Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power with Trainerroad
Quote | Reply
I have been using trainerroad with the Wahoo Kickr. Pretty new to this. After my workouts, when I look back at my interval data, my power for the interval is always lower than the target power. Since the resistance is controlled by trainerroad to maintain the correct power, shouldn't these numbers be pretty close? While I'm doing the intervals it appears that I'm maintaining the right power. Anyone else see this?
Quote Reply
Re: Power with Trainerroad [mchadcota2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long of intervals?

There is a small lag on it catching up to a power change. Maybe 3-4 seconds. So for a 10 minute interval, 9 min 56 seconds at the right power is enough to make the power 99% accurate. On a 10 second interval, you end up only like 50% accurate.

Basically, intervals < 10 seconds kind of suck with the TR / Kickr combo. You can help it a little if you peddle turbo fast when the interval starts, but still not perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: Power with Trainerroad [TunaBoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok great. The intervals today were 1 minute. Target was like 322. Power was around 305-310 most of the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So like its sitting at 305 for an entire minute straight with a goal of 322?

That seems odd. If I am below power for more than 1-2 seconds resistance starts increasing until I meet my power goal.
Last edited by: TunaBoo: Mar 26, 15 8:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No when I'm doing the intervals it looks like it stays in the right range. But when I look back at the interval data the power is almost always below the target. Sometimes significantly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do the graphs look like?

In mine, you can clearly see a lag in the first few seconds of a power increase.. then it evens out

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I looked at my graphs and each interval looks like it is right on target. In fact there's not a single point where the power drops below 310. Almost all slightly above or below 322. But somehow the power for the intervals reads about 309-315.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is actually just the nature of the Kickr, especially when you're doing short, high-intensity efforts. The reason being is the Kickr has a short yet significant "ramp" going in to and out of each interval. It's small, but it's just enough to take your average for the interval down a bit despite being right on your target through the bulk of the interval.

Professional Mountain Biker and Community Manager at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply
Re: Power with Trainerroad [Trevor DeRuise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot Trevor!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the PowerBeam, I have actually had success with the short intervals just staying in slope mode.
For longer intervals, erg mode is fine, but the transition time is annoying for 1-2 minute intervals.
(yeah, no a Kickr, but same general idea)

Cheers,
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did another trainerroad workout today with 20 min tempo intervals, broken down into 5 min sections with different target power, and the average power was right on. So like ya'll said, its just the short intervals that have the lag that makes the average a little lower. I feel better about that. Thanks.
Quote Reply