Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power Options Advice
Quote | Reply
I bought the Power Tap alum. training wheels 2 years ago. It was my cheapest option to try training with Power. For my IM last year, I rented 808 PT so I could race with power. I am hooked with the power numbers!

I don't own any race wheels. My Tri Bike is BB30 11spd compact and my road bike BB90 10 spd compact. I don't road race only tri. I currently swap the PT wheels around depending on the season which is a slight pain as you have to change the cassette.

I would like to get some race wheels. I want to continue to ride with power. I don't want to spend a fortune. Should I get a crank based meter and race wheels? PT race wheels? Can I only use a BB30 crank (adapters?). I see a lot of GXP Quarq for sale. Any thoughts/advise would be appreciated.

thanks.

Todd
Quote Reply
Re: Power Options Advice [theviens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super easy solution.

Buy another Powertap freehub body and install the other cassette on it. They cost around $55. That makes swapping the cassette ridiculously easy. Just pop one free hub body (with cassette still locked on) off and the other one on. Probably faster than actual time taking the wheel off one bike and putting it on another.

For race wheels, just buy a disc cover for your existing PT wheel. Cost you around $100 and be relatively close to the fastest rear wheel you can buy out there.

$150...all your problems solved.

Edit: you probably still want a front race wheel. You can spend as much or as little as you want on that, but it doesn't have to be part of the decision as far as power options.
Last edited by: Jason N: Mar 5, 15 18:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Quarq ELSA RS BB30 and I love it. It uses Shimano Dura Ace chainrings and looks amazing. https://www.quarq.com/store/item/1740/

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Mar 5, 15 18:36
Quote Reply
Re: Power Options Advice [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
Super easy solution.

Buy another Powertap freehub body and install the other cassette on it. They cost around $55. That makes swapping the cassette ridiculously easy. Just pop one free hub body (with cassette still locked on) off and the other one on. Probably faster than actual time taking the wheel off one bike and putting it on another.

For race wheels, just buy a disc cover for your existing PT wheel. Cost you around $100 and be relatively close to the fastest rear wheel you can buy out there.

$150...all your problems solved.

Edit: you probably still want a front race wheel. You can spend as much or as little as you want on that, but it doesn't have to be part of the decision as far as power options.

∆This. I went through almost the exact same thing recently (only difference was I had a 10 speed tri bike and a 9 speed road bike). I was thinking crank based pm too, but I really like the simplicity and reliability of Powertap and their upgrade program is unbeatable. The more I thought about it I realized the best solution was just to upgrade my road bike to 10 speed (I wanted to do that anyway) and throw the disc cover I already owned on my PT for racing. The 10 speed upgrade cost me about $90 on EBay and the Powertap has been awesome. This definitely ended up being the cheapest/best option for me.
I already had a Flo 60 front so I didn't need a race wheel up front.

Powertap / Cycleops / Saris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or maybe wait a little while, new options may be on the horizon!

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread

Powertap / Cycleops / Saris
Quote Reply
Re: Power Options Advice [Tulkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Power Options Advice [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that is a great idea. thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best budget setup is a wheel cover for rear PT and deep front wheel (60 or 90)
Quote Reply