Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Providing Bike Serial Number as a Part of a Second-Hand Sale. Legit or Shady?
Quote | Reply
I'm selling a frameset on here and a few other sites. The frameset is only a few months old and I just haven't gotten around to registering it. A potential purchaser asked for the serial # to verify the bike. Does that sound like a legit or sketchy question? What would you (approrpiately) do with that number to verify the bike? Could you do anything inappropriate with that number that I should be worried about or consider not giving out such information?
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Sep 1, 15 9:07
Quote Reply
Re: Providing Bike Serial Number as a Part of a Second-Hand Sale?? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A serial # that isn't there can't be tracked. Not saying tracking is easy, but as a buyer I'd be sketched out by a frame which doesn't have a serial # associated with it. If the original owner did register the bike and it was stolen and they reported it stolen (including SN in the report) then there's a paper trail of sorts...as long as the SN is on the bike.

Sounds to me like the buyer is doing at least some minimal amount of due diligence to not end up with a hot frame.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Providing Bike Serial Number as a Part of a Second-Hand Sale?? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like the same to me. I would ask for it as well...

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Providing Bike Serial Number as a Part of a Second-Hand Sale. Legit or Shady? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sketchy at all. I did the same thing when looking at used motorcycles - saw a few that were incredible deals (a bit too 'incredible' to be on the up and up). I figured it was worth at least an e-mail to inquire about them and ask a few questions - one of which was for the VIN. I figured if they couldn't/wouldn't provide the VIN, then either: 1) the bike did not actually exist, 2) it was stolen goods.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Providing Bike Serial Number as a Part of a Second-Hand Sale. Legit or Shady? [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough. Thanks for the info. And by the way, of course the bike I'm selling has a serial number. If I implied it did not, then I did not mean to do so. I will provide the serial bumber to the potential seller.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Sep 1, 15 10:26
Quote Reply
Re: Providing Bike Serial Number as a Part of a Second-Hand Sale. Legit or Shady? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's a legit question. They may want to the number so that they can try to contact the manufacturer to verify the bike is legit and not a counterfeit. Also, for some manufacturers, you can actually learn certain information about the bike from the serial number.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a legitimate request. A friend of a friend had his Moots (engagement gift from his wife) stolen out of his garage. He asked every seller of similar bikes on eBay for the serial number and found it several years later halfway across the country. I believe he got it back and the eBay seller was left out to dry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Fair enough. Thanks for the info. And by the way, of course the bike I'm selling has a serial number. If I implied it did not, then I did not mean to do so. I will provide the serial bumber to the potential seller.

It is definitely a legit question and I wouldn't buy a second hand bike without asking for it and running through a few searches, including bikeindex.org.

There's no harm in providing the serial number to anyone if you're selling it. If you're not selling it then just make sure you have a photo of the serial number and copy of the receipt. It also doesn't hurt to put a laminated piece of paper or something similar in the handlebars with your name or something else on it. All of these things can help prove the bike is yours. The only risk I can see in someone else having the serial number is them trying to claim it's their bike when it's not. If you have these things it should be pretty easy to prove the bike is yours in that instance, or if your bike is ever stolen.
Last edited by: racehd: Sep 1, 15 12:41
Quote Reply
Re: Providing Bike Serial Number as a Part of a Second-Hand Sale. Legit or Shady? [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes sense. Thanks. I think I have the actual receipt. If nothing else, I have the credit card bill plus the shop remembers me as I recently spoke with the owner from whom I purchased.
Quote Reply