Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Problem fitting front brake over carbon wheels
Quote | Reply
Hi guys, Ive searched around and have not been able to find any information about the issue that I am going through.

Right now I am installing some new parts, including a new front wheel. It seems like the brake cannot go any wider, and is pretty much clamped on the rim.. Is there a solution to this that anyone knows of?

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Problem fitting front brake over carbon wheels [NegativeNick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully someone has a better idea, but you can get low profile brake pads that are basically pre-worn down. (Probably don't want to grind those or else you'll embed abrasives into the pad.)
Quote Reply
Re: Problem fitting front brake over carbon wheels [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh ya. They are brand new pads and I just put them on. Hoping I dont have to replace those.
Quote Reply
Re: Problem fitting front brake over carbon wheels [NegativeNick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What brand and model are the tires?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im thinking maybe I can remove the brake pad spacers tomorrow, and might have enough wiggle room... but that seems like a poor solution.
Quote Reply
Re: Problem fitting front brake over carbon wheels [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
What brand and model are the tires?

The tires are Specialized Turbo Cotton Clinchers. 700x24.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, you can definitely put the spacer on the outside, but is that the angled one that sets toe-in? Perhaps you can find a lower profile alternative. You really only need 1-2 mm on each side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those Tektro brakes are limited in the width of the rim they can accomadate. The cheap fix is to file 1000 miles worth of wear off the pads. You don't want to introduce any metal fragments or abrasives into the pads, so I keep a file around that has never been used on anything else but brake pads. The other fix is to use a TriRig brake on the front. They work well on the Transition and accomadate wide tires. They are also stupid easy to adjust.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First , I would make sure your wheel is centred in the fork. In the first picture it looks like it's leaning against the left brake pad, putting the caliper out off alignment. Once everything is centred, I would file the brake pads if you still need room for the toe in. JC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can either:

1) Get a low profile brake pads (i.e. pre shaved or shorter)
2) Shave your brake pads (I'd rather try to cut them with a razor than file them)
3) Remove the spacer behind the cartridge and readjust toe-in accordingly (I did this with my rear TRP under BB brake and it works fine, even recommended by the bike manufacturer rep for wide wheels) - you can do 1 and it would work or both if you want symmetry (really doesn't affect functinality much though).
4) Get another brake

3 is probably the easiest to perform and doesn't cost you anything (same with 2 but requires a bit more effort).
Last edited by: loxx0050: Mar 7, 17 7:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you fit the back one yet? Because that is where you are really going to start cursing. Specialized got rid of this brake design on the Shiv because the Transitions earned a reputation for for the brakes being a PITA to work on especially when swapping between narrower training wheels and wider racing wheels.

The most common solution is to sand down the pads as people have already mentioned. Personally I would also swap the drive side brake pad fastener in the rear from an Allen key bolt to a simple bolt design which will make it far easier to adjust the brake in the future. (I don't have a picture of this right now but can get one if you are interested)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does one of the links between the cable clamp and the arms come off?

It looks like there is a tab on the right side of the brake (looking at the front) to unhook the linkage.

Exactly which brakes are those? I can look it up.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Problem fitting front brake over carbon wheels [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, on the cable holder above the brake that is mounted near your stem. Is there a Barrel adjuster there or a way to life the housing off of the mount?
Quote Reply
Re: Problem fitting front brake over carbon wheels [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If this is your brake you can see the tab to lift the linkage off on the right side

https://www.tektro.com/products.php?p=53

If it's the TRP T820/920 then according to this document you need an inline barrel adjuster
https://www.trpbrakes.com/...etup%20-%20final.pdf

This document from TRP

http://trpbrakes.com/pubs/T920.pdf

See section C.2 it says you can disconnect the arm I mentioned earlier
Last edited by: jaretj: Mar 7, 17 9:12
Quote Reply
Re: Problem fitting front brake over carbon wheels [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Those Tektro brakes are limited in the width of the rim they can accomadate. The cheap fix is to file 1000 miles worth of wear off the pads. You don't want to introduce any metal fragments or abrasives into the pads, so I keep a file around that has never been used on anything else but brake pads. The other fix is to use a TriRig brake on the front. They work well on the Transition and accomadate wide tires. They are also stupid easy to adjust.
Yeah TR Omega is sweet, aero and very adjustable. For a while I was training on my old TTR2 wheels and racing on my FLO's, the TriRig Omega was so easy to adjust for the swaps.

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had similar issues. Wound up replacing front brake. Back brake never gave me any issues (Felt B14).
Quote Reply