Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pro Triathlete Lauren Parker has a 1% chance of ever walking again -- contribute to her GoFundMe
Quote | Reply
Not sure why this hasn't been discussed on the forum or covered on the main page, but I just heard about it myself...Lauren Parker was in a horrible freak bike accident where both tires blew out from under her and she went down going ~35mph. Here's a recent news story and here is her GoFundMe. "I feel like I've lost my whole life," she says.

Puts these stupid aero shootouts and frivolous pro on pro lawsuits into perspective. Glad we got such good coverage on Jesse Thomas duct taping his tri top together, though -- really inspiring stuff
Last edited by: kileyay: May 2, 17 9:42
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Triathlete Lauren Parker has a 1% chance of ever walking again -- contribute to her GoFundMe [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:

Puts these stupid aero shootouts and frivolous pro on pro lawsuits into perspective. Glad we got such good coverage on Jesse Thomas duct taping his tri top together, though -- really inspiring stuff

It's been much more pleasant on the forum since Pubes went away, but this comment just seems so unnecessary.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Triathlete Lauren Parker has a 1% chance of ever walking again -- contribute to her GoFundMe [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. That's awful. I pray she has a miraculous recovery. Recovering is tough as I'm finding out from my recent crash.

It may or may not be so freak too, my brothers riding buddy had a double blow out yesterday. My brother went back to see what could have caused it. Someone was nice enough to lay down one of those carpet tack strips in the bike lane. On purpose I don't know, but still...

PS 45=28, not 35.
Last edited by: Meek: May 2, 17 10:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awful to read, puts my blown to pieces knee into perspective. I know what it is like to watch those medical bills just pile up, can't imagine what the emergency surgery cost.

PS, this is just the right amount of snark we can all appreciate from you.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn. It's very sad anytime I hear about rides which end in paralysis or death. I hope she is able to defy the odds.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She was 2nd in kona in 2015?
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Triathlete Lauren Parker has a 1% chance of ever walking again -- contribute to her GoFundMe [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
friesen wrote:
She was 2nd in kona in 2015?

F25-29 AG

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Last edited by: japarker24: May 2, 17 10:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Terrible. Thanks for sharing, and best wishes for her. Maybe one day she'll find her way back to sports via para-athletics.

Also, you make a point, there's no reason this hasn't been spotlighted yet if it has been known about. I hope the reason we don't see more of these is because there isn't a need for it. I think I recall one for Starky's Gofundme.

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Last edited by: way2sloow: May 2, 17 10:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't hear you complaining when the featured article was on you. Sounds like you just volunteered yourself to write articles for Dan.

But agreed, puts all of this stuff in perspective.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Triathlete Lauren Parker has a 1% chance of ever walking again -- contribute to her GoFundMe [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Didn't hear you complaining when the featured article was on you.

Did you read the OP? I basically said this -- coverage about such a tragic incident happening to a member of our sport is more deserving of a front page article than my dumb aero test. That was the intent of the snark.

I'm sorry to have offended some of you with a touch of sarcasm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't "offend" me but I construed the snark/shot at Dan that he would rather write stories about Jesse's duct tape than cover substantive, human stories. I certainly could be mistaken but surely you understand that sarcastic comments on the internet-even if intended in good faith--could get interpreted in an other-than-intended way by the readers.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: May 2, 17 12:32
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Triathlete Lauren Parker has a 1% chance of ever walking again -- contribute to her GoFundMe [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I certainly could be mistaken but surely you understand that sarcastic comments on the internet-even if intended in good faith--could get interpreted in an other-than-intended way by the readers.

That's funny considering who you're talking with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Donated.

And did you miss this in the OP? Specifically the part in bold. A direct shot at his own tunnel test and the subsequent article that followed - as compared to things like this.

kileyay wrote:

Do people even read?

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Triathlete Lauren Parker has a 1% chance of ever walking again -- contribute to her GoFundMe [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
Donated.

And did you miss this in the OP? Specifically the part in bold. A direct shot at his own tunnel test and the subsequent article that followed - as compared to things like this.

kileyay wrote:

Do people even read?

It's much more fun to skim something, jump to conclusions, and get mad.
Last edited by: Toefuzz: May 2, 17 14:01
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Triathlete Lauren Parker has a 1% chance of ever walking again -- contribute to her GoFundMe [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, read, and interpreted as stated above.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Triathlete Lauren Parker has a 1% chance of ever walking again -- contribute to her GoFundMe [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTBSully wrote:
can't imagine what the emergency surgery cost.

It's in Australia so i would say it cost nothing, the real cost will be the rehab and the cost of retrofitting a house to cope with a wheelchair. Just horrible what happened anyway, Newcastle and specifically Raymond Terrace where the accident happened is my neck of the woods, crash probably happened out on the highway which is where most triathletes tend to train.

Just shows how fragile life and health is, I've come off on the highway and broke my arm as I'm sure many others have done these types of injuries. All it takes is one bit of bad luck and you end up in a wheelchair or dead if you land wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Triathlete Lauren Parker has a 1% chance of ever walking again -- contribute to her GoFundMe [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
MTBSully wrote:

It's in Australia so i would say it cost nothing ...

Depending on her citizenship, if admitted through Emergency (which I expect was the case), the initial care would have been at no cost. The cost of treatment would also be minimal if she remains in the public hospital system. However, not every service is entirely free nor medications. Rather, they are subsidised and so there is a cost to bare by the individual -- it can add up.

Further, the public system has contention for services, so people might opt for a portion of treatment to be private. That decision obviously depends on one's financial situation, preexisting health insurance policy, locality and patience.

ed. fixed missing quote bracket
Last edited by: cerebis: May 2, 17 20:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
[/quote]Not sure why this hasn't been discussed on the forum or covered on the main page, but I just heard about it myself...Lauren Parker was in a horrible freak bike accident where both tires blew out from under her and she went down going ~35mph. Here's a [/url]recent news story[/url] and here is [/url]her GoFundMe[/url]. "I feel like I've lost my whole life," she says.

Puts these stupid aero shootouts and frivolous pro on pro lawsuits into perspective. Glad we got such good coverage on Jesse Thomas duct taping his tri top together, though -- really inspiring stuff[/quote]

Thanks for bringing this woman to the attention of this audience. that is thoughtful. I do think i understand your sentiment but why the need to insult the the site that is giving you the opportunity to inform? It seems the proverbial gift horse in the mouth kind of thing.

dont forget that this audience exists on this site because of trialthlon and because of the 'stupid' things you mention. If the stupd things did not exist there would be no audience here and what?..you would be out talking to yourself in your backyard? and she would have no attention at all nor would she have the generous people who come here to enjoy the 'stupid' stuff donating kindly to her rehab expenses.

you should be thankful for the 'stupid' stuff. it gives you a voice, it gathers like minded people and has made Ms Parkers situation more widely known
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Triathlete Lauren Parker has a 1% chance of ever walking again -- contribute to her GoFundMe [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope - I think it was fitting.
japarker24 wrote:
kileyay wrote:

It's been much more pleasant on the forum since Pubes went away, but this comment just seems so unnecessary.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Triathlete Lauren Parker has a 1% chance of ever walking again -- contribute to her GoFundMe [cerebis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerebis wrote:
TriguyBlue wrote:
MTBSully wrote:

It's in Australia so i would say it cost nothing ...

Depending on her citizenship, if admitted through Emergency (which I expect was the case), the initial care would have been at no cost. The cost of treatment would also be minimal if she remains in the public hospital system. However, not every service is entirely free nor medications. Rather, they are subsidised and so there is a cost to bare by the individual -- it can add up.

Further, the public system has contention for services, so people might opt for a portion of treatment to be private. That decision obviously depends on one's financial situation, preexisting health insurance policy, locality and patience.

ed. fixed missing quote bracket

Yeah for sure the costs after can add up, but there will no crazy cost that runs into the $100,000s for the surgery that i guess posters from the USA would expect. She was admitted to the John Hunter hospital so it would have been emergency 100%.

They will appreciate the money for sure, the rehab will be a long and expensive process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for sharing and donation made! I was recently (March 1st) is a high speed bike accident doing a little under 40, multiple back fractures, concussion, large contusions, cuts, etc.

My injuries only required meds, rest and physical therapy... and I'm just now easing back into training. But I am able to do that where as Lauren may never walk again... sobering thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello kileyay and All,

Thanks for posting ...

I will contribute to Lauren's GoFundMe .... as even with a good national Medicare in Australia .... there are always extra costs ... and a show of support from the triathlon community can be helpful when you are hurting.

She is young and spinal cord treatment with stem cells and hypothermia are improving .... wishing her good luck with her '1%' chance.

There people beating the odds every day now with the new medical advances ... like Mike Levine .... at one year and counting stage 4 pancreatic cancer survivor (and maybe Kona IM entrant).

We need to take time to appreciate our good fortune as a surprise could nail any one of us.

Her double blowout crash got me to thinking about our current bicycle tire technology. Perhaps there is safety trade off with our new paper thin tires. Could a clincher tire and rim combination be designed so it would function to maintain bicycle control after a blowout? Would a sewup have stayed on the rim and been controllable?

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Donated. Thanks for bringing this here. Always a tragedy, but hope she can gain strength soon again.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Triathlete Lauren Parker has a 1% chance of ever walking again -- contribute to her GoFundMe [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello kileyay and All,

Thanks for posting ...

I will contribute to Lauren's GoFundMe .... as even with a good national Medicare in Australia .... there are always extra costs ... and a show of support from the triathlon community can be helpful when you are hurting.

She is young and spinal cord treatment with stem cells and hypothermia are improving .... wishing her good luck with her '1%' chance.

There people beating the odds every day now with the new medical advances ... like Mike Levine .... at one year and counting stage 4 pancreatic cancer survivor (and maybe Kona IM entrant).

We need to take time to appreciate our good fortune as a surprise could nail any one of us.

Her double blowout crash got me to thinking about our current bicycle tire technology. Perhaps there is safety trade off with our new paper thin tires. Could a clincher tire and rim combination be designed so it would function to maintain bicycle control after a blowout? Would a sewup have stayed on the rim and been controllable?

Maybe someday this could be the norm for bicycle tires.

Quote Reply