Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pro triathlete 140.6 relay dream team
Quote | Reply
I was watching the Universal Sports replay of the Challenge Atlantic City & one of the relay teams featured Mirinda Carfrae doing the bike portion of a relay team for charity. It got me to thinking what kind of time a pro triathlete relay team could throw down at the iron distance & who might be the best athletes at each discipline. What do you think; who would you put in each discipline & what kind of time could they hit at, let's say Kona?

---

Iron Distance Race Selector
Quote Reply
Re: Pro triathlete 140.6 relay dream team [JBrashear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Potts, Starky, Brownlee?

7:15 in Kona.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They did this at Silverman probably 5 years ago or so. The marathon runner (he was world class, but couldn't tell you how elite of elite) struggled on the run. I think he said something like running by yourself trying to bang out a really fast time is a lot harder than in a regular marathon where you have guys to pace/race off of.

I think Tyler Hamilton was the biker and forget who the swimmer was. I don't think they set any blazing times, as I think there was a prize purse if they set some record.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back in 2006 on the old Silverman course there was a $100,000 for any team that could break 8...............no real pro tri team tried, but a couple great teams gave it a shot. ..................but that was not your question.......
Quote Reply
Re: Pro triathlete 140.6 relay dream team [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
They did this at Silverman probably 5 years ago or so. The marathon runner (he was world class, but couldn't tell you how elite of elite) struggled on the run. I think he said something like running by yourself trying to bang out a really fast time is a lot harder than in a regular marathon where you have guys to pace/race off of.

I think Tyler Hamilton was the biker and forget who the swimmer was. I don't think they set any blazing times, as I think there was a prize purse if they set some record.

That runner also had to serve a penalty for his biker at some point during (or just before) his run, too, if memory serves. And because he was trying to make up time from the penalty, he went out too fast & blew up.

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Last edited by: The_Mickstar: Aug 15, 14 12:25
Quote Reply
Re: Pro triathlete 140.6 relay dream team [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
Potts, Starky, Brownlee?

7:15 in Kona.

Brownlees struggled with the 10k distance a few times this season.

I'd go with something like this for a 2014 Kona relay:

S
1. Potts 2. Clayton Fettell 3. Jacobs

B
1. Starky 2. Kienle 3. Marino

R
1. Aernouts 2. Llanos 3. Raña

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Last edited by: Timtek: Aug 15, 14 12:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JBrashear wrote:
It got me to thinking what kind of time a pro triathlete relay team could throw down at the iron distance & who might be the best athletes at each discipline.

Why would you choose triathletes?

Get Sun Yang to do the swim in about 38min.
Then Alexander Vinokourov could bike in about 4:10
And get Geoffrey Mutai to run the marathon in 2:04

Total time of about 7 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro triathlete 140.6 relay dream team [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:

S

ST doesn't pay any attention to ITU. You're missing Richard Varga to lead the swim. Should definitely be considered along with Potts. Schoemann and Raphael would also be good bets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If we are sticking to Pro Triathletes, I'd go:

Clayton Fettell for the swim

Luke Mckenzie for the bike, Kona is a different game, that bike course takes some knowledge of when to go, and he's got it pretty dialed. Without a swim before and run after, I think he could take Starky.

Ivan Rana on the run.

Jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Re: Pro triathlete 140.6 relay dream team [dwesley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a 7:35 relay last year at Ironman Copenhagen with a fairly slow swim and a Rasmus Henning that didn't train that much. With the best in the world at single sport you could probably go under 7 hours.

http://live.ultimate.dk/.../front/?eventid=1645
(You have to pick relay and then click top 10 for it to show the correct top 10)
Quote Reply
Re: Pro triathlete 140.6 relay dream team [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not remember the penalty. Really do not know how there could be one. T Hamilton was in front so no possible of drafiting. T.H. was practically carried off the bike and the runner was on pace for the hundred grand till about mile 18ish and blew up. That was a brutal course, sure wish that was still around
Quote Reply
Re: Pro triathlete 140.6 relay dream team [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It wouldn't be that crazy to have Carfrae run. IIRC her run split was third fastest overall last October at Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro triathlete 140.6 relay dream team [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No love for Lionel Sanders...?
Quote Reply
Re: Pro triathlete 140.6 relay dream team [Nulli_Secundus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nulli_Secundus wrote:

He was the first name that popped into my mind.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro triathlete 140.6 relay dream team [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Tyler Hamilton was the biker and forget who the swimmer was. I don't think they set any blazing times, as I think there was a prize purse if they set some record.//

Well the swimmer bikers were blazing if you take the course into consideration.No blazing would be like saying why can't those pro bike racers average more than 15mph? Up some 12% climb.

All 3 lead swimmers in that relay were world class OW pro guys. The conditions were horrific, 30MPH crosswinds in the lake, and they still swam 44+ coming out all together pretty much on a legit course. The bike course could be the hardest ironman course in the world. 100+ degrees, hilly and windy. So Tylers 4;30 high was pretty solid, not too many were going to go faster that day. Their runner was a 2;11 Kenyan who was young and foolish. On that run course best day you are looking at a 2;20 or so, and that would be a pack of guys running together. HE went out at the 1/2 in 1;09. Writhing was on the wall..
Quote Reply
Re: Pro triathlete 140.6 relay dream team [Aqua Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aqua Man wrote:
JBrashear wrote:
It got me to thinking what kind of time a pro triathlete relay team could throw down at the iron distance & who might be the best athletes at each discipline.

^^This. Since we are going for purely the fastest times why the heck would we ever use a triathlete?

Fastest at each discipline. kind've a no brainer...
Quote Reply
Re: Pro triathlete 140.6 relay dream team [ilanias] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The world record is 7:04:xx at Roth. The cyclist who is a b-list pro went 3:59 on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You also have to consider that the marathon in an iron distance race starts much later in the day than most stand alone marathons...........

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Potts, Kienle, Frodeno

Starky would be a good sub for Kienle. I'd actually like to see those guys go head to head in a 100mile tt.

Edit: I was under the impression that we were just picking from pro triathletes.
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Aug 15, 14 17:03
Quote Reply
Re: Pro triathlete 140.6 relay dream team [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
btmoney wrote:
Nulli_Secundus wrote:

He was the first name that popped into my mind.

x3 - This dudes the real deal.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pro triathlete 140.6 relay dream team [dwesley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dwesley wrote:
Timtek wrote:

S

ST doesn't pay any attention to ITU. You're missing Richard Varga to lead the swim. Should definitely be considered along with Potts. Schoemann and Raphael would also be good bets.

I pay attention though. I have had the season pass for 3 years now and watch every race. The reason I didn't pick Shoemann (ITU), Raphael (ITU), Frondeno (IM), or Lionel Sanders (70.3) is because they are unproven at the iron distance. Just because they swim a fast 1500 or run a fast 13.1 does not mean that will translate to the fastest Kona splits. Potts has proven many times that if he's in the race, he'll be first out of the water if he wants to be. Aernouts, Llanos and Raña are all 2:40something iron distance runners and in my estimation have the fastest run splits recently.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the many who are responding with out of sport athletes, here it is again from the OP;

"what kind of time a pro triathlete relay team could throw down at the iron distance & who might be the best athletes at each discipline"

So getting back to the question at hand, Potts is a great choice even if he is a little slower than some ITU guys. If they are all in the same race, he is not going to get dropped, and he knows the course like no one else. Having to swim a 48 every year by yourself gives you some inside info..So at the worst you come out even with other teams.

On the bike i would go for Keinle over Starky just because he seems a little better in the heat. Bot have about the same speed, on a nice cool day i might give the nod to starky, but don't remember one of those days in the last 35 years. More likely to be hotter than normal, and then Keinle has the edge.

And for all of you dissing Allistar because he falters at the end of 10ks sometimes, ya, because he is running sub 29 pace often going out!!! When did you 10k time stop relating to a marathon run? I can name many 10k world record holders that stepped up and did very well in their first marathons, and had long marathon careers afterwards. I have not indication that Allistar could not run a really fast marathon if motivated. He races just under 2 hours pretty well, in fact better than anyone in the world really. So it is not going to be an endurance thing, just needs to do what marathoners do, run a little more. Gomez would also be a good 2nd choice, he just might be a bit better in the heat, but since they will only be in it for a little over 2 hours, it may not be the factor that it would be on the bike at about twice the time under the lights..

That's my pro triathlete team in hawaii, thinking on a neutral day they go 47+/ 4;14/ 2;20, so 7;21...
Quote Reply
Re: Pro triathlete 140.6 relay dream team [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim- 1. Potts 2. Varga 3. Fettell

Bike- 1. Kienle 2. Starky 3. Mckenzie

Run- 1. Jacobs 2. Rana 3. Sanders (I know he's yet to race an IM but..I think he'll be JUST fine)

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Re: Pro triathlete 140.6 relay dream team [Aqua Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aqua Man wrote:
JBrashear wrote:

Exactly my thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro triathlete 140.6 relay dream team [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After seeing some of Sanders' results from 70.3s, I would feel really comfortable putting him in a standalone marathon at the end of a relay as long as he had 1-2 months notice (gotta get in some longer long runs). That guy has looked fantastic this year.
Quote Reply

Prev Next