would try to run more thinking I wasn't doing enough. Then to top it off I thought I needed to hammer every bike session because that's the only way to get to the magic FTP I wanted. Finish all that off with swimming the least amount possible because it didn't give it enough credit and no wonder my gains are small.
Not allowing for recovery and adaption to take place I dig a deep hole every season training for IM.

I did however get really good at training to be fatigued and slow!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
StuckJB wrote:

Bumping this to see if you went with the VTS this year or not.

Would like to hear anyone else chime in on their experience with VTS?

Not totally sure I understand the complete structure of everything....

Online coaching, but the plan you have is very customized to you, before and during your training cycle?

Sounds like Dixon holds weekly google chats where you can chime in with questions?

How exactly does this program differ from other online coaching?
Quote Reply
Re: Purplepatch VTS [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bcagle25 wrote:
StuckJB wrote:

Bumping this to see if you went with the VTS this year or not.

Would like to hear anyone else chime in on their experience with VTS?

Not totally sure I understand the complete structure of everything....

Online coaching, but the plan you have is very customized to you, before and during your training cycle?

Sounds like Dixon holds weekly google chats where you can chime in with questions?

How exactly does this program differ from other online coaching?

I've been with PPF for 3 years now and have really loved it.

Yes it is online coaching, but you customize your weekly template. For example my key sessions (don't miss sessions) are Bike: W/F/Sat Run: Thur/Sun Swim: T/Th/Sun and strength M/F There are optional sessions peppered throughout like a 45 min easy z2 run on rolling hills, etc type of thing. You also send in your race cal and your training blocks will be built around those A races. They can also help planning out your season.

The Google Hangouts are great and you can ask some specific questions which he will answer for both you then give a more global answer that can help others with a similar question. They also offer online email support (called Plan Support) which gets a 24hr feedback time. These questions can be anything.

I haven't used any other online coach, so I'm not totally sure how it differs, but one thing you do get is a massive knowledge base of info from Dixon, his pros and his asst. coaches. Course recon, nutritional info, bike fit info, etc. He also has a great strength training program that is attached with the plan.

If you have anymore questions I'll be happy to answer via PM or on here. Best of luck in 2016.

Cheers,

Chipper
Quote Reply
Re: Purplepatch VTS [chipnicodemus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Chipper, good feedback and gives me a good idea of what they offer and can provide me.

Emailed out to them, setting up a phone call to chat more in detail, still debating my options going forward for the next few years. Would love to hear others responses and experiences with Purplepatch VTS.
Quote Reply
Re: Purplepatch VTS [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ben,

I work with Matt Dixon at purplepatch and he is also my coach (naturally). Here are a few points to take into consideration. Regardless of the level of programming, 1) ALL workouts are written by Matt Dixon, 2) we don't like generic plans so, as Chipper mentioned, all programs are tailored not only to the athlete's race schedule but also to their life. Training shouldn't be dumped onto an already hectic life but integrated into it. and 3) athletes receive more than just a training plan - the biggest gains arguably come from the education and feedback that Chipper referenced.

If you have any trouble chatting with someone directly or just have a question, feel free to PM me and I'll give you my email address.

Thanks,

Matt B. (not Matt D. ;) )
Quote Reply