Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power tap p1 advanced metrics
Quote | Reply
Is it only the garmin 800/810/1000 that show these?
What do they actually show?

Anyone know if there is any software that shows this stuff via ant plus with the pedals?
Quote Reply
Re: Power tap p1 advanced metrics [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As per DC Rainmaker's site:

"You won’t however get any Garmin Cycling Dynamics – since Garmin locks that down to just themselves. Additionally, PowerTap has stated that they’re looking to move slowly into more advanced metrics – taking a bit of a ‘wait and see’ approach to what individuals and research entities might find useful."

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Power tap p1 advanced metrics [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My garmin fenix3 collects Torque effectiveness and Pedal Smoothness from my powertap p1. Are there other metrics?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin 510 collects them and they are available to view in Garmin Connect/WKO4. At present, however, the GPA/GPR function is doing some weird stuff and providing some very strange numbers! The Torque effectiveness and Pedal smoothness however are both there to view in Garmin Connect.
Quote Reply
Re: Power tap p1 advanced metrics [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Edge 810 collects them. You need the latest firmware on the P1 pedals. As per another thread I started a few days ago on ST, there apparently is no value in TE/PS metrics anyway.

rmt wrote:
Garmin 510 collects them and they are available to view in Garmin Connect/WKO4. At present, however, the GPA/GPR function is doing some weird stuff and providing some very strange numbers! The Torque effectiveness and Pedal smoothness however are both there to view in Garmin Connect.
Quote Reply
Re: Power tap p1 advanced metrics [moneyball] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great, I'll give the garmin 810 a look.

Anyone know if it can be linked with a computer via ant plus?

What I am really interested in is if they develop an application of force graph or similar graphic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rmt wrote:
Garmin 510 collects them and they are available to view in Garmin Connect/WKO4. At present, however, the GPA/GPR function is doing some weird stuff and providing some very strange numbers!

Can you explain what you mean? GPA, GPR, KI, and MEPF are built-in functions, so either your build of the program is somehow munged, or the raw data aren't correct.

EDIT: Upon review, I bet I know what's going on. You're looking at the mean maximal GPR and GPA chart that Hunter created. The problem with that way of analyzing the data is that outliers generated by your powermeter will skew the curve (lots of funky stuff tends to happen at short durations, especially with dual-sided systems).

Instead, I'd recommend that you use a line chart (i.e., GPR, etc., plotted against time) or the Zorro chart to analyze your pedaling. That way the occasional bogus value will be immediately evident, and you can either mentally ignore such points, or rescale the axes (Y or X - yes, you can do that in WKO4) to exclude them and focus on the valid data.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: May 2, 16 5:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:
Great, I'll give the garmin 810 a look.

Anyone know if it can be linked with a computer via ant plus?

What I am really interested in is if they develop an application of force graph or similar graphic.

From the sounds of it, what you really need is an ANT+ USB dongle, and a program that will use it to display your powermeter data in real time. There are a number of such programs out there (e.g., PeriPedal), but I don't know if any of them will plot the Garmin pedaling metrics. (The standard ANT+ protocol doesn't include the raw torque data sampled at high frequency, so you won't be able to see your pattern of force application - for that you'd need something like the old wired SRM with the torque analysis option, or the newer Pioneer.)
Quote Reply
Re: Power tap p1 advanced metrics [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Andrew.
I have the ant dongle and will look at that software.

In regards to a head unit or a way of displaying what the p1 is reading what would you get?
Quote Reply
Re: Power tap p1 advanced metrics [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your edit is exactly what is going on. I had been looking at the Zorro chart and, as you suggested, the axis are way out of scale, due to a number of values such as GPA 5000w, GPR 5100w. I hadn't thought to re-scale the chart but will try that tonight. Thank you for your input.
Last edited by: rmt: May 2, 16 20:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rmt wrote:
Your edit is exactly what is going on. I had been looking at the Zorro chart and, as you suggested, the axis are way out of scale, due to a number of values such as GPA 5000w, GPR 5100w. I hadn't thought to re-scale the chart but will try that tonight. Thank you for your input.

You're welcome! Really, though, credit should go to this man:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_H._Lowry

whose book A Flexible System of Enzymatic Analysis really drove home to me the value of carefully analyzing data via scatter plots.
Quote Reply