Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Proper weight for power meter settings
Quote | Reply

I have a computrainer that I can see power with and also use Garmin Vector pedals. The computrainer is showing about 20 watts higher in power. For the computrainer set up it asks for both body weight and bike weight for a total weight. Using the Garmin 510 it just asks for body weight. Should I be entering my bike/body weight combo like the computrainer into the 510?

Even if I do add the bike weight for the Garmin vector setup I don't see that correcting a 20 watt difference. Anyone note any kind of power difference using the Vector pedals?

Quote Reply
Re: Proper weight for power meter settings [rp87ebw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't speak for the computrainer... but the 510 or Vector doesn't need to know your body weight in order to give power. I highly suspect the computrainer doesn't need it either. My guess is that for the 510/Vector is wants to know weight for calories expenditure estimation and watts/kg calcs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The weight input does not affect the CT's power readings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The weight input on the CT will only change the speed you go on that trainer. It doesn't affect the power measurement.

I've never been on a CT that didn't read 20 watts higher than my powertaps or P2maxs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If anything, the vector should read higher since it is reading power closer to the legs before some is lost to drivetrain inefficiencies.
If it is lower, try re-torqueing the pedals. From this little test from: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...n-vector-review.html , perhaps your pedals are 'snug' and not 25 ft*lbs?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The body weight setting on Garmin units is only used for calorie calculations. And even then, only when you don't have a heart rate strap or power meter. So basically "when all else fails, figure out how many calories it took for a 175 pound dude to go 50 miles".

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply