Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Purchasing a PowerTap G3
Quote | Reply
Anyone see any problem purchasing a powertap G3 that is 2 years old. What is the typical lifespan of these power meters? It has 1000 miles on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Purchasing a PowerTap G3 [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not sure of their lifespan (I would suspect many, many k miles) but I bought one similar to yours on ST last year. Other than a recent battery replacement, works like a charm.
Quote Reply
Re: Purchasing a PowerTap G3 [bullshark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Powertap do not have to be sent back for batery change correct?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only system I know of that requires being sent back is an SRM.

Battery changes in a G3 hub are pretty much painless. Unless, of course, removing a wheel from a bike is a traumatizing experience. :P

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No they do not have to be sent back for battery changes and it's pretty straightforward to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure the spoke count on the hub and wheel you intend to use align or it can get messy. I've had mine for this season and I absolutely love it to death.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 3 year old SL+ with close to 6000 miles on it and I've only ever had to replace the battery a few times. I also have a G3 that's not as old but has the same number of miles and again, I change the battery when it dies.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2010 powertap pro+ with at least 20,000miles on it and still going strong. Battery changes are easy.
Quote Reply
Re: Purchasing a PowerTap G3 [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
I have a 3 year old SL+ with close to 6000 miles on it and I've only ever had to replace the battery a few times. I also have a G3 that's not as old but has the same number of miles and again, I change the battery when it dies.

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone see the torque value on calibration start to get out of whack as the battery gets low? Mine starts off around the 512 mark but within a couple months is down to say 505. As soon as I change the battery it magically goes back up to 512ish. Is this normal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got I believe a 2010 or 2011 Pro. It had the old axel. Was upgraded to 15mm. Then another trip down to upgrade to G3.

Lots of miles on mine and it's NEVER missed a beat....ever. It's amazingly reliable. Now I'm buying a new one just cause.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Purchasing a PowerTap G3 [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Normal:)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are good. They last. Years ago when they were more expensive they were less reliable. I own a shop and we have sold 30-40 over the last couple years with zero serious issues.

When you change the battery don't over tighten the cap.

I got one on a HED C2+ rim, with tubeless a 24 turbo tire, it's sweet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IanH wrote:

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone see the torque value on calibration start to get out of whack as the battery gets low? Mine starts off around the 512 mark but within a couple months is down to say 505. As soon as I change the battery it magically goes back up to 512ish. Is this normal?

Sounds like a bug to me although sometimes mine does that :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IanH wrote:
rbuike wrote:

Yes. The calibration getting funky is definitely indicative of the battery getting low.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be sure to download the Cyleops software and update the firmware. You will need a micro usb cable. It is easy to do and can be done when you change the battery.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Re: Purchasing a PowerTap G3 [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finally killed an Elite+ after five years and probably around 20,000 or so miles. For around $400 Powertap replaced my old hub with a new G3 one. My Pro+ is going strong in my race wheels. Those don't see much use and are around 5 years old.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Purchasing a PowerTap G3 [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cshowe80 wrote:
Make sure the spoke count on the hub and wheel you intend to use align or it can get messy. I've had mine for this season and I absolutely love it to death.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I will pull the trigger on the used one. cshowe80...this particular hub comes already in a wheelset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also looking at a used PT. Is there a good guide out there to the different models/generations and the differences?

From what I'm gathering from this thread - five years is about the expected life with moderate to heavy use?
Quote Reply
Re: Purchasing a PowerTap G3 [greenlawnracing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My powertap just died but it was really old with at least 20k miles on it. The things are bomb proof. I was debating sending it back to have G3 internals installed, but the wheel is so old at this point I'm not sure it's worth it...