Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Powertap......new stuff?? CRANK, PEDAL and HUB Based now! Prices announced.
Quote | Reply
http://www.powertap.com/...n-and-still-evolving

Looks like some changes ahead...... BIG things to come from a company that has been known for reliability and consistency.
Last edited by: ggeiger: Mar 16, 15 21:05
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap......new stuff?? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was intrigued so looked at the video slowly - looks crank/chain ring based with a pod type device[/img]

http://opensourcetriathlon.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap......new stuff?? [gizmo147] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumors are multiple options.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gizmo147 wrote:
Was intrigued so looked at the video slowly - looks crank/chain ring based with a pod type device[/img]

Good Catch!

Powertap with Crank Based units & end-user slope adjustment = WIN*

*If priced competitively

Quote Reply
Re: Powertap......new stuff?? CRANK Based added? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap......new stuff?? CRANK Based added? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or could be this?

Quote Reply
Re: Powertap......new stuff?? CRANK Based added? [theKAISER] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a powertap hub in that pic as well. Running multiple powermeters at the same time?
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap......new stuff?? [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamaican wrote:
gizmo147 wrote:

Good Catch!

*If priced competitively

There's a pod sticking up from the left pedal in that still shot. Unless that's a speed/cadence sensor attached to the chainstay.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap......new stuff?? CRANK Based added? [theKAISER] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
theKAISER wrote:
Or could be this?

Another good catch! Maybe 3 ways possible?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gizmo147 wrote:

Wasn't a prototype of this shown at interbike:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...lopment-company.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gizmo147 wrote:
to me it looks like the spider on the crank isn't being used. it looks to be a direct mount "power ring".
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap......new stuff?? [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:
Jamaican wrote:
gizmo147 wrote:

Good Catch!

*If priced competitively

There's a pod sticking up from the left pedal in that still shot. Unless that's a speed/cadence sensor attached to the chainstay.
That was my first thought too, but looking at the angle of the crank in relation to the pod I think it's just a speed cadence sensor.

Powertap / Cycleops / Saris
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap......new stuff?? [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That looks like a speed/cadence sensor to me.

One reason if they are in fact running multiple PM's to is to check how accurate/reliable it is to what ever PM's are on the bike.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like it might be a chainring power. Cool! Hopefully they're made out of melonited 4130 though O_O
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap......new stuff?? [ddimaline] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ddimaline wrote:
gizmo147 wrote:
to me it looks like the spider on the crank isn't being used. it looks to be a direct mount "power ring".

The patent link above states the following below, basically a self installed end user power meter on your own crank:

It is therefore an object of the invention to provide a crank set based power meter.

It is another object of the invention to provide a crank set based power meter than can be used with the existing crank set of a bicycle.

It is another object of the invention to provide a crank set based power meter than can be installed by a non-professional.

Various other features, objects and advantages of the invention will be made apparent from the following description taken together with the drawings.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap......new stuff?? [mcycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
based upon my reading of the patent, the pod you see is a speed/ cadence sensor, needed for the power calculation, torque x angular velocity/time. This is a very neat device and seems to cover many of the short falls of other devices, and probably comes close to an SRM or other crank based power meter. Since it is attached to the chain rings it will be able to determine left/ right balance as well based upon the knowledge of the cadence sensor location of the left pedal. If they can make it cheap enough this could be a game changer since it looks and is supposed to be easy to install on any crank system without throwing away or changing any current parts. Can't wait to see what they have in final form.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great link/article for those unfamiliar with the power tap history
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap......new stuff?? CRANK Based added? [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the research articles provided are from 2004, 05 & 07. just curious if there is any data vs SRM more current.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap......new stuff?? [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s5100e wrote:
Since it is attached to the chain rings it will be able to determine left/ right balance as well based upon the knowledge of the cadence sensor location of the left pedal.

That would be "pseudo-balance".
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap......new stuff?? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
s5100e wrote:
Since it is attached to the chain rings it will be able to determine left/ right balance as well based upon the knowledge of the cadence sensor location of the left pedal.

ain't it all ;-) when the force hits the chain ring if comes direct from the pedal through the crank arm and spindle, barring this bit of torsional flex in the crank arm and the spindle.. the sine wave of the force curve would relate to the left right balance would it not? Any how it would or could provide that data theoretically assuming they correct for this flex. Most accept the computrainer left/right balance that appears at the rear wheel? and assuming pedal sensors are duplicates of each other then they too could be psuedo left/ right balance as well? anyhow all in all this looks like a nice thing from power tap and I look forward to seeing what it looks like and costs and can do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
s5100e wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:
s5100e wrote:

ain't it all ;-)
No, it all ain't.

s5100e wrote:
when the force hits the chain ring if comes direct from the pedal through the crank arm and spindle, barring this bit of torsional flex in the crank arm and the spindle.. the sine wave of the force curve would relate to the left right balance would it not?
Relate yes, be accurate, no.

s5100e wrote:
Any how it would or could provide that data theoretically assuming they correct for this flex. Most accept the computrainer left/right balance that appears at the rear wheel?
I'll take that as a question and not as a statement. I don't think we know the answer to the question of what most think. I suspect most people don't realise what they are looking at. But left-right balance it is not.

s5100e wrote:
anyhow all in all this looks like a nice thing from power tap and I look forward to seeing what it looks like and costs and can do.
Me too, although I'm struggling to see what this brings to the already over crowded small table.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
s5100e wrote:
Most accept the computrainer left/right balance that appears at the rear wheel?

That, too, would be "pseudo-balance" (same for what the Quarq provides).

s5100e wrote:
assuming pedal sensors are duplicates of each other then they too could be psuedo left/ right balance as well?

Dual-sided power meters (e.g., Rotor, Garmin, Verve...and now PowerTap pedals?) enable determination of true left-right balance.

s5100e wrote:
anyhow all in all this looks like a nice thing from power tap and I look forward to seeing what it looks like and costs and can do.

Speaking of costs, balance, etc., I suspect that PowerTap's hierarchy will be:

1) hub-based power measurement, for those on a budget;

2) crank-based power measurement, for those who want to use their own wheels; and

3) pedal-based power measurement, for those interested in a deeper understanding of how they pedal (and/or are unwilling to replace their present wheels or crank for some reason...similarly, the crank-based product is an option for those who aren't, e.g., willing to give up their Speedplay pedals).
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Mar 8, 15 15:26
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap......new stuff?? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and your particular choice would be_________ based on _________?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
def waiting to see what they have!

the more player on the market the better we are :D

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap......new stuff?? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
and your particular choice would be_________ based on _________?

Thanks.

If I'm paying for it myself? Probably #2 (assuming, of course, it's as reliable, precise, and accurate as an SRM, but less expensive than #3).

OTOH, I'm always happy to use any powermeters that are loaned/given to me (well, as long as they can be used alongside a system I trust, at least until they prove themselves).
Quote Reply

Prev Next