Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pricing Strategies of bike companies
Quote | Reply
for fun, I was perusing the cervelo website today to see what models of the p5 are available. there is dura ace at 8500 and dura ace di2 at 11000. all specs on the website are identical except the FD, RD and shifters.

when did 9070 FD,RD and ultegra shifters(add in wires, battery and charger) become a 2500 additional cost over regular 9000 FD,RD da shifters??

the parts needed to convert a 9000 TT bike to a 9070 TT bike can be hard for about 1400, maybe less with good shopping, and then you have the left over 9000 parts to sell. wiring di2 is not rocket science

do folks actually order the di2 model?
Quote Reply
Re: Pricing Strategies of bike companies [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems inline with car companies. 800-1000$ for a in car GPS? $150 for floor mats?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about this. $2800 for p2 105 11s, $2500 for p2 105 10s, (ok, no problem here) and $3000 for P3 frameset (frame, fork, seatpost). Same Frame as P2!

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: Pricing Strategies of bike companies [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be fair, the paint is prettier on the P3. Gotta be worth a few hundred $$.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Pricing Strategies of bike companies [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and different fork
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wiring di2 is not rocket science

You know that many triathletes can barely change a tire/tube! :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The kind of people spending $11k on a bike probably just want it straight from the factory, with warranty, knowing everything has been done as well as the factory can do it. Saving $1100 and doing it themselves is likely unappealing.

A richer version of me would be right in that bucket: I don't have the time, tools, space, or knowledge to properly wire up a Di2 setup or change my components or even maintain my components (I get the bike shop to do it). I'd be much happier getting the factory-installed stuff over bodging my own stuff in there.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Quote Reply
Re: Pricing Strategies of bike companies [AHare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
factory does not install it, the shop does :)

and good shops would likely do an upgrade/swap out for you for much less than the 2500 premium
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, take off the wheels, crank, Aero bars, derailleurs, shifters and saddle off the P2 and what's left?
So whats' that? $1000 for a different fork?

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: Pricing Strategies of bike companies [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and paint, but yes. if paint sways you that is. plus, the p3 fork is not cheap, I think cervelo charges 500 for it, and then paint wont match. let's not get into the cost of a warranty keeping paint job

the p5, paint is the same, parts are the same, save the di2 part on 3 pieces. order 9000 have shop swap out for di2 :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
factory does not install it, the shop does :)

and good shops would likely do an upgrade/swap out for you for much less than the 2500 premium

Well there you go: They're selling to dumb/lazy folks like me :-)

The other thought is that an average shop might make a lot more profit out of pushing the $11k bike than the $9k+upgrades bike, so they might do that instead of offering to replace the components on the $9k unit.

Or it lets them sell the $11k bike at a discount to a buyer looking at the $9k version: "Well tell you what Mr. McDuck, I'll sell you that $11k monster for $10k" and then it seems like a sweet deal to the customer while the shop only spends a little bit more on components.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Last edited by: AHare: Feb 27, 15 10:14
Quote Reply
Re: Pricing Strategies of bike companies [AHare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's kind of like the old discontinued p5-6 upgrade kit for 1500. buy a p5-3 frameset(discontinued as well) and an upgrade kit for 500 less than a p5-6 frameset and have an extra fork to spare
Quote Reply