Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Probelms with Di2?
Quote | Reply

I'm at a loss to understand what is going on with my wife's Di2 and am hoping someone can provide suggestions...

She had a new build around 6 weeks ago, new Ultegra Di2 (on a P3)

Essentially picked the bike up in NZ, put it in a box and flew to the UK. Started riding the bike upon arrival and 2nd ride the gears stopped working mid-ride. We assumed at the time the battery had not been charged fully, no drama, put it on charge (Mains plug > USB > Juntion Box).

Went out on it next day, died again mid ride. Took it into shop for them to have a look at, they claimed to have put the diagnostic over it and nothing wrong, charged and alls well.

Rode a 70.3 on it, hit the front at 5km leading the girls race, gears died at 8km. She rides 85km in the biggest gear, finishes 3rd on bloody tired legs.

Took into good friend of mine who services Shimano regularly. He puts the diagnostic over it, can't find anything wrong, however, says the battery is a little 'loose' in the frame (its tucked in the seat tube above the BB, packed with bubble wrap etc) says the bubble wrap was a little 'flat' and could have been 'knocking around' a little. Re-packs, inserts in seat post.

All's well for 1 week, does an Olympic on it, bike rides like a dream.

That was 1 week ago.

Today, another half ironman, gears die at 35km when leading again.

I'm at a loss. Thinking I buy another battery tomorrow and try and eliminate that as the problem? Do the batteries have issues, have we just got a lemon, or is it something we're doing that is causing the issue.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated....
Quote Reply
Re: Probelms with Di2? [Salmon Steve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you able to put it on a stand and test the gears while trying to move the battery around, that should be able to show if there is a dodgy loose connection? Also try the same while tugging on each wire connection? Maybe one of those is loose?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would replace the battery and go over every single connection. Unplug it then plug it back it and make sure you hear that click sound.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Probelms with Di2? [Bad Ash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

My mate at the bike shop stripped it all last week, and showed me the 'positive click' on each and every connection. They all 'clicked' into place, which he said meant there was no loose connection? Can there still be a loose connection even if you get that positive click?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll bet money on it being a poorly connected e-tube. There are 10 or 12 (if you have base bar shifting) connections on that bike and I would undo and redo every one of them. Shimano makes a little plastic tool for unplugging and plugging them back in that is really handy. You should feel and hear a very positive click as they connect.

How was the diagnostics done?
Quote Reply
Re: Probelms with Di2? [willembad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Yeah my mate showed me this, a little tool to unclip and put them back in. yes positive click on them all, he took them all out. Had to take the BB out to get at it all. So I don't think that is the issue. And yes diagnostic done on it, said no issues. He sells Di2 / services it regularly etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it possible that one wire is quite tight and gets pulled out (slightly) when in use, e.g. maybe when turning the handle bars?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you say "gears die", that means both front and rear shifting doesn't work, or is it one or the other?
Quote Reply
Re: Probelms with Di2? [willembad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Yes both front and rear mech die. In Stafford 70.3 she was stuck in the big ring & 12. Today it was the big ring and 13.

I don't think it's the tight wire scenario either, they all seem to have sufficient spare and move freely when you manipulate at the handlebars.

I'm absolutely lost on this one.

It would be easy to say just replace, as it's cost us a few thousand I believe in prize money. But I'm worried it's something we're doing....I just can't think what?! After friend went through it all, ran the Shimano software over it and said everything is fine and charged, it wasn't touched after that until race day other than 2 x easy rides and a 10mile TT, but didn't charge or mess with wires, didn't event take the front wheel out as it fitted in the hire car nicely with front wheel in, thats how careful I've tried to be with it.

Seems bizarre?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the new gen e-tube systems the only failures I've heard of are individual components. With the entire system shutting down it would seem this is either a faulty battery, the main junction or one of the wires intermittently shorting.

Did your friend pull all the wires from the frame? Can your friend help with swapping in another battery? Maybe Junction A too.

Any wet riding involved in these races? This was a weakness in the first gen wiring when not tightly sealed.
Quote Reply
Re: Probelms with Di2? [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
In the new gen e-tube systems the only failures I've heard of are individual components. With the entire system shutting down it would seem this is either a faulty battery, the main junction or one of the wires intermittently shorting.

Did your friend pull all the wires from the frame? Can your friend help with swapping in another battery? Maybe Junction A too.

Any wet riding involved in these races? This was a weakness in the first gen wiring when not tightly sealed.

Yes I think that is the first thing to do - replace the battery tomorrow and use it this week.

Raced London Olympic on it, absolutely POURED down and that is the one race where the bike has worked fine, so I don't think the water is an issue either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mentioned taking out the crank and BB to get to the Di2 connections and this is why I mentioned the water. If her installation has any of the JC41 junction boxes located in this area (low point) I would also suggest having them pushed up into the ST or DT as water accumulates around the BB and spindle sleeve on a lot of carbon bikes. It could always get wet and fail later. Something you can check anyway. Good luck. I'm sure you'll get it sorted out. I've had great luck with installations of both generations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When the battery gets low, front shifting stops first, so that rear shifting is preserved. What you are experiencing doesn't match with a weak or discharged battery. As others have said, it would have to be a connection. And since it affects both front and rear, its one of the connections between the front jb, and the rear jb, or between the battery and the rear jb. Or a damaged wire in those locations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear a lot of people having this kind of issue recently. It makes me appreciate my mechanical/reliable shifters each time. Mechanial system fails too, but most of the time you can still shift in the front or in the back if you can't fix it on the road.

good luck with that, sorry for going offtopic
Last edited by: zambony: Jun 28, 15 15:08
Quote Reply
Re: Probelms with Di2? [goodboyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, sounds like new wire harnesses are in order.
And make sure none of the cables is taught or pinched.
Reminds me of the good old days when one of the dyno-lights would stop working and you had to troubleshoot (bulb ok?, wire ok?) .... nothing has changed...same issues. Looking forward to wireless.

goodboyr wrote:
When the battery gets low, front shifting stops first, so that rear shifting is preserved. What you are experiencing doesn't match with a weak or discharged battery. As others have said, it would have to be a connection. And since it affects both front and rear, its one of the connections between the front jb, and the rear jb, or between the battery and the rear jb. Or a damaged wire in those locations.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by goodboyr [ In reply to ]
Re: Probelms with Di2? [zambony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zambony wrote:
I hear a lot of people having this kind of issue recently. It makes me appreciate my mechanical/reliable shifters each and every time.

Oh brother...............
Quote Reply
Re: Probelms with Di2? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We always blame the system.......but in reality, 99.99% of these issues are due to bad installs. So, what makes you think that these "wonderful" LBS's are anymore capable of not screwing up a wireless system?
Quote Reply
Re: Probelms with Di2? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Yep, sounds like new wire harnesses are in order.
And make sure none of the cables is taught or pinched.
Reminds me of the good old days when one of the dyno-lights would stop working and you had to troubleshoot (bulb ok?, wire ok?) .... nothing has changed...same issues. Looking forward to wireless.

goodboyr wrote:

New wires & new battery in the AM it is. Thanks for the input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replying to this to subscribe. Been dealing with the issue myself.
Quote Reply
Re: Probelms with Di2? [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is all the firmware up to date? The latest update fixes a bug with the battery and derailleurs. Not saying this is the issue, but worth checking out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the battery still holding a charge when the gears stop working or is the battery dead?
If there is still a charge then it's probably the battery harness that is bad not the battery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you get this Di2 issue sorted out on your wife's bike? I'm curious about the cure.

Thanks
Quote Reply