Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pros on Gatorskins [flyrunride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flyrunride wrote:
THE HUMANITY!!!!

hey maybe this year he'll train on something better for him. For pros, every second counts....

Utter insanity. You'd think he'd never heard of ST

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Pros on Gatorskins [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
Sorry for the potentially dumb question, but why would you multiply it by 2...i KNOW there are 2 wheels, but they are both attached to the same bike. So if you ran 1 gator in front and a 4000s in the back, the rear tire won't speed up or be faster.
I am aware that the smart choice in my hypothetical situation would be to put the 4000 on the front.

Actually if you switched from running 2 Gatorskins while pedaling at a certain wattage to one Gatorskin plus a 4000IIs on either the front or rear you would move faster on those same watts provided your position, the road grade and surface remained the same as well as wind. Showing the wattage required per wheel allows one to easily look at just the case you're ringing up since the values are additive.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Pros on Gatorskins [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:

doesn't that go completely against information that flow published and tom A has mentioned on his site? i was under the impression that higher tire pressure will actually increase rolling resistance and the sweet spot was in the 90-100psi range (weight dependent).

Sortof. As tire pressure goes up, the resistance goes down. However that is only as measured on a roller. A roller that is perfectly smooth.

That changes when you are on an actual road that is not made of a smooth metal surface, but is instead bumpy, pitted etc. You lose time bouncing around on a tire that is too "hard" for your weight. Your best bet is to look at the power required for the tire at the tire pressure that is ideal for you. If you are too light to ride at 120, then the fact that the rolling resistance is lower at 120 vs 110 doesn't apply in your situation.
Quote Reply
Re: Pros on Gatorskins [7ofClubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly what I was thinking!!

NCCP certified Comp coach
Quote Reply
Re: Pros on Gatorskins [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
soo.. another way of getting a better workout is slapping crappier tires on your bike so you can push more watts. then on race day you slap latex, 4000s, the carbon wheelset and go faster pushing the same watts?

is that what folks do?

Those two phrases above are completely incongruous if you are paying attention to the metrics that matter in training--power, time, and (at least for me) heart rate. If you're focusing on mileage and/or speed, then sure, but you're also focusing on the wrong things.

Edit: I realize now like five people already said this. Sorry.
Last edited by: kileyay: Apr 25, 16 10:31
Quote Reply
Re: Pros on Gatorskins [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe he's worried about course sabotage w/ thumbtacks. It's happened before.
Quote Reply
Re: Pros on Gatorskins [alfonso132] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alfonso132 wrote:

Finally....someone hit it. If someone [Andy] sabotaged the course with thumbtacks....who looks like the genious (and winner) for riding the gators? Something to look for in 2016.
Quote Reply
Re: Pros on Gatorskins [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dprocket wrote:
alfonso132 wrote:

Finally....someone hit it. If someone [Andy] sabotaged the course with thumbtacks....who looks like the genious (and winner) for riding the gators? Something to look for in 2016.

Even if he got a flat from a tack and changed the tube himself, he would still be faster on gp4000sii

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Pros on Gatorskins [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I switched to GP 4 season it instantly felt like I lost 50 watts. I can't imagine racing at that level on these.
Quote Reply

Prev Next