Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Powertap question
Quote | Reply
Cannot find the answer to the question I have. Just bought a powertap g3 aluminum clincher. And will be pairing it to a garmin 310xt. But I'm not sure what exactly to do before each ride... As in not sure what calibration function to do, if any? Can powertap users help me out. My searches yielded awesome results for displays of metrics. But not my main question.. Thanks!

The only easy day was yesterday.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap question [triCSU1869] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you really don't HAVE to do anything, as the powertap will re-zero as soon as you coast for about 5 seconds.

But if you don't expect to be doing any coasting or want to super accurate even at the start of your ride (like before a triathlon) these should be the steps to re-zero the powertap:

https://support.garmin.com/...t/case.faces?caseId={5954e2f0-9dbd-11e0-d01c-000000000000}

Garmin calls it calibration, but it isn't really calibration, it is just zeroing.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap question [triCSU1869] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am new to PT too and had similar questions. I have the 910xt and as soon as I turn it on and put it in bike mode it displays a message something like, "power meter detected, calibrate Y/N". I select yes (The bike is stationary, ie, not biking, pedaling or even sitting on the bike). It concludes the calibration and displays a value of around 510 ( which I understand is okay, ie less then 500 is bad) and the torque readings are 0. That't it, I then ride and assume that my power readings are fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap question [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's nice, but the poster has a 310XT. It does not display the same messages as the 910XT (though I wish it did).

I have the same setup, aluminum G3 clincher, 310XT, and I don't usually do any calibration at the start. Sometimes if I'm on the trainer, or it seems my power readings are too high or low, I'll stop and go into Settings > Bike Settings > Bike1 > ANT+ Power > Calibrate, and it'll give a number somewhere around 512 +/- 2.
Quote Reply