Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Powermeter decisions BB86, BB30
Quote | Reply
My situation:
BB30 Road Bike - This is my "beater" aero road bike
BB86 Road Bike - This is my main bike

Want to get a powermeter and be able to use them across 2 bikes. I have a couple options via team deals/pro deals so assume that costs between the options will be the same.

Riding details: Mid-200s FTP racing road races and criteriums this year. I'm ~180 lbs sprinter-type. Not a particularly impressive W/kg but I do reasonably well in sprints.

Option 1)
2013 SRAM Red GXP Quarq Crank with Enduro/Wheels Adaptors BB30->GXP adaptor
I like this option the best so far but am somewhat concerned on whether or not I'll have to deal with creaking/squeaking. I also wonder if it'll be too much of pain to swap cranks - will I have to use any spacers other than the adaptors?

Option 2)
2013 SRAM Red BB30 Quarq Crank with ROTOR 4130 BB86 -> BB30 adaptor
It's my understanding that the Red BB30 Quarq has a 30mm diameter, extra long spindle - ie not true BB30. I understand ROTOR makes a BB86->BB30 adaptor but I haven't heard any information on it other than bearing life may be an issue because of the size of the bearings. Anyone successfully do this?

Option 3)
ENVE SES 6.7 Powertap wheelset
Easily able to swap across bikes and can swap out compact and standard cranks as I please. I would be using this set exclusively for training and racing and have some apprehension about running this full-time in the event of a crash (racing criteriums).

Option 4)
Alloy G3 wheelset and 65mm ENVE G3 wheelset
Gives me 2 powermeters with both a training and racing wheelset! Most expensive option but probably the most flexible.

So, would you rather go with one of the crank-based setups with adapters or go with a powertap(s) setup based on my situation?
Quote Reply
Re: Powermeter decisions BB86, BB30 [riotgear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One pain in the ass of option 3 is swapping race tires/training tires all the time, if you race often.

It is the cheapest option though!

Does ENVE have a good crash replacement price?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Powermeter decisions BB86, BB30 [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like they do a 50% off crash replacement deal to original owners. Wonder how this works if you buy the SES wheelset through Cycleops....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swapping tires, wheels, or cranks gets old after a while.

But 2 power meters of identical type.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did you end up doing the quarq with the 4130 by chance?

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is one of these a cervelo?
Quote Reply
Re: Powermeter decisions BB86, BB30 [andy515] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ended up getting GXP as I figured I could install it on anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Powermeter decisions BB86, BB30 [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah, Blue AC1SL was the BB30 bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am also considering using my BB30 QUARQ Sram Red 22 Power meter in a BB86 frame, using the special Rotor or Enduro bottom brackets. Has anyone had success with this yet? Were spacers required?
Quote Reply
Re: Powermeter decisions BB86, BB30 [titemple652] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
titemple652 wrote:
I am also considering using my BB30 QUARQ Sram Red 22 Power meter in a BB86 frame, using the special Rotor or Enduro bottom brackets. Has anyone had success with this yet? Were spacers required?

I had good success installing my Rotor 3d+ on my bb86 fram with the Rotor 4130 bottom bracket. Just make sure your crank has a long enough spindle, most bb30 cranks are too short to install on a bb86 bike
Quote Reply
Re: Powermeter decisions BB86, BB30 [ATB24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Sram Red 22 Quarq has an extra long spindle just like the Rotor 3D+ so it will work. A regular BB30 crankset would not. Good to know! How long have you been using this set up, are the bearings holding their own? Also did you require spacers?

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only a week :)
So cannot speak of long term durability yet. I had my mechanic install, but I don't believe any spacers were used, I see my cranks basically flush against the bottom bracket of the bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok this is great. Although the quarq will likely need a 5mm spacer for chainline adjustment and to allow for the magnet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you mind snapping a couple pics? avro201@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure, I will send you some in the AM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ended up running my Quarq Elsa with the 4130 too. Been running it for about a month now and it works. I have 5 of the 0.5mm spacers on the NDS and 1 of the 0.5mm spacers and the wave washer on the DS.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have any more feedback on using your Elsa with the 4130 BB and a BB86 frame? I am about to find myself in the exact same situation as the OP. Looks like you got it working but I am curious about longevity.
Quote Reply
Re: Powermeter decisions BB86, BB30 [JesseN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It worked well with the 4130. I ran in all year and its still smooth. It is a tight fit so getting the crank on takes some patience. It was a little trial and error to get the chainline right. What bike are you going to run it? My bb86 is a plasma so I ended up with 5 0.5mm spacers on the non-drive side and 1 0.5mm spacer and the wave washer on the drive side. Just remember to take all the quarq spacers and pre load adjusters off.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Propel. I use it on a Blue AC1 right now and have the Rotor BSA 30's on all my other bikes so 1 crank = all bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Powermeter decisions BB86, BB30 [JesseN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool. It definitely works and no issues with the bearings. Only downside is it is a pain to get the crank off my scott with it- takes a few swings of the rubber mallet

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try this. Take one of those compressed air cans for blowing dust off. Shake and hold upside down while spraying inside the hollow part of the crank axle. The propellant will be super cold and will chill the shaft and shrink it enough so that you can slide it out without banging with a mallet. Saves the bearings.
Quote Reply