Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pregnant Women Ran Boston Marathon Sub 3 Hours?
Quote | Reply
 My wife swears there was a blonde women wearing a blue tank top who was at least 6 months pregnant that ran sub 3 hours, (since she finished in front of me). Was my wife seeing things or did it really happen?

-Michael Welch My Blog
Supported by: TEAM ZOOT Swiftwick
For all your endurance shopping needs
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnant Women Ran Boston Marathon Sub 3 Hours? [in10siv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in10siv wrote:
My wife swears there was a blonde women wearing a blue tank top who was at least 6 months pregnant that ran sub 3 hours, (since she finished in front of me). Was my wife seeing things or did it really happen?

why do you hate pregnant women?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ingrid Kristiansen of Norway won the Houston Marathon in 1983 (?) in 2:33 while 4 months pregnant so why not?

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnant Women Ran Boston Marathon Sub 3 Hours? [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Impressive!! I was hoping to get her bib number to check her out. My wife said she was cute ;)

-Michael Welch My Blog
Supported by: TEAM ZOOT Swiftwick
For all your endurance shopping needs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There were a couple of articles in the LA Times in the past week about 6 or so LA area people who didn't finish last year and went back this year.
IIRC one of them is now 3-6? months preggers.
Don't think she went sub 3 though.

Way back I coached a pregnant swimmer. Her Doc said all was good if she kept her HR below 140.

Don't know what current recommendations are, but not sue you could go sub 3 staying below 140.
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnant Women Ran Boston Marathon Sub 3 Hours? [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your wife is correct. Not sure of her time but she finished sub 2:55. She got quite a cheer heading down the home stretch. Impressive!
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnant Women Ran Boston Marathon Sub 3 Hours? [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Plumb wrote:
Ingrid Kristiansen of Norway won the Houston Marathon in 1983 (?) in 2:33 while 4 months pregnant so why not?

Ingrid was 3 months pregnant at Houston with the time 2.32. Then when she was in 4 or 5 month she ran the world championship in cross country. After a disappointed 35 place she went to the doctor and rest is history.http://www.ingridkristiansen.com/2013/06/26/4607/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was on the "T" on Monday afternoon heading back to Riverside after the race and met a husband/wife team on the platform. She was apparently 6 months along or so, but you'd never guess it. Tall and lean she was, but she said she ran really easy, and hit a 3:35 or so. With almost 32000 peeps running, odds are pretty high more than a handful of them were expecting!

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't want to rain on anyone's parade but the incidence of miscarriage is very sobering among women I know that were very high volume cyclists and who tried to maintain their volume during pregnancy. I've seen more than one incidence of miscarriages accompanied by high mileage riding, followed by successful pregnancies accompanied by much more moderate exercise. Don't have similar personal experience with running but running sure isn't easier on the body than cycling.

Moderate exercise during pregnancy is great. However, not so sure that running a marathon while pregnant is something most physicians would sign off on. Clearly some women are able to do it but just be aware of the potential risks.
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnant Women Ran Boston Marathon Sub 3 Hours? [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To unrain on everyone's parade, there is no actual evidence that high volume cyclists have miscarriages more often than normal women. Miscarriages happen a lot, period.

My wife's doctor said no problem to race the state road championship while pregnant as long as it wasn't too hot. The doctors only advised caution in later months where a crash could be risky to the baby.

This book was recommended to us by a physiologist as the only real evidence based book on athletes and pregnancy:

http://www.amazon.com/...-Clapp/dp/1936374331

tttiltheend wrote:
Don't want to rain on anyone's parade but the incidence of miscarriage is very sobering among women I know that were very high volume cyclists and who tried to maintain their volume during pregnancy. I've seen more than one incidence of miscarriages accompanied by high mileage riding, followed by successful pregnancies accompanied by much more moderate exercise. Don't have similar personal experience with running but running sure isn't easier on the body than cycling.

Moderate exercise during pregnancy is great. However, not so sure that running a marathon while pregnant is something most physicians would sign off on. Clearly some women are able to do it but just be aware of the potential risks.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Last edited by: jackmott: Apr 24, 14 4:49
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnant Women Ran Boston Marathon Sub 3 Hours? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really can't give any more details about the anecdotes (and note that I'm using plural) that I have personal experience with, but let's just say they are extremely cautionary regarding extended, long distance exercise during pregnancy, but not cautionary at all about moderate exercise. I did a little research on this and as is usual you can find data to support whatever you believe in. There was a study in Denmark published in 2007 that found a correlation between strenuous exercise in the first trimester and miscarriage. Other studies have not found a link.

One thing to keep in mind is that what we may regard as moderate exercise might be another person's extreme exercise. If a couple is consulting with their doctor for advice on this issue, just make sure to communicate very clearly; an athlete might think "moderate" is dropping the weekly hours from 25 to 15 and cutting back a bit on L6-7, whereas the doctor might be thinking "moderate" is up to an hour a day of L1-2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Doc's say it is fine. My wife did a half marry at 6mths. Other than stoppping to pee a lot she was fine! (I know I ran with her and timed how much time she spent peeing, almost 8 minutes with lines!!)

She cruised it. Just wanted to have a goal to keep her sane. Mountain biking was out for her early on though. More a risk of impact.

NCCP certified Comp coach
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnant Women Ran Boston Marathon Sub 3 Hours? [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My general advice for pregnant people: if you wonder whether if it is a good idea to do something then you probably shouldn't do it. Most things that we worry about are no big deal, but if something bad does happen the mother will likely end up blaming herself. For example those high mileage bikers blame their biking for their miscarriages when statistically they most likely miscarried for some other reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
I really can't give any more details about the anecdotes (and note that I'm using plural) that I have personal experience with, but let's just say they are extremely cautionary regarding extended, long distance exercise during pregnancy, but not cautionary at all about moderate exercise. I did a little research on this and as is usual you can find data to support whatever you believe in. There was a study in Denmark published in 2007 that found a correlation between strenuous exercise in the first trimester and miscarriage. Other studies have not found a link.

One thing to keep in mind is that what we may regard as moderate exercise might be another person's extreme exercise. If a couple is consulting with their doctor for advice on this issue, just make sure to communicate very clearly; an athlete might think "moderate" is dropping the weekly hours from 25 to 15 and cutting back a bit on L6-7, whereas the doctor might be thinking "moderate" is up to an hour a day of L1-2.

Doctors are highly conservative. Of COURSE they would recommend for less. Even if the evidence clearly said there was no risk, if something bad DOES happen, even if it's unrelated, they'll highly likely to be sued for it regardless.

I'm not saying that pregnant women should up and run ultras at 8 months, but I do think the data out there is sparse at best, and not at all as strong as you suggest it is against running. It is very hard to make a good study based on the small numbers of women who actually run marathons pregnant.
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnant Women Ran Boston Marathon Sub 3 Hours? [jonahsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonahsdad wrote:
My general advice for pregnant people: if you wonder whether if it is a good idea to do something then you probably shouldn't do it. Most things that we worry about are no big deal, but if something bad does happen the mother will likely end up blaming herself. For example those high mileage bikers blame their biking for their miscarriages when statistically they most likely miscarried for some other reason.

+1

---------------------------------------------------
Holden Cain, ObGyn..."People pulling people out of people"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend ran the half marathon 4 days ahead of her due date - 10 min miles, but still... Had a healthy baby on Tuesday, born with a BAA medal around its neck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
To unrain on everyone's parade, there is no actual evidence that high volume cyclists have miscarriages more often than normal women. Miscarriages happen a lot, period.

My wife's doctor said no problem to race the state road championship while pregnant as long as it wasn't too hot. The doctors only advised caution in later months where a crash could be risky to the baby.

This book was recommended to us by a physiologist as the only real evidence based book on athletes and pregnancy:

http://www.amazon.com/...-Clapp/dp/1936374331

tttiltheend wrote:

Why don't you love Theo?
Quote Reply