Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Problem Fitting a GXP Quarq Dfour91 Power Meter to a Scott Plasma 5
Quote | Reply
Hi,

After allot of correspondence with Quarq, Bike24 and a number of others I was told to buy a GXP crank to fit my PF86 Bottom Bracket on my Scott Plasma 5 Premium

The problem is its simply not wide enough
Here is 2 images, one of the GXP Quarq Set and one with the original Shimano Kit

Quarq are telling me it should fit but the mechanic emailed me these pictures to say its simply too short

I am away at present so trying to resolve remotely as I need to return the PM within the next few days based not he returns policy (if I cannot resolve this problem)

How can you help me?

1, Does anyone own a Scott Plasma 5 and perhaps have this exact power metre or another Quarq Power metre?
2, Have another power metre from another producer that fits and you would recommend
3, Knows anything that could help me.

Thanks in Advance

Neal
Quote Reply
Re: Problem Fitting a GXP Quarq Dfour91 Power Meter to a Scott Plasma 5 [nbbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your pictures don't show up, but a few things that could be a problem.

According to the Scott website, the BB is a shimano PF92, not PF86. This matters

1. Need to have a press fit 92mm GXP BB installed, there is a difference between the SRAM PF86 and PF92 BB. The Shimano PF92 will not work at all because the non-drive side of GXP is actually 22mm.
2. SRAM makes a wide axle and a regular axle length GXP crank for their power meters. SRAM does a piss poor job of stating this on their website and parts list.
3. The chain stays and or brake cover are too wide on the Plasma to allow for room for the power meter spider.
Quote Reply
Re: Problem Fitting a GXP Quarq Dfour91 Power Meter to a Scott Plasma 5 [shoff14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plazma is a BB86.
It takes a SM-BB92-41B bottom bracket when used with Shimano cranks which fits BB86 BB shell.
GXP road is the same width.
The only problem you may encounter is with spider clearence.

Unless whoever installed the GXP BB put a frame washer or axle washer in there that doesn't belong.
Quote Reply
Re: Problem Fitting a GXP Quarq Dfour91 Power Meter to a Scott Plasma 5 [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
Plazma is a BB86.
It takes a SM-BB92-41B bottom bracket when used with Shimano cranks which fits BB86 BB shell.
GXP road is the same width.
The only problem you may encounter is with spider clearence.

Unless whoever installed the GXP BB put a frame washer or axle washer in there that doesn't belong.

Thank you for the replies

Here is the images via a dropbox link as I cannot seem to upload them
https://www.dropbox.com/...BB%20Issues.JPG?dl=0

For sure the Bottom Bracket is BB86 and is 86.5mm wide

As I understand from the mechanic there needs to be 1 spacer in the there to allow for the crank arm not to hit the wide flared rear stays, however even without any its down to 1mm or so he tells me it would hit under flexing also.

I found this bike build website https://bikeboard.cc/...ott-plasma-5-ber5743 and if you scroll down you can see that they are fitting a Rotor (power2max) BB30 crank with Rotor 4130 Bearings on the Scott plasma 5 however when I asked about this to one reseller they told me that the BB30 is not as wide as the GXP and I need the GXP because the BB30 will not be wide enough which leaves me scratching my head.
Quote Reply
Re: Problem Fitting a GXP Quarq Dfour91 Power Meter to a Scott Plasma 5 [nbbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you change the BB to GXP?
That looks like the same one for both cranks.
Quote Reply
Re: Problem Fitting a GXP Quarq Dfour91 Power Meter to a Scott Plasma 5 [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it has a Chris King number 7 conversion kit but they said that this is not the problem.

So standard 24mm Chris King PF86 BB plus No. 7 conversion kit for adapting from 24 to 24/22 for the quarq.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nbbiker wrote:

I found this bike build website https://bikeboard.cc/...ott-plasma-5-ber5743 and if you scroll down you can see that they are fitting a Rotor (power2max) BB30 crank with Rotor 4130 Bearings on the Scott plasma 5 however when I asked about this to one reseller they told me that the BB30 is not as wide as the GXP and I need the GXP because the BB30 will not be wide enough which leaves me scratching my head.

Rotor 3D30/3D+ is not the same as standard BB30's in that it is as wide as a Shimano 24mm/Hollowtech and GXP such that it can fit on threaded framed bottom bracket with external cups. Rotor likes to call it a universal bottom bracket because it can fit almost all of the frames out there except a select few BB standards (don't recall which ones exactly).

Alternatively since you were successfully running a Shimano crank you could go with a Rotor 3D or 3D24 crank instead which is the same as a Shimano (can even fit in the same Shimano BB's even). There is a Power2Max version compatible with that. Only drawback to going 3D24 over 3D30/3D+ is they don't go shorter than 165mm crank arm lengths (which don't affect most people). However It is a traditional 5 bolt spider unlike the 110BCD 4 bolt that Shimano runs so you'd need new chainrings (either 130 or 110 5 bolt BCD depending on which on you want).
Last edited by: loxx0050: Oct 19, 17 12:56
Quote Reply
Re: Problem Fitting a GXP Quarq Dfour91 Power Meter to a Scott Plasma 5 [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is actually very useful information and makes allot of sense.

Tomorrow I get back from my trip finally so I will see this GXP problem but sounds like the rotor Crank arm wig P2Max will be perfect.

Thanks for all the replies and help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are SRAMs frame clearance dimensions.

https://www.sram.com/...t_spec_2017_road.pdf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Quarq Dzero carbon cranks can be purchased with a wide axle 30mm spindle. I have one installed on my Ordu which has a BB386 bottom bracket.

As well as my Quarq Dzero has worked, I have two P2M power meters mated to Rotor 3D cranks that have performed flawlessly through the years.
Quote Reply