Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Practicing nutrition on long runs
Quote | Reply
I've completed several bricks in my build and had long runs up to 16 mi., practicing my nutrition with each. My plan (all liquid w/ the exception of a few gels to get me to mile 16 or so of the run) is working out great, in training.

Next weekend, I have an 18 mi. run scheduled for Sunday. It's my only workout for the day. How should I work my nutrition for this? The question I have is......how much do I eat before the run? How do you mimic the point I'll be at when I start my IM run? Is that even possible ....or advised?

Am I over-thinking this? I have 20 and 21 mi. runs still to come. I'd like to nail this.
Quote Reply
Re: Practicing nutrition on long runs [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might be a good time to practice your pre-race nutrition as well. Anything you eat will be gone before too long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are not overthinking the importance of nutrition, but you stand alone long run from your house after a nice breakfast is not going to reflect what will be going on with your body race day on the run.

Nevertheless, practice your plan. There are plenty of wacky theories on what/how much to consume, but most FOP and pros do very similar things. Get a good plan and execute that.

IMO most nutrition issues come from taking in too much or going too hard. Don't do those and you have a good chance.
Quote Reply
Re: Practicing nutrition on long runs [nbaffaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've completed bricks of 50/10, 60/10 and 80/11 (twice), practicing pre-race and on-course nutrition each time. My last 3 races have been 70.3s.....and I've done "pretty similar" pre-race plans for them. I just don't know how to replicate where I'll be when I start the run....or, if that's even advisable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fasted? First thing in the morning. Then maybe start with nutrition like you would do right at the end of the bike. So if you eat a gel at the end of the bike, eat a gel just before the run? You are pretty depleted when you start that run, so I don't think any type of pre-run meal will replicate the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
I've completed bricks of 50/10, 60/10 and 80/11 (twice), practicing pre-race and on-course nutrition each time. My last 3 races have been 70.3s.....and I've done "pretty similar" pre-race plans for them. I just don't know how to replicate where I'll be when I start the run....or, if that's even advisable.

if all those bricks and especially the half iron races worked out for you, i think you are good at this point and know what needs to be done. For the run workout, just run and dont worry about it. As someone said earlier, there is no way to replicate how you are going to feel after eating sports drink, gels and bars for 5 to 6 hours. For me, a few miles into the run all of that sports nutrition starts to taste and even look absolutely disgusting, which is why the coke, broth, and pretzels start to taste much better. All you can do is hope you did everything on the bike right and keep properly eating on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Practicing nutrition on long runs [goregrind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all. This is going to sound all weight-weenie-ish.....but,....how many calories are in that broth? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is not likely the response you are looking for - keep trying different things and take notes. unfortunately there is no universal application.

nutrition seems like a never ending piece to 'nail'. some days everything that worked fails which is why i often try new things. first time trying new things usually occurs a few times mid week on long enough sessions gauge my reaction, yet short enough it willnot ruin a workout if it goes terribly wrong. after a few good sessions i incorporate to longtraining days.

sure, one can get a sense of 'go-to's' relatively fast. but it is a process that never really ends in my training. i do like to go through very similar pre- routines in training as on race day. that should be a staple and effortless.

best
Quote Reply
Re: Practicing nutrition on long runs [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
You are not overthinking the importance of nutrition, but you stand alone long run from your house after a nice breakfast is not going to reflect what will be going on with your body race day on the run.

Nevertheless, practice your plan. There are plenty of wacky theories on what/how much to consume, but most FOP and pros do very similar things. Get a good plan and execute that.

IMO most nutrition issues come from taking in too much or going too hard. Don't do those and you have a good chance.

I'm curious. What would you consider too much? I've been working on my overall nutrition plan for my 1st IM. I feel like HIM I was less of an issue being half the distance and I felt like I probably "got away" with things I won't be able to at full distance. I've mostly decided on liquid only on the bike. Potentially some gu gels. The run I'm just not certain how much and for how long during the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Practicing nutrition on long runs [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Let me make a disclaimer first: people can be successful with different nutrition. There are other factors that could lead to G.I. distress.

With that said, with normal heat and not unusual sweat rate, 30oz and 300cal on the bike would be considered in the normal range on the bike.
On the run 2-3 swallows at every aid station on the run. 150 cal an hour.

Disclaimer number 2, n=1 and humblebraf alert. I have won my AG in a few IM events on 275cal on the bike and 125 an hour on the run, and had stomach issues when I used to try for more.

My Advice is to you is to worry less about bonking and more about G.I. distress from eating too much. If you eat not quite enough but you're constantly taking stuff, I really don't think you'll bonk. If you eat too much and go too hard and your stomach shuts down, that is the worst. I have done that too, and it is much harder to get back on track than eating a smidge too little.
Quote Reply
Re: Practicing nutrition on long runs [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
Fasted? First thing in the morning. Then maybe start with nutrition like you would do right at the end of the bike. So if you eat a gel at the end of the bike, eat a gel just before the run? You are pretty depleted when you start that run, so I don't think any type of pre-run meal will replicate the race.

I am not an expert on ironman nutrition (though have done 2 and not bonked) but I have to think starting the ironman marathon with a 100 calorie gel in the tank is a recipe for disaster. Last 10 miles of the ironman bike I usually back off the pace a little bit and hydrate/fuel up -- probably aim to be 500 calories in the positive to start (not too much to be bloated/sloshing).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I am the exception, again :). I have never practiced nutrition, on a long bike or run. Bike I would just bring a p&j sandwich and an apple. For a 2.5 hour run, nothing.
Probably not smart, but since in a race I just use my boom on the bike with water, and try to get coke and chips on the run, I just try to keep it simple.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Practicing nutrition on long runs [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. That's good advice. I'm aiming for 300-400 cal per hour on the bike just from tailwind. I've been practicing with that. My issue is I tend to drink very little so I'm practicing on a schedule. And what you state on run sounds fairly normal for me. I take a gel maybe 45 min to an hour and alternate water and gatorade at aid stations. Of course being first IM it will be new to me.
Quote Reply