Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Problem with Cervelo P3C, 10s Di2 FD, and compact crankset
Quote | Reply
I just started putting my TT bike together and the Di2 FD won't go low enough for my compact cranks. Is there any way to get this to work? At this point the only way I see getting the bike built with is to get rid of Di2 and get a cabled FD that will get me low enough.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff

Quote Reply
Re: Problem with Cervelo P3C, 10s Di2 FD, and compact crankset [pritchet74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it bottoming out on the top of the braze on hanger or is the bolt hitting the bottom of the hanger? I don't think that a mechanical Shimano FD will even get you there. Older SRAM FDs (non-Yaw) have two mounting holes which will allow it to go lower.
Quote Reply
Re: Problem with Cervelo P3C, 10s Di2 FD, and compact crankset [pritchet74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you have the compact cranks (50T) on before going Electronic? I think SRAM Front Derailleurs play nicer with that mount.

Last edited by: Jamaican: Oct 20, 14 18:12
Quote Reply
Re: Problem with Cervelo P3C, 10s Di2 FD, and compact crankset [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, P2C also has crazy high FD "braze on" mount.
I'm running a 54 tooth large ring and it's at the bottom of the slot.

That's with 10 speed 7800 series Dura Ace.

I need to find out if it can be drilled out and pop riveted back on in location that makes a whit of sense.
Last edited by: android: Oct 20, 14 18:17
Quote Reply
Re: Problem with Cervelo P3C, 10s Di2 FD, and compact crankset [android] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
android wrote:
Yes, P2C also has crazy high FD "braze on" mount.
I'm running a 54 tooth large ring and it's at the bottom of the slot.

That's with 10 speed 7800 series Dura Ace.

I need to find out if it can be drilled out and pop riveted back on in location that makes a whit of sense.

I see the 10 speed P2 has a compact 50/34 I believe, so how are they making it work?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Problem with Cervelo P3C, 10s Di2 FD, and compact crankset [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dug through some old threads.
Looks like the slipped in a FD hanger change half way through 2008 to lower it on P2C.

Have no idea why a P3 would be so high though.
Quote Reply
Re: Problem with Cervelo P3C, 10s Di2 FD, and compact crankset [android] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Full-size Q-rings.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get out your Dremel. Refer to this thread for the details. Worked like a charm in my 2006 R3.

http://forums.cervelo.com/...190.aspx?PageIndex=1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi pritchet,

That frame's not compatible with compact cranks, sorry. Consider changing the chainring to 53 or more.

As another poster mentioned, newer models have the hanger bonded lower, to work better with compact.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Last edited by: damon_rinard: Oct 20, 14 18:44
Quote Reply
Re: Problem with Cervelo P3C, 10s Di2 FD, and compact crankset [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bolt is hitting the bottom of the hanger. I don't see how a Dremel will fix that unfortunately.

I will look into a SRAM or possibly an old 10s Campagnolo compact FD. Hopefully one of those will get me low enough. I need to get the compact to work as I don't want to have to buy a SRM specifically for this build.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why don't you use a front mech riser block turned the other way?
http://www.trainsharpcyclecoaching.co.uk/...Block-SKU911141.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks to me like there is enough "meat" to lengthen the slot in the FD hanger to at least get you low enough for it to work. Di2 is pretty good at accommodating non optimal FD positioning.
Quote Reply
Re: Problem with Cervelo P3C, 10s Di2 FD, and compact crankset [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Hi pritchet,

That frame's not compatible with compact cranks, sorry. Consider changing the chainring to 53 or more.

As another poster mentioned, newer models have the hanger bonded lower, to work better with compact.

Cheers,

So, what date did the frames change on the P2 and P3 so that they work with compact cranks?

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Problem with Cervelo P3C, 10s Di2 FD, and compact crankset [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi H2O,

It was a running change, somewhere around 2008 or so, as mentioned above. If you're buying a used one, check to be sure. If it has a 50, it fits compact. If it has a 53, look to see if there's about 6 mm of downward adjustment in the slot. (Each tooth needs about 2 mm adjustment.)

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: Problem with Cervelo P3C, 10s Di2 FD, and compact crankset [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

Have the 2015's hit the stores yet?

Quote Reply
Re: Problem with Cervelo P3C, 10s Di2 FD, and compact crankset [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
Why don't you use a front mech riser block turned the other way?
http://www.trainsharpcyclecoaching.co.uk/...Block-SKU911141.html

That might be just what I need!

Anyone know if these are available in the USA?
Last edited by: pritchet74: Oct 21, 14 7:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me know if you want it shipped to the UK as my work has an office this. They will then ship it to me and I can give it to your sister or I can send it to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that this riser block, even if inverted will push the derailluer to the rear of the bike. As it moves rearward it gets farther from the chainrings.

I used a spacer to move a derailluer rearward just to get clearance for a 53t rotor ring once when my hanger was too low.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Problem with Cervelo P3C, 10s Di2 FD, and compact crankset [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking that as well but I love to tinker and just buying rings takes that passion away.
Quote Reply