Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pucon 70.3
Quote | Reply
So my race season has been complete shit. I signed up for Texas 70.3, Whistler 70.3, Augusta 70.3, New Orleans 70.3, and Cartagena 70.3. Did something to my meniscus about a month before TX 70.3, and couldn't run or bike. DNS. Started a new job (within my job) in January that requires about 15-18 months of training. So Whistler and Augusta were out due to work commitments. DNS-refund. Broke a couple of ribs in August while away at training. So would've DNS'd Augusta anyway for injury. Ribs = DNS for NOLA. Just found out that my wife has to go away for a work trip the same week as Cartagena. So now that's out. That's 0-5 if we're keeping track.

Enough with the pity party.

I'm looking at Pucon 70.3 in February to start 2018 off on the right foot. I did a ST search and there's not a lot of posts regarding Pucon. The most popular post was in regard to Lionel Sanders' race from earlier this year and everything related to the post had pretty much nothing to do with the Pucon race itself. So any info related to the race would be welcome.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Pucon 70.3 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN:

Pucon is a well organized race. Clear water, rolling bike, damn tough run. Two different sections on the run. Up and down hills on the Peninsula and then 180 degree turn to repeat. You exit on to the city streets for about two miles of flats in front of a few thousand screaming spectators. Way cool, then you do the hills again. That hurts. You return to the flats. And then a final energy sucking last loop on the hills and two more miles of flats being supported by cheers from the crowd. Time trial swim start. Three people every three seconds. Self seed. Goes fast. Flat lake conditions. Bike roads in good to great condition. Minimal drafting. No packs at least. Officials whistled a lot but never saw penalty boxes with riders in them. The town and surrounding area are beautiful. An active, smoking volcano lingers on the near horizon. It erupts every few years. Took three different planes and a 10-12 hour layover in Santiago to get close enough to rent a car or ride a bus on the last hour to Pucon. There is a host hotel, some Airbnb, and small hotels just outside of town to chose for lodging. We stayed in the latter. Inexpensive to stay there ($50-$150/night). Meals good to great food. No chains. Cheap too, dinner under $75 for two with huge steaks and wine or less than $15 for 2 people for great hamburgers from the American expats that relocated there from California. Lots of variety. Lots of outdoor activities for after race: hiking, kayaking, horseback riding, trip to the Pacific Ocean shore and more. Lonely Planet calls Pucon the Mecca for Outdoor Adventure sports. Expect over 1,500 athletes mostly from Chile, Argentina, and Brazil but expect to see competitors from all over the world. English is understood by many but not everyone. Raced in 2016 with misty rain for the start to full sun on the last half of the run. Safe race. Safe country. Easy driving. Doug
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pucon 70.3 is my favorite half iron distance race I've done so far. It is in January, FYI -- not February. I raced in 2016 and we had perfect weather -- cool and misty in the morning, sunny and clear (but not hot yet) later in the day. It's summer down there, but it seemed that it didn't get warm until later in the afternoon.

The swim is an m-shaped swim with an exit and short run on the beach. The beach is a black sand, almost pebble-like. I have tender feet, but it's not so bad when you're actually racing. The bike is a single out-and-back course (just changed in 2016, I believe -- used to be two loops). The road conditions are pretty good, but it is not a particularly fast course. The run is tough! It's a three loop course, with 4k of climbing/descending, and 3k flat through the city.....lots of crowd support.

Best thing was how pretty the volcano is (and climbing it the day after the race was an amazing experience) and lots of good food. I'm actually surprised that it hasn't sold out yet, as it was sold out by this time in 2015. I went through Endurance Sports Travel and stayed in a great little hostel where the backyard / communal area overlooked the volcano. If I did it again (which I'd like to), I'd go explore the Patagonia region after.
Quote Reply
Re: Pucon 70.3 [ligersandtions] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shit. I swear I saw something that it was February 18th. Hmmmm.... January not a good month.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, January 14th. I thought maybe you were thinking about the new one in Argentina (Bariloche), but that looks like March 11th. Not many IM-branded events in February. If you do Bariloche, let me know how it is! Pucon was great, and this is down just a little further south and a bit east (obviously....to be in Argentina instead of Chile!), so I'd bet it's beautiful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the race this year. Great location, wonderful people. Flew into Santiago and drove a rental car to Pucon, about 7-8 hours. For me , a slow swimmer, and strong biker, the bike course was very crowded. I came up to a pack of 20-30, riding peleton style. Race official came up and rode along for several minutes, gave out no cards, and pack did not break up. Road surface is chip seal, pretty rough. Several bridges with poor surfaces. Because of shade from trees lining road you can not see the pot holes. I hit one so hard it bent my bars and I almost ate it. Like other say run is brutal. Overall, positive experience.
Quote Reply