Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Puerto Rico 70.3 Hotels
Quote | Reply
Anyone who has done Puerto Rico 70.3, can you provide me with Hotel feedback. I am partial to Hilton since I use them while travelling for work and am thinking about staying at the Caribe Hilton. Want a hotel that is close on race day and then will be a good spot to relax with the family for the week following the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Puerto Rico 70.3 Hotels [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
San Juan can be a bit hectic...check out Rincon or Culebra.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stayed at the condado hilton right next to swim start.

The walk to transition and back in the morning was a little annoying, you'd have to walk one way for the swim start even if at the caribe hilton so not a huge difference.

I really liked just being able to have normal clothes on though to go setup transition, then get back to the hotel relax a bit and just walk down to swim start cap and goggle in hand barefoot.

The GF stayed in the room and just watched from the balcony. So for family in the morning I think it can be a little more convenient too. Not sure I'll do that race again anytime soon just to mix things up but would probably chose that hotel again. Neat view of the city too over the lagoon at night, chairs on the balcony were a little flimsy for sex but we made it work ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh for after we left San juan, did 2 nights in the mountains 2 nights in the southwest and then 1 night in old san juan. Hindsight we wish we spent more time in old san juan.

This place was beautiful, not much near it but beautiful views:

http://hotelcasagrande.com/en/

The SW was just a bland hotel thing near the water, don't recall what it was. But we could walk right out the back into the cabo rojo park in el combate

We wanted to stay here in old SJ but it was booked:

http://www.thegalleryinn.com/

Stayed here and it was neat, weird but neat:

http://dahousehotel.com/

lots of reviews said on the weekends the club downstairs was loud, I don't recall noticing it to be honest.

Had dinner here only but suggested it to my parents if they went
http://www.elconvento.com/

Also if you haven't noticed yet taxes and resort fees are insane there, expect to pay in some places another 20% plus onto of the cost of the room.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The caribe is on the cove where the swim is, the condado is on the other side of the bridge from it.

Caribe is a nicer hotel, ocean side of candado is not bad, beware they do have another building across the street (that seems to be older as well) if ocean view is a priority.
Quote Reply
Re: Puerto Rico 70.3 Hotels [chris948] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chris948 wrote:
The caribe is on the cove where the swim is, the condado is on the other side of the bridge from it.

Caribe is next to swim finish, short walk to transition in the morning long walk to swim start.

Condado is next to swim start, long walk to transition in the morning short walk to swim start.

The side overlooking the lagoon where 90% of the swim occurs is older on the outside but our room was probably renovated within the last few years and had no complaints about it's quality, Caribe probably nicer. Certainly wouldn't say the caribe is where the swim is, that is like saying miami is where the swim is in reference to people swimming from cuba.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Caribe is probably the easy button. We stayed at the Condado and it was fine too, but I think there will be more for your family to do around the Caribe. As mentioned, it doesn't make much difference for the race start because you're going to T1 to set up at some point in the morning and it is a long walk from there to the swim start which is basically across the street from the Condado.
Quote Reply
Re: Puerto Rico 70.3 Hotels [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
chris948 wrote:
The caribe is on the cove where the swim is
Certainly wouldn't say the caribe is where the swim is, that is like saying miami is where the swim is in reference to people swimming from cuba.

I didn't say the caribe is where the swim is either... And yes, it's nicer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Caribe is awesome!!
Quote Reply
Re: Puerto Rico 70.3 Hotels [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
The Caribe is probably the easy button. We stayed at the Condado and it was fine too, but I think there will be more for your family to do around the Caribe. As mentioned, it doesn't make much difference for the race start because you're going to T1 to set up at some point in the morning and it is a long walk from there to the swim start which is basically across the street from the Condado.

Definitely the easy button. I did the race in 2012 and 2015 and stayed at the Caribe both times. Besides being the most central, it is also the location for packet pick-up, expo, pre-race briefing, awards and roll-down. So it doesn't make sense to stay anywhere else unless schlepping back and forth is your thing.
Quote Reply