Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Power meter compatibility
Quote | Reply
Anyone with any knowledge adding a power meter to a Vision TriMax Carbon crankset? I'm not sure if a quarq spider or SRM can be added to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter compatibility [mpd309] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dunno why people both going through all the hassle of crank based power meters. Just get pedals. The best ones available right now are the favero assioma.power pedals. They're $799USD a pair
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter compatibility [MJI16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJI16 wrote:
I dunno why people both going through all the hassle of crank based power meters. Just get pedals. The best ones available right now are the favero assioma.power pedals. They're $799USD a pair

Some of us really like our Speedplays.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MJI16 wrote:
Best on what basis?

What power meter(s) is(are) the best choice will vary depending on the individual's circumstances.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter compatibility [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now thats the only exception I can think of
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter compatibility [AlexS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
- Price
- L/R measurement, or go single sided for an even better price
- Accuracy with the P1, Vector 3 and Favero Assioma is on par with any other power meter
- They're super versatile

The only exception is noted above. Like you said it's all personal preference, but still, I cant think of a reason why they wouldn't be anyones first choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MJI16 wrote:
- Price
- L/R measurement, or go single sided for an even better price
- Accuracy with the P1, Vector 3 and Favero Assioma is on par with any other power meter
- They're super versatile

The only exception is noted above. Like you said it's all personal preference, but still, I cant think of a reason why they wouldn't be anyones first choice.
Power meter accuracy and performance for most of these products has not been reliably nor robustly tested as far as I can tell.

Power meter longevity and performance reliability is measured over years. For a product barely out of nappies it's way too early to tell on that front.

Quote Reply
Re: Power meter compatibility [AlexS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DCR always does side by side comparison tests with the pedals, smart trainer, hub and crank and they always line up.

So when you make the longevity argument, do you only buy power meters that have been out for 5+ years to ensure theyll last you the same amount of time? Power pedals have been out for ages now with no problems so far
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MJI16 wrote:
DCR always does side by side comparison tests with the pedals, smart trainer, hub and crank and they always line up.

So when you make the longevity argument, do you only buy power meters that have been out for 5+ years to ensure theyll last you the same amount of time? Power pedals have been out for ages now with no problems so far

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter compatibility [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alright ya got me. Vector 1s were pretty crappy. But the P1, V2, V3 and F.A. have had no more issues then the other power meters
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MJI16 wrote:
Alright ya got me. Vector 1s were pretty crappy. But the P1, V2, V3 and F.A. have had no more issues then the other power meters

You must not have heard about the great number of cyclists who returned their P1s multiple times for premature bearing wear then, eh?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats the best you can come up with? Bearing wear? You wouldnt even factor that into longevity. Even so, that bearing would have been superseded and discontinued after the first wave of problems came up. The same problem wont happen with current P1s sold unless theyre really old stock.

My point of view comes from if this guy buys this thing today, what is he gonna get. No point whinging about a problem that happened 3 years ago.
Last edited by: MJI16: Nov 7, 17 4:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Price: Power2max NG eco: $490, Favero: $799
Cleat Compatibility: My current 'adventure bike' build will be used for road, offroad, and touring and will have spd pedals. The crank spider is also a much more protected location from rock strikes and other damage.
Battery life: Favero: 50 hrs, Power2max NG Eco: 400 hrs. For touring with the Favero anything longer than ~5 days would need to bring the charger. The power2max easily makes it a month and is a quick coin cell swap to replace.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter compatibility [cobra_kai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1.) You used the F.A. Duo price, to compare to the single sided power2max. The Uno is only $450USD, which is a fairer comparison.

2.) Are they compatible with his cranks? If not, how about you factor in a set of SRAM cranks, of the equivalent spec as his current set up, into the $499 price point. Sorry but there goes your price argument.

3.) Does it look like this guy is doing adventure riding, or riding for more then 5 days? If you answered no, then durability against rocks and battery life is not a factor. Compatibility is this guy's problem, as outlined in the actual title of this thread. F As are waterproof.

I feel like I'm carrying on a bit too much about these power pedals. I'm just lending this guy a suggestion and I've had all these people argue it.

OP, pick what you like. I personally would go with the options I stated, most favourably the Favero Assioma.

Everyone else, stop throwing piss poor arguments at me. I'm just giving the guy a few options
Last edited by: MJI16: Nov 7, 17 4:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I realize it is off topic for the OP but I was simply responding to your post as to the reasons for not choosing power pedals. Additionally, if you don't understand that crank power meters measure total power and not just one sided than perhaps you shouldn't be giving recommendations on what other people should use.

@ OP, the only power meter I see that is compatible with your cranks is a left only stages on the non drive arm which is not something I would recommend but is probably the easiest and least expensive option. If you are set on keeping those cranks then I agree with MJI16 and pedals are probably your best option. If you are ok changing cranks then there are many more possibilities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MJI16 wrote:
1.) You used the F.A. Duo price, to compare to the single sided power2max. The Uno is only $450USD, which is a fairer comparison.

Now you're just showing your silliness. The power2max measures total power from both crank arms unlike the Uno which just measures one side and doubles that value as a WAG of the total power. I can't find anyone who has demonstrated the usefulness of measuring each side with precision.

Hugh

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow you're really carrying this out aren't you? You're worse than my missus

Ok maybe I should have said "it doesn't demonstrate precise L/R balance." But what I am getting at is: I think having a single sided power meter and a combined power meter is one in the same thing. Why? because if you do not buy a dual sided power meter, then you are not bothered about having a left or right balance reading, meaning you think your pedal stroke is perfectly balanced which goes on to conclude that you will get the same power numbers as having a combined power meter and a single sided power meter.

Bottom line: If you think there is no need to measure both sides precisely, then using the UNO should deliver the same result as a combined power found on the power2max? Making them comparable?

I know for a fact that as a football player, I have one leg stronger then the other. That strong side does give me hip pain, leading me to believe I over compensate with that leg. I'm not the only one is this situation.

What better power meter can you suggest?
I really hope it is compatible with this guys cranks, has never had problems with factory defects, priced right, and is somewhat accurate.
Last edited by: MJI16: Nov 7, 17 7:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MJI16 wrote:

Bottom line: If you think there is no need to measure both sides precisely, then using the UNO should deliver the same result as a combined power found on the power2max? Making them comparable?

I don't know why I'm joining in on this but anyway...

I'm quite certain that your bottom line isn't what Hugh is saying at all. What he's saying is that you don't need to know the independent measurements for each leg but you DO need to know the total combined power. So if your total power is 250w but balanced as 55/45 (so 138w left, 112w right according to your pedals) then the UNO will incorrectly report 276w. The power2max will properly report 250w. Hugh's point is that the 55/45 data point is irrelevant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My crank based power meter (quarq) gives me a percentage split for left/right crank, wouldn't this be the same as having a dual pedal power meter?
Here is a snipe from the information I get from it:

Last edited by: Art M.: Nov 7, 17 10:42
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter compatibility [Art M.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Art M. wrote:
My crank based power meter (quarq) gives me a percentage split for left/right crank, wouldn't this be the same as having a dual pedal power meter?

So does my Power2max but it's a "pseudo balance" in that it assumes 100% of power comes from the downstroke (I think that's how it works). It's probably pretty close but likely not as good as the pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
Art M. wrote:

So does my Power2max but it's a "pseudo balance" in that it assumes 100% of power comes from the downstroke (I think that's how it works). It's probably pretty close but likely not as good as the pedals.

One other thing to note about power split from pedals is that even if they show a 50/50 split that information still doesn't prove any sort of symmetry in that power's production. We all differ in the timing and amount we unweight the rising foot and our timing and amount of the application of downward force. So seeing a 50/50 split might give a false sense of "I'm balance" when in reality one may be far from.

YMMV

Hugh

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MJI16 wrote:
That's not what I call reliable, robust testing. It's helpful data and it's great DCR does these single comparisons but it's not of the standard to make wholesale claims about a product's reliability, performance and robustness, except of course if the single unit fails miserably, then you have an n=1 bad apple.

MJI16 wrote:
So when you make the longevity argument, do you only buy power meters that have been out for 5+ years to ensure theyll last you the same amount of time?
I haven't needed to buy a power meter for nearly a decade. The ones I have all still work perfectly, are all still supported and serviceable by the manufacturer and I can validate their performance using first principle physics and alignment with well established physiological principles (e.g. maximal force-velocity analysis).

But yes, is it not reasonable for such products that they demonstrate their performance in the field for a few years as a way to validate their longevity?

Or for the company to still be around to support it?

Or indeed for the model to still be backed up and serviced after a few years rather than be deemed obsolete?

MJI16 wrote:
Power pedals have been out for ages now with no problems so far
Are you sure about that?

My main point is no single product is best. The one you like might be best for some but they won't be best for everyone's needs or circumstances.

Quote Reply
Re: Power meter compatibility [Art M.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Art M. wrote:

Dual-sided measurement from the crank is not as accurate as a double measurement. That said, I think it's one of the most useless metrics out there unless you are coming back from an injury or something.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MJI16 wrote:
But what I am getting at is: I think having a single sided power meter and a combined power meter is one in the same thing. Why? because if you do not buy a dual sided power meter, then you are not bothered about having a left or right balance reading, meaning you think your pedal stroke is perfectly balanced which goes on to conclude that you will get the same power numbers as having a combined power meter and a single sided power meter.

Given the polysyllogism in your statement I think you should perhaps refrain from commenting on power meters until you understand them and the data they provide.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah but if i had a 45/55 power split where the right is putting out 10% more, i would eant to know about it
Quote Reply

Prev Next