Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Puerto Rico 70.3 Swim&Bike
Quote | Reply
For those that have run this race:

Were there any noticeable currents on the swim? Did your times indicate you swam faster/slower/normal pace?

How were the winds on the bike? Specifically, were there any concerning crosswinds?

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Puerto Rico 70.3 Swim&Bike [way2sloow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The swim is almost entirely protected in the lagoon area. There may be some mild push one way or the other depending on tidal level. The stretch leaving the lagoon, under the bridge, to the swim exit is a bit more exposed to wind. I am not a strong swimmer and came in around my standard non-wetsuit 70.3 swim.

It can be fairly windy along the coastline. I rode 808/Super9 Zipps and don't recall getting pushed around much. More headwind/tailwind type exposure. They changed the course that year so it didn't go as far south for the turnaround leg. This made for more back and forth along the coast. On race day it was tailwind out and headwind back. Tough way to finish the ride back into Old San Juan! Still a fast course. Save something for the run! It is hot. T2 in the stadium is scorching too.

I raced it in 2014 and they held it in April. So not sure how March conditions may differ.
Last edited by: SummitAK: Mar 4, 17 14:10
Quote Reply
Re: Puerto Rico 70.3 Swim&Bike [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks mate. I can't imagine it's going to be too different. Still hot. Still humid.

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Puerto Rico 70.3 Swim&Bike [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea what the "normal" water temps are for mid-March??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did it last year. No current to speak of, it is very well protected. Don't recall any winds on the bike. The only thing that sticks in my mind is how HOT the run is. It is the hottest I have ever been in a race
Quote Reply
Re: Puerto Rico 70.3 Swim&Bike [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadisonMan wrote:
Did it last year. No current to speak of, it is very well protected. Don't recall any winds on the bike. The only thing that sticks in my mind is how HOT the run is. It is the hottest I have ever been in a race

Can I highjack this thread to ask some other random questions about this race?

I assume almost everyone has flown in. Are bike pumps on race morning plentiful/available?

Did you think leaving extra shoes where you get out of the water to run to T1 is a good idea?

Any other pro tips for this race? (restaurants, race strategy, logistics, anything!)

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Puerto Rico 70.3 Swim&Bike [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No hijack at all. I had the same question about shoes at water's edge. Figured I would find out when I got there though.

Surfline has current water temps at 79 degrees. Also, weather only looks to be in the mid to low-80s. And pretty low humidity at 65ish%

Last edited by: way2sloow: Mar 5, 17 5:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are a tender foot like me extra shoes from water out to T1 are a good idea. The run out is over pavement. Maybe 400 metres. The walk from T1 to the start is longer also over pavement. Unless they have subsequently put carpet. I did race in 2014. Someone asked about water temp I think low 80s. Definitely a no wetsuit swim.. Can't recall about pump brought my own. Lots of restaurants towards the new part of town along the road that goes along the ocean.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, pumps are available..The transition is very long and highly encourage you to leave an old pair of shoes outside the swim. The road is not smooth and to me it is worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
way2sloow wrote:
Also, weather only looks to be in the mid to low-80s. And pretty low humidity at 65ish%

Yeah, that doesn't sound too bad compared to what I was thinking. I hope it holds!

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Puerto Rico 70.3 Swim&Bike [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadisonMan wrote:
Yes, pumps are available..The transition is very long and highly encourage you to leave an old pair of shoes outside the swim. The road is not smooth and to me it is worth it.

One more question . . . were you able to ride at all on Saturday beforehand?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did some repeats on a bike path by the swim start.....
Quote Reply
Re: Puerto Rico 70.3 Swim&Bike [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did this race in 2015. A lot of people left shoes by the swim exit but I wouldn't suggest it. The road surface is fine but the main thing is there were hundreds of shoes lying around there. How will you find yours? Will you accept that possible delay and frustration to jog the 400 M in shoes? It seemed like way more of a logistical headache to me.

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Re: Puerto Rico 70.3 Swim&Bike [DougEFresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I stuck them right under the metal fence at the swim exit. I usually stick them a bit out of the way but next to a landmark I can identify. I always use old bombed out shoes that I would have thrown out anyway. . If I cannot find them in about 30 seconds I just carry on. I really do have wimpy feet so if I have them its worth it to me. And I am middle of pack so no danger of giving up a place on podium

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: len: Mar 9, 17 14:48
Quote Reply
Re: Puerto Rico 70.3 Swim&Bike [DougEFresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also did it in 2014 and didn't drop shoes at the exit. A friend of mine did and lost all kinds of time searching for his shoes. The run on the pavement wasn't too bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would ride a few miles outside to make sure your bike works but not plan on getting in a bike workout. Roads crowded and the cars are very disrespectful to cyclists. The Hilton Caribe has a nice gym with stationary bikes to use.
Quote Reply
Re: Puerto Rico 70.3 Swim&Bike [wmcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. We went for a ride on the course a couple of days before and it was super scary. There's really no safe place to ride.
Quote Reply