Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Powertap P1s - set #2 dead I think
Quote | Reply
15 hours into my second set of P1s the right one stopped broadcasting. Assumed was batteries. Think it might be related to > 6mm of axle movement

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t51c15bmo1jk4a7/2017-02-02%2018.48.50.mp4?dl=0

Does anyone have P1s that actually work and work for more than 20 hours?
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap P1s - set #2 dead I think [ddave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that looks like a total mechanical failure.

I have more than 2,500 miles and more than 130 hours on my P1 pedals so far. I am on my 3rd set of batteries. Mine are just like the first day I rode them. Though, I am curious to see if I have any axle play...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ddave wrote:
15 hours into my second set of P1s the right one stopped broadcasting. Assumed was batteries. Think it might be related to > 6mm of axle movement

Are you talking about two sided P1 pedals, or one sided P1S pedals? I have a set of P1 pedals with a few hundred hours on 'em.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well that's definitely disappointing to someone who is about to order a set. How did your first pair die?

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap P1s - set #2 dead I think [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
ddave wrote:

Are you talking about two sided P1 pedals, or one sided P1S pedals? I have a set of P1 pedals with a few hundred hours on 'em.

What the **** is a one side powermeter? :)

I was trying these out to see could I move away from SRMs but after a decade of no hassle ever from SRMs I'm beginning to realise why they are worth the extra cash
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap P1s - set #2 dead I think [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
Well that's definitely disappointing to someone who is about to order a set. How did your first pair die?

The calibration factor went to 100 and the readings would be erratic, then the right one failed completely. About 30-40 hours in.

Do not order a set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ddave wrote:
jazzymusicman wrote:
ddave wrote:

What the **** is a one side powermeter? :)

I was trying these out to see could I move away from SRMs but after a decade of no hassle ever from SRMs I'm beginning to realise why they are worth the extra cash

Powertap makes a set of pedals called P1S where one of them (I think the right side) doesn't have electronics in it. It's as "useful" as Stages
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same thing happen to me during a race. Saris ended up replacing the right pedal.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My right one died after about 10 months. Got new caps and was kind of OK for a while but continued to fail at random times. Finally it went consistently dead and I sent them back last week. Waiting for a new set to come.
The warning sign was changing calibration values, started increasing from 19-20 to 55-57 over a few weeks before they died. Saris insists the calibration # don't mean shit but I tend to disagree... if they change from one day to the next without any change in temperature or firmware version etc. then it's fishy.

I'm going back to Power2Max. My friend bought a new one over the holidays and gave me the P2M NG coupon so I bought a new Rotor 3D Prologue (w chainrings) for $600. My old P2M worked flawlessly for 3 years before I sold it.
Last edited by: sp1ke: Feb 2, 17 12:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ddave wrote:
CCF wrote:

The calibration factor went to 100 and the readings would be erratic, then the right one failed completely. About 30-40 hours in.

Do not order a set.
My right one failed about 6 months ago. Got them replaced and second pair going strong. Have done 2 triathlons, lots of normal rides including a 184km race with zero issues.

I love them, love the responsiveness of the company and would highly recommend them to anyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since early November 2016 no issues- knock wood....
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap P1s - set #2 dead I think [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Since early November 2016 no issues- knock wood....

Same, got my set right at a year ago and they've been awesome with a ton of use switching between road and tri bike.
Quote Reply