Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Predict my marathon time - another one of those threads
Quote | Reply
Predict my marathon time, please. Target race - OC Marathon in SoCal on 05/03/2015. Pretty flat, starts early at 5:30am. Shooting for 3:10. I am a 42 yo male, 6'1, 162 lbs.

Training - Hanson's advanced schedule. In the 15th week. Averaging 46 mpw for the last 14 weeks. Have another 3 weeks of training which will take me to about 47 mpw average for 17 weeks. The longest run was 16.5 miles as they prescribe in their program.

I have not been cycling at all since the beginning of the year and have been swimming 1-2 times per week to keep the load down and aid recovery. My tempo run were all done at 7:10 mins per mile and felt reasonably comfortable. I have stuck to their plan precisely, except for substituting every other strength workout with just a 8 mile aerobic run.

Recent results - 1:28:20 half in December (pretty flat), 39:59 10k in March (2 loops of moderate rollers). I had a major blow up in the NY mara 2014 in November (3:27 and the deathmarch for the last 4 miles).

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Predict my marathon time - another one of those threads [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NYC '14 was tough with the wind. I also paid for it but for me it was just the last two miles.

My opinion is that your 3:10 goal may be aggressive with the MPW and the 16 mile longest run. How long was the 7:10 tempo run?
Quote Reply
Re: Predict my marathon time - another one of those threads [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Usually double the half plus 10-15%....1:28 x 2 = 2:56 + 20 = 3:16.
It may be a little aggressive to shoot for 3:10 right now. Try to get it and then use that as your new baseline.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Predict my marathon time, please. Target race - OC Marathon in SoCal on 05/03/2015. Pretty flat, starts early at 5:30am. Shooting for 3:10. I am a 42 yo male, 6'1, 162 lbs.

Training - Hanson's advanced schedule. In the 15th week. Averaging 46 mpw for the last 14 weeks. Have another 3 weeks of training which will take me to about 47 mpw average for 17 weeks. The longest run was 16.5 miles as they prescribe in their program.

I have not been cycling at all since the beginning of the year and have been swimming 1-2 times per week to keep the load down and aid recovery. My tempo run were all done at 7:10 mins per mile and felt reasonably comfortable. I have stuck to their plan precisely, except for substituting every other strength workout with just a 8 mile aerobic run.

Recent results - 1:28:20 half in December (pretty flat), 39:59 10k in March (2 loops of moderate rollers). I had a major blow up in the NY mara 2014 in November (3:27 and the deathmarch for the last 4 miles).

I run less than you and not as hard, my half is about 1:27. I haven't ran a full in a while but doubt I can break 3:05. 3:10 may be reasonable if you rest enough prior to
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think you have enough mileage esp given your recent NY marathon blow up.....

I'd aim for 3:15-3:20.

These hanson plans seem to be low on total mileage.
Quote Reply
Re: Predict my marathon time - another one of those threads [ctbrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did 6/7/8/9 tempo runs, all in blocks of 3 once per week (so first 3 weeks were 6 mile runs, then the next 3 weeks were 7 mile runs, etc). This week + the following 2 will be 10 mile tempo runs - might skip the last 10 miler to start resting properly.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Last edited by: alex_korr: Apr 6, 15 13:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll go with 3:09:00

I just ran 3:08:34 on a flat course a couple of weeks ago. I did the Hanson advanced plan as well, but did each work out at the prescribed 3:10:00 pace so I am not sure how switching out the strength workout will impact. My average miles ended up being closer to 60 (did a pretty standard 2 warm-up/2 cool down).

I ran a 1:34 half in week 3 of the plan on a rolling course with no taper. Previous marathon was last May at 3:30.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think 3:10 sounds like a reasonable goal given your half time. I'm doing Boston in 2 weeks and shooting for a similar time...Ran a 1:27:xx half very early in training, peaked at 59mpw, 3 long runs 20+, the last of which included 14 miles at 7:10-7:15 pace...I feel reasonably confident that I have a shot to go sub 3:10 (barring the million things that can go wrong on race day)...you should as well. For whatever it is worth, the McMillan calculator spits out a ~3:06 for you. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how long are your temp runs at 7:10? you should be able to do 8-10 miles at MP in training without a major struggle.
Quote Reply
Re: Predict my marathon time - another one of those threads [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jjh wrote:
how long are your temp runs at 7:10? you should be able to do 8-10 miles at MP in training without a major struggle.

in thre hansen plan it goes up to 10 mi of work for 4 weeks i think thats at marathon pace
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
people will tell you that you have no chance because your long run is too short, but I know a good number of runners with similar running ability to yours that have had good success with this plan. You are running those 16 milers on darn tired legs and come monday morning pounding out another run on tired legs then the tuesday strength work is the cherry on top.

I think if you keep the calories coming in during the race and listen to your body you will run a good race, your times for shorter distances are clearly suggestive that you have the ability to run well. At least you'll be done early, 5 freaking thirty, ack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3:07:45

Go kick some ass.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to give you some motivation, I will predict,

3:10:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alex,

It is very strange how a lot of these calculators work. I think that you can do it, but when I look at my own results. They really don't make sense. I ran a 3:16 last year and qualified for Boston. If you look at my run times on Strava there are a ton of guys that are faster than me at the half distance that blow up at marathon distance. I wan't to run less than 3:10 at Boston and I might have a good chance at doing it. I am a better runner than last year. If I put in times like you, I think it would be easy to do 3:10. Really pay attention to your body is telling you. Don't go out to hard, it seems like a lot of fast guys go out a bit hard then burn out. You will do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Predict my marathon time - another one of those threads [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I predict breaking 3:10 i
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3:09:47

Quote Reply
Re: Predict my marathon time - another one of those threads [JesseR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran less than you, around 35-40mpw, my PR in a half mary last April was 1:28:xx. I ran my first mary that May broke 3hrs - 2:59:43 to be exact. It's doable with your mileage especially the amount of time in weeks you have been running that much. I only really trained for the marathon for about 4 solid months, longest run was 22 miles about a month out. Mileage helps, period. But it's not the end all be all - I think I proved that. But I am not your normal runner, I'm more of a grinder!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
failure on the marathon comes mainly because people don't know their potential and they tend to be too aggressive in the first half, collapsing in the last 5-10km

From your data is almost impossible to shoot for your real potential, I would need to see your training logs of the last 2 months to give a close estimation but, in these cases I prefer to shoot on what to do on the first half to raise the chances of a succesful marathon.

If I were in your situation, I would run the first half in 1h45 exactly and then, from that point, if 1h45 too conservative, you can still pick up the pace and go faster in the second half.
if you are not sure, don't try to be aggressive on the first half!
It can be you are thinking now...pfff 1h45 too slow for me!
if you start too fast, the second half will be even 2h00, you bet.

In the end, minimize the risk of collapsing in the second half and start super conservative. you ll be very happy at the arrival. but you need to run with the handbrake pulled in the first 13miles, forcing yourself at 1h45
you will do a nice zombie collection in the last 10k
Quote Reply
Re: Predict my marathon time - another one of those threads [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
I would run the first half in 1h45 exactly and then, from that point, if 1h45 too conservative, you can still pick up the pace and go faster in the second half.

So you are recommending a 1:45 / 1:25?

That is an 8:01 pace for the first half and a 6:29 pace for the second half. Hmmmmm. I like negative splits but that, well that looks unlikely for someone who's long run is only 16 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Predict my marathon time - another one of those threads [CPA_Triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPA_Triathlete wrote:
Plissken74 wrote:

I would run the first half in 1h45 exactly and then, from that point, if 1h45 too conservative, you can still pick up the pace and go faster in the second half.

So you are recommending a 1:45 / 1:25?

That is an 8:01 pace for the first half and a 6:29 pace for the second half. Hmmmmm. I like negative splits but that, well that looks unlikely for someone who's long run is only 16 miles.

I think he is saying if he were you, he would take it easier/slower the first half. Then see how you feel for the 2nd half and if you feel good, push harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you can do 3:10, possibly around 3:08.

Half times do not always carry on to full, as a lot of people tend to pace themselves poorly. A few seconds slower per mile / km can do wonders on HR for one person and nothing for another.

To be frank, I am at about the exact same place in terms of 10k/21.1k times as you, and aiming for a similar time for a full marathon in September (3:12 is my goal, it's a tad hilly). If I don't believe you can, then I don't believe I can either, and we can't have that, can we? ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3:15
Quote Reply

Prev Next