Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Powertap upgrade to G3
Quote | Reply
I have two older Powertap hubs, both wired with the LYC. Both dead nuts reliable for what they are.

I'm thinking about doing the upgrade programs for $350 where they turn your older hub into a G3.

Has anyone done this? How has the wireless signal been from hub to Garmin (I have a 910xt)? Worth it?
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap upgrade to G3 [Jonathan22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so $700 total upgrade for both? There might be other options that are cheaper that might be swapped between bikes that folks more knowledgeable than me can chime in on.

But to the second question, I was upgraded from SL to G3 and used with a 910xt, no issues at all. I now use P1s though
Last edited by: ChrisM: Feb 6, 17 11:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jonathan22 wrote:
I have two older Powertap hubs, both wired with the LYC. Both dead nuts reliable for what they are.

I'm thinking about doing the upgrade programs for $350 where they turn your older hub into a G3.

Has anyone done this? How has the wireless signal been from hub to Garmin (I have a 910xt)? Worth it?

I have a G3 hub and have absolutely no issues getting a signal to both my Fenix 3 and my Garmin 510.

Quote | Reply
I upgraded my wired unit to a G3. Overall, it was a very good decision, and totally worth it. BUT, you'll find the 910XT (or any Forerunner or any Edge computer) sort of blows when compared to the LYC. But you'll get used to it. The data quality and updating interval is way snappier on the wired LYC - ANT+ (or BT) is a bit more delayed and choppier if that makes sense. That said, if I had a wired powertap, I'd still trade it in for the G3. In my case, Powertap sold me the entire wheelset, not just the hub.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap upgrade to G3 [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to both. I thought I had read that there were some dropped signals but maybe that was older versions.

Regarding upgrading both, I'm actually torn as to what my upgrade path should be.

Tri bike is 2008 Cervelo P2 with Shimano 7900 (10 speed DA) Zipp 808 Powertap hub wheels.
Road bike is 2006 Raleigh SuperCourse with Shimano 5500 (9 speed 105) with Mavic Open Pro Power hub wheels.

For the tri bike and Zipp 808, I am 70% sure I will upgrade. My other path would be to get a new crank and go Stages. The reason why I would choose this path is I'm signed up for IM CDA this fall and having a semi-compact crank might be better than a full size crank with a 12-28 cassette. On the other hand, I have no trouble climbing.

For the road bike, the ROI on the upgrade is less clear.
I could a) upgrade the wheel to have wireless and/or b) upgrade to new 105 (which could be with the upgraded existing PT hub or new wheels and drop the powermeter (not sure I even need it on the road bike as I have a Computrainer that I use for my weekday rides to train with power and my weekend rides (i.e. roadbike) tend to be LSD type rides (or balls out)).

Either way, power matters less to be on the road bike. And my 5500 setup, although 9 speed, still works like a champ.

And then there is the "just keep what I have" and ride.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • Your P2 is a solid bike. Make it aero and fly IMCDA with it.
  • Is your 808 a wired powertap? If yes, I'd upgrade it too.
  • That road bike is crap. Don't spend any money there.
  • You may have dropout issues with the 910. Look into getting at least an Edge 500.
  • Stages is crap. Avoid.
  • Upgrading both wheelsets might be a similar cost to a crank-based powermeter. Why not just buy a Quarq that you can swap between your P2 and road bike?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a G3 upgrade and a new G3. Both work identically because the electronics are .... Identical. So no worries about the upgrade.

The only issue to consider is if you are interested in disc brakes. The rim brake PTs will be obsolete if discs really become the standard.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap upgrade to G3 [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:

• That road bike is crap. Don't spend any money there.

We are going to have to disagree on that one.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap upgrade to G3 [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I have a G3 upgrade and a new G3. Both work identically because the electronics are .... Identical. So no worries about the upgrade.

The only issue to consider is if you are interested in disc brakes. The rim brake PTs will be obsolete if discs really become the standard.

Thank you.

I'm not sold on the disc brakes for road bikes. Then again, I'm still on cantis on my gravel bike and vbrakes on my two mountain bikes.
Quote Reply