Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Power meter shopping....overwhelmed
Quote | Reply
Sorry if this question has been kicked around a thousand times but I need help selecting a power meter. I'm lost

I've never had or trained with one. Just getting back into the sport and have a few races lined up next year and would like go ahead and invest in one to help with training.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter shopping....overwhelmed [Backatit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too am looking, and I will jump in and give the usual reply I've seen when trying to dig up information on this. Start with reading DCRainmakers articles, probably this one:
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/09/buyers-guide2014-edition.html

I think everyone expects a bunch of new products to hit the market by next Spring as well. I just posted a question hoping I can get some assistance in simply narrowing down the field to a particular type of power meter (pedal vs crank vs hub etc).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep holding out for the 'state of the powermeter' by DC Rainmaker, but something new keeps coming out and ruining things, it seems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...ide2014-edition.html

It may not let you know which one to buy but may rule some out. I expect he'll post a 2015 buyers guide in the near future covering all of the new PowerTap offerings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Powertap wheel. And a wheel cover for racing. Cheapest option for a disc wheel for racing, and a good wheel for training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool question, not very specific though so ball is back in your court

What frame do you ride (a Specialized or Cervelo may limit your options based on BB standard)?
How accurate do you want to be (1-sided, 2-sided, 2-sided independent measurements)?
Other how accurate (~1% SRM, ~a couple percent Quarq, ~a couple more percent something else)?
Measurement location preference (pedal, crank, wheel)?
What do you want to spend?

Or... I'll tell you to just buy a Quarq like I (and a lot of other people) did
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While we're on the subject, when on earth are they going to start selling the Powertap C1 chain rings. The website has been saying "coming this summer" and summer is almost over.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter shopping....overwhelmed [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it is fair to say it's damn near impossible for them to launch two new PMs in the same time frame. The schedule was probably made by the marketing dept.

At any rate it's usually not the best idea to be an earlier adopter of any PM. If you want something now I'd suggest the hub or get a P2M.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a PowerTap wheel and have been very happy with it. But, if I were getting into power now, there'd be no question I'd be getting the PowerTap pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a vector s from my lbs for a great deal and it does a pretty good job but i think i would get a p2m, quarq, or one of the new powertap like the chainrings or wheel if i did it again but i love my vector s
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter shopping....overwhelmed [Shinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shinny wrote:
Cool question, not very specific though so ball is back in your court

What frame do you ride (a Specialized or Cervelo may limit your options based on BB standard)?
How accurate do you want to be (1-sided, 2-sided, 2-sided independent measurements)?
Other how accurate (~1% SRM, ~a couple percent Quarq, ~a couple more percent something else)?
Measurement location preference (pedal, crank, wheel)?
What do you want to spend?

Or... I'll tell you to just buy a Quarq like I (and a lot of other people) did
I Ride a Felt B12, Probably would rather have 2 sided, crank or pedal as accurate as $1000-$1500 can get me.

Although I'm just getting started back after 5 years off, I've done 3 70.3's in the past all of which I over did the bike and suffered on the run, looking for something to help keep me in check.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got with a Power2Max. All in for 800 bucks, now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should add that although I don't mind spending $1000-$1500, I'm all for spending less if there is a good product below this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for power2max.
Have had mine for about 10 months now, has worked perfect, good price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Backatit wrote:
I should add that although I don't mind spending $1000-$1500, I'm all for spending less if there is a good product below this.

PMs that I almost never see complaints about:
SRM
Powertap Wheelhub
Quarq

PMs I don't know enough about:
Power2max
Powertap pedals

PMs I've heard whining about:
Stages (one-sided-only, connection issues)
Vector (difficult to calibrate and install reliably to ensure accuracy)

The PT hub is really a fantastic device. It's self-calibrating, lower-cost, seemingly accurate and consistent and gives you power, speed, and cadence without extra sensors. If you're ok with being locked to a single wheel for both training and racing, I'd go with that. Or, since you can almost always get them used for $500 or less, I'd get two and have one wheel for training, one wheel for racing.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter shopping....overwhelmed [AHare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you (almost) never see complaints about PowerTap and Quarq then you're not looking hard enough.
Last edited by: rijndael: Aug 29, 15 4:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power2Max is what you want. They just dropped their prices, they are a proven tech, and you can get their best setup for under $1k. They have options for basically every bottom bracket out there. Get the Praxis chain rings too, they are giving a good discount on them and they are outstanding chain rings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On four of my wife's and I bikes we have a stages, powertap, vector 2s and a quarq. We got each one for a different bike and for different reasons- here is my attempt to review each:

-quarq Elsa on my TT bike. This was a new build so I needed a crank anyway so ended up picking up a new one for something like 1,500. It has been pretty solid with no issues. Once they came out with the upgrade for no more magnets it has been super easier to install and set-up. Pretty much just put it one like a normal crank and forget about it. I have only had a few times where its dropped a signal but very minor.

-powertap- this was on my road bike and was built into some HED belgiums that were my everyday training and racing wheels. Easier powermeter out there and never had any signal drops, issues, etc. Only downside is it weighs your back wheel down about 130 grams more if you care about that and limits you to only those wheels.

-stages- this is on my wife's TT bike as her bike came as a full build sI just adding a new left crank arm for 600 was the best option. It has had some signal drop issues and other minor things here and there but serves her week as she is only using it as baseline. Super easier to install and easy to swap across bikes if that matters.

-Garmin vector 2s- just got this one in place of my powertap as I got new wheels for the road bike. Easier to install but a little more finicky on getting it right ie the torque needs to be perfect. Really light and picked one up for only 675 on biketiresdirect during a sale. So far so signal issues, is light and is pretty versatile as I can keep the crank I like and rotate wheels.

Hope that helps

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used powertaps for years and they are fine, though my recent G3 has been sent in for recalibration twice in the past 10 months.

Got a power2max a few weeks ago and it is great so far. With the price drop, I highly recommend it.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter shopping....overwhelmed [AHare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the one you don't mention that so many insiders scratch their heads and wonder why it's not the top selling power meter is the one by pioneer.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've bought a P2M and PT wheel set (which are Reynolds OEM wheels I think)

I bought the P2M because relatively speaking it was cheap - easily transferrable between bike.

I bought the PT wheels because I wanted a set of race wheels and they were relatively speaking cheap, I'd have needed to buy race wheels anyway so the PT allowed me to not have to switch the crank meter between bikes - the wheels are not the be all and end all aero wise but I'm not much of a race either so we're a good match

never had any issues with either - P2M is used 4-5 times / week on the trainer and seems to work as described - I'm not sure that I could justify spending twice as much for a device providing essentially the same data, and I also felt its a bit like camera's, if you're always waiting for the new sony sensor in a Nikon you'll simply never buy one - something new and "better, faster, bigger, cheaper" is always around the corner but these products both seem to work as described out of the box so I'm pleased with them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To get started:

First, determine what type of powermeter best fulfills your need (hub, crank, pedal, etc). Only you can answer this.

Second, you start to weight what will fit your setup, perform best, and be most cost-effective.

Not very specific, but this is what I did. For example, I like having wheel flexibility, so I went with a crank based powermeter (I already knew I didn't want a pedal option because I really like my speedplay). Second, I have two bikes with different BB standards, but didn't want to change cranks since I ride both throughout the week. I went with power2max (one classic, one type S) as they had recent price drops and had very solid reviews. I've been very pleased with the units so far. But do note that things could have gone differently if I had different setups (as Dan mentioned pioneer powermeter is a very good option if you're running Shimano cranks).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Powertap. As SRM is really out of the world price wise, and I hear software is cumbersome, I think Powertap brings the best pedigree to the market. I have had 4 wheel sets and they have all performed amazingly well and without fail. I would go with a carbon wheel set, as it is so durable now, and put a wheel cover for races. Another benefit is no more swapping out brake pads. I am fortunate enough to have training and racing setups, but I think for the money the power tap branded (I believe Reynolds made) G3 setup is a real winner. Immediate recognition by many head units, durability and resale show that it's a great value. If ever needed, customer service is supreme.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter shopping....overwhelmed [albertsonrm1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only bike I have at this time is the felt, I sold the other road bike I had during my time away from the sport a couple of years ago. I don't think I'll be buying a new bike anytime soon and don't need to swap out wheels between bikes so a crank PM sounds like it might be what I'm looking for. Power2max seems to be getting a lot of support on here.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter shopping....overwhelmed [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next