Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Power investment
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for power meter investment thoughts - I'm a big DCrainmaker fan so I'm aware of the
options. I like to buy once, pick and company, and stick with it.

Set up:

Road bike: 105 11 speed, specialized OSBB

Tribike: DA 10 speed, BSA68 (cervelo p1 - it was called P2SL when I picked it up)

Race wheels: HED jet60 10 speed. (these get used fairly often even when not "racing")

Power options I'm thinking about:

Quarq GXP + two new BBs (I'd get the praxis ones) to covert both bikes to GXP. I'd also
send the HED rear for 11 speed conversion. This will cost more in the short term, but I can still use my nice wheels on either bike with power.

PT: If I didn't have the Jets I would get a PT and wheel cover without question. I could
get power from either bike, but my HED jet60 rear wheel would likely never be used again.
I would be tempted to then save for a jet90 PT I expect. More expensive in the long run.

I like to buy "once" so to speak and keep my equipment for a long time. I mostly ride my road bike these days. I am turning into one of those "hidden" triathletes that only does a race once a year or so, but
I've been doing this sport long enough to know I'm in it for the long term. What do people think is the best
investment to maximize the equipment I've already spent money on? Anyone have issues with the OSBB to GXP conversion BB? Or Quarq on a Roubaix?
Quote Reply
Re: Power investment [MadisonGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I vote Jet 9 PT rear. I have a Jet 6/9 PT setup with wheel cover on my P3. I prefer using the same wheels everyday and only put the disc cover on for a race. Also prefer the look over training wheels. Crank power is better if you plan on switching wheels

Here is my P3:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8376/8549112295_5583643d2f_z.jpg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to be too technical, but unless you plan to make some money off your bike split, this is not an investment.

In fact, if this equipment "helps" it is likely to be an "anti-investment." Your bike split improves- you qualify for more remote, more expensive races- you "invest" in even more expensive equipmement.
It is like a wealth destroying death ray.

Fortunately, most equipment does not work that well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin Vector?
Quote Reply
Re: Power investment [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the true meaning of the word you are correct. I could buy something that will earn me money. Sports equipment does not earn me money. But I still see it as an investment - the pay off is just not monetary - it is enjoyment. I like looking at graphs and improving - that is worth money to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Power investment [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd do this if they sold it in a shimano form
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a Quarq, sell the road frame with the janky pressfit BB, buy one with a BSA BB.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both power meters will work just fine. The reason I like my quarq over my PT is it gives me more rear wheel options for racing as well as allowing me to keep my race wheels race ready. No need to swap tires or tubes for the rear wheel when moving from training to racing. Those are just minor issues though. The quarq does have a minor issue in that it takes a tool and a few minutes to swap between bikes, but I'll take that any day over swapping tires, tubes, and disc covers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Faced with this same situation, I went the other direction--BB30 power meter with a BSA30 bottom bracket for my threaded frame. It's worked out great, and it's as future-proof as you can get. The crank will work on any frame, and you won't be using any adapters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm biased towards Powertap, and would lean that way for sure. If you are in Madison, they're right here to stop in for advice or issues. I'd be a bit patient and try, compare and see what comes up in the coming months. The power business has been really changing and I have a feeling that something new could break soon....
Quote Reply
Re: Power investment [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
I'm biased towards Powertap, and would lean that way for sure. If you are in Madison, they're right here to stop in for advice or issues. I'd be a bit patient and try, compare and see what comes up in the coming months. The power business has been really changing and I have a feeling that something new could break soon....

No offense, but I've been hearing that for 15 years now. Every time someone waits for "something to come along", they just end up getting mad... There are plenty of good options out there right now. Making an accurate, precise and reliable power meter isn't cheap, and I don't see waiting a few months really changing anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Power investment [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure what you're saying......you mean the last 15 years haven't meant any progress????? The last year alone has yielded crazy action that has brought power meters down to anyone's level as far as cost and accuracy. I just think the competition and new developments have really caused incredible growth by each pushing the others. I feel some interesting new things are about to pop....just IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
Not sure what you're saying......you mean the last 15 years haven't meant any progress????? The last year alone has yielded crazy action that has brought power meters down to anyone's level as far as cost and accuracy. I just think the competition and new developments have really caused incredible growth by each pushing the others. I feel some interesting new things are about to pop....just IMO.

Stages and power2max did do a good job of pushing powertap prices down a bit. So there is that.

There isn't much anything new on the market that makes for a substantively better powermeter...maybe active temp compensation on the quarqs? Is that working out well?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
invest in a SRM, you will not be disappointed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This new deal from Powertap is awesome:

Fact: Our G3 Hub alone retails at $789. For $10 more you can get a set of sturdy, power-infused alloy wheels. At that price, we're practically giving these hoops away. http://www.powertap.com/...ertap-alloy-wheelset

Power has gotten so much more affordable, and bulletproof. But like I said, I think new things are on the verge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Prices are coming down, but I wouldn't say at a fast enough rate where it's worth it to keep waiting. Power meters do not bring instantaneous gains. It takes time to develop unlike other things we spend money on such as fast tires, latex tubes, race wheels, skin suits, or aero helmets which are effective right out of the box.

If you offered me a FREE power meter 2 years from now, with the stipulation that I couldn't use a power meter until then...I'd turn that offer down.
Quote Reply
Re: Power investment [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, I completely agree about getting one soon. I did not mean to infer 2 years....just a few months. There are many indoor tools right now to do the power work indoors, from TrainerRoad, indoor training centers to CycleOps Virtual training, so one can get the training in. For me the real massive gain is racing long distance with one. Courses like IMWI are broken down much more easily with the feedback from the PM. The competition has really brought down the investment, and I believe that will continue. It's a great time to be in the market for power.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
There hasn't been much improvement in accuracy over the past decade. Indeed the trend has been to sacrifice accuracy for less important "features".
Quote Reply
Re: Power investment [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't know you could do that - this seems like the best solution!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in Madison now, and have been for years, but I am moving to Nashville on Monday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:

Sure, there's been "progress". There are more options available and all--but 15 years ago it cost about $700.00 to get an accurate, reliable power meter: http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/...002/reviews/powertap

That hasn't really changed all that much. Yes, the power meters are now wireless and there are other features, but the retail pricing on the least expensive power meter that is accurate, precise and reliable is about $800. That's about the same as it was 15 years ago. Meanwhile, during that entire time I keep hearing how the next big thing is right around the corner and is going to dramatically change pricing... I'm also seen countless people on the interwebs talk about how they're going to wait, only to end up frustrated.

Yes, there have been price changes among products during that 15 years and some recent gradual downward pressure, but frankly nothing has been all that dramatic--despite the fact that this has been promised literally dozens of times. So really, if one is in the market for power, I don't see much advantage in holding off and waiting for the next big thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Madisonguy
FWIW - since Quarq is on your list Competitive Cyclist (Backcountry.com is the same) has a decent price on Quarq at the moment, but their selection is running out so they may not have the crank length or BB version that you want. I have a Quarq Cinqo on my TT bike and it has served me well and should be getting Quarq Elsa GXP 110BCD today that I ordered from Competitive Cyclist on Wednesday (2nd day shipping free). They also have a pretty good return policy as well.

I would have easily picked the P2Max, but in this case the sale price put the Elsa a little cheaper for me. I like the battery cover being on the front and can be changed quickly during a ride if needed. The only Quarq that has temperature compensation is the Quarq RS from what I can tell and it was out of what I wanted to spend at this moment. With my Cinqo the bike is exposed while driving to my training courses and if the day heats up I will either rezero the head unit while stopped at a traffic stop or use the back pedal method. I usually don't too hung up on the temperature drift.
Quote Reply
Re: Power investment [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First of all a power meter is not an investment. Go look at the folks selling SRMs at 30% of what they paid on ebay. It's an expensive toy that will help you ride faster.

Now that you are cool with that, I would recommend getting a sram riken or red quarq and running gxp bottom brackets (preferably threaded). The combo is pretty much bombproof, realtively inexpensive, and child's play to swap out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swapping cassettes is a pain in the ass so I wouldn't go the rear hub option. I did and now I'm converting my 10sp road bike into a 11 speed so I can easily interchange the Powertap wheel between bikes. If I were to do it again I'd get a Stages because it's a simple swap unless you like to complicate things like me. my bikes don't have the same crank arm length which is why this option is out to pasture for me. I also wouldn't buy a fancy new bike and then take the advantages a BB30 spindle gives you and convert them to GXP. 24mm vs 30mm is a marginal gain for power transfer IMO.

If I had to do it all again I'd go Vector S and switch my spare pedals to Look Keo's rather than the Dura-ace ones I have on both bikes now.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might take my rear hed 60 and have a PT hub built into it then get a disc cover. You'd be in for <$1k and have training and racing covered.

Or you could sell your 60 and buy a 60 with it already built in

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply

Prev Next