Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pro and their cars on the front page
Quote | Reply
From reading this it would appear as though professional triathletes are absolutely loaded. It would be interesting to see how many of those cars they got from winning a race

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: Pro and their cars on the front page [ck21trhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well or you can tell they make poor financial decisions ;)

I see an expensive car not as a "Wow they are loaded" but a a "Wow, you could have retired from your dayjob 1 year earlier if you bought a civic instead of that".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gwen for the win.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro and their cars on the front page [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Well good thing you can never tell how wealthy someone is by the car they drive.

I used to live in an apartment above a guy who drove a brand new S550. All I could ever think is that the value of that car could be a down payment on a house.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have several cars hat you have collected with your dad I am going to go ahead and guess your dad was the one who paid for them. Yes the world champs have sweet rides: they are the best j the world at something millions of people do. Triathlon is very top heavy: my guess is the top 10 money earners make more than he next 990 combined.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ck21trhc wrote:
From reading this it would appear as though professional triathletes are absolutely loaded. It would be interesting to see how many of those cars they got from winning a race

Some triathletes can be professional because they come from a pretty solid financial situation to begin with.

I think guys like Jordan Rapp and Brent McMahon are not living large.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only ones that really stood out are the Lambo and the Porsche. The Lambo picture looked like a publicity stunt, and I'm guessing the Porsche owner made or inherited his money outside of triathlon. The Lotus is a nice car, but if your hobby is messing around with cars you can buy and fix up an old Lotus for not too much money.

The rest of the cars were nothing that spectacular. Audi TT is a nice car, but Mirinda is a multiple world champion and it's hardly a supercar. Others were about what I'd expect for a group of people who spend an awful lot of time lugging around bikes, wetsuits, etc to races and training.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro and their cars on the front page [copperman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
copperman wrote:
Well or you can tell they make poor financial decisions ;)

I see an expensive car not as a "Wow they are loaded" but a a "Wow, you could have retired from your dayjob 1 year earlier if you bought a civic instead of that".

Same here. I sold my Infiniti and now that car payment is an IRA "payment". So when I retire I can buy 345870293847502983745 Infiniti's with cash! I'm no longer impressed by what cars people drive considering 80% of American's live paycheck to paycheck. They can continue to spend endless amounts of money to give off that "look" that they're wealthy!
Quote Reply
Re: Pro and their cars on the front page [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goosedog wrote:
Gwen for the win.

Biggest news in that entire article was.... Gwen has a Spec Shiv Tri? Really? Why?! Hmmmm? Are we going to see her at a 70.3 someday soon?

Then I saw another bike in the picture and realized it was a group ride and the Shiv is probably not hers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gallardos can now be 10 years old, they aren't and were not as expensive as they seemed (still not cheap). Heck they were supposed to be the lambo for everyman.. just not sure who that every man is.

They could be found for sub 80 I think a year or two ago and are now creeping back up, as in theoretically at this point an investment.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro and their cars on the front page [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lambo is no publicity stunt. Leanda's boyfriend Diaa Nour (co-creator of Ventum) posts about it every once in a while on Twitter and all that.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro and their cars on the front page [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goosedog wrote:
Gwen for the win.

x2

We have the same, but ours is older than Gwen's.
Works great.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Pro and their cars on the front page [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gwen used to be sponsored by a Honda dealership in Milwaukee......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rapp had the best one! He should run it on biodiesel, not even that hard to make. I will never understand performance cars.. Most of the reason I'm a triathlete now is due to my hatred for cars&driving I will never own a car again bad for the environment, health, my wallet, self incriminating, etc... started biking instead got good at it ya da ya da now I'm selling my car haven't driven that thing in like 9 months. 90% of people that drive performance cars are fat or skinny fat they didn't earn their speed like I did they just bought it, totally artificial ego inflation.
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Apr 24, 15 11:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about the Wurtele's and their RV?
Quote Reply
Re: Pro and their cars on the front page [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:
Rapp had the best one! He should run it on biodiesel, not even that hard to make. I will never understand performance cars..

This is obvious. You don't run that engine on bio diesel cheaply or without removing the particulate filter. What was it you were saying about the environment?

But rapp if you want to make some more power out of it without hurting your mpg let me know ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Pro and their cars on the front page [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
eggplantOG wrote:
Rapp had the best one! He should run it on biodiesel, not even that hard to make. I will never understand performance cars..

This is obvious. You don't run that engine on bio diesel cheaply or without removing the particulate filter. What was it you were saying about the environment?

But rapp if you want to make some more power out of it without hurting your mpg let me know ;)

Why would biodiesel be expensive? I mean it might take some time and a small initial investment to make it but regular diesel costs more long term. I'm not talking about svo
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Apr 24, 15 12:03
Quote Reply
Re: Pro and their cars on the front page [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Half of these say, 'get to drive', as in, they are probably borrowing them from a friend.
And then a quarter are plastered in sponsor logos, meaning they probably didn't pay for them.
The other quarter aren't really all that nice of cars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:
mrtopher1980 wrote:
eggplantOG wrote:

Why would biodiesel be expensive? I mean it might take some time and a small initial investment to make it but regular diesel costs more long term. I'm not talking about svo

Modern common rail high pressure direct injection diesels with particulate filters do not like biodiesel. Fuel pump failure on that engine will end up running you about 8grand on average.

Biodiesel is neat, have looked into it many times, on a car like that it is very cost prohibitive to get into and you would not save money you'd need to really like it as a hobby.

Personally I'm more interested in waste motor oil for fuel, overall cheaper to do as it is just really an initial up front cost for the filters, but I would never run that on the 2.0CR he and I have in our jetta wagons.... now the cummins in my jeep it would love it ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Pro and their cars on the front page [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Goosedog wrote:
Gwen for the win.

x2

We have the same, but ours is older than Gwen's.
Works great.

x3. I use my parents 2003 Odyssey when traveling to races. I just put all the seats in the back down and there's what is like a clip inside the back, just around the area under the cup holders in the very back. I use a bungee cord to strap my bike to it and it doesn't move at all.

I haven't done it yet but I have considered traveling to races far away and just putting a blow-up air mattress in there as well. Everything would easily fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Well good thing you can never tell how wealthy someone is by the car they drive.

This is so so so so true. Here in FL, the official car of real money is the Chevy Tahoe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

I said it on the front page, but the article gave an unbalanced view of what pro triathlete financial opportunities might be. It would have been good to balance it out with some 15 year old RV"s or a few 8-12 year old mini vans or Jetta Wagons (there was Rapp's newer one).

If I look at this article, the "pro triathlete" parking lot is a lot more fancy than the parking lot outside my tech company which really would not tell you which group has access to more financial opportunities. On the front page Herbert clarified, that he just worked with what he received, which clarifies the scenario.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:
Rapp had the best one! He should run it on biodiesel, not even that hard to make

Poor results on common rail engines.

ETA - as mentioned by Mr Topher it would appear.
Last edited by: James Haycraft: Apr 24, 15 14:22
Quote Reply
Re: Pro and their cars on the front page [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

This is so so so so true. Here in FL, the official car of real money is the Chevy Tahoe.
...and everyone else there drives giant Buicks or Lincoln Continentals, right? Usually maroon or cream colored for some reason.
Quote Reply

Prev Next