Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Power Meters
Quote | Reply
note the poll on the right (it'll at least be there when you're back to the main forum table). i'm wondering if i've missed any power meters that should be on this list. i know there are some that didn't make the cut, but if they're not going to get more than 1 percent then they probably just belong in the "other" category.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meters [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two big ifs, however the Brim Brothers Zone is supposed to launch in August.

If it is launched and if it lives up to it's promises it could be a game changer.

I'm forced to train indoors 5 months of the year.
Triathlon club have 2 and 3 hour spinning sessions on Saturday and Sunday during off-season.

As it is I take my pedals and shoes with me to those sessions.
To be able to measure power would be a game changer.

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I have two different power meters that I use for two different things, do I vote twice?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've got the main ones, although a couple of those will be in the 1% "other" category IMO.

Other 1%ers include:
Axis Cranks
Bike Power Pedals (no idea if available in 2014)
Brim Bros (no idea if available in 2014)
ergomo (still has a pulse I believe)
Factor Cranks
G-Cog
iBike (OK, not a direct force PM)
InfoCrank
MEP
Powercal (OK, not a direct force PM)
Xpedo power meter pedals (release date/pricing TBA)

Do we mean only new purchases, or continuing to use the meters we might already have?

My go to meters will the same ones I bought many years ago, and will more than likely continue to be my go to meters for many years to come.
Last edited by: Watt Matters: Apr 14, 14 14:51
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meters [Watt Matters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks. as noted, i was looking for an obvious omission. so far, after 230 or so responses in the first couple-three hours, we're up to a rousing grand total of zero in the other category. so i'm going to hazard a guess that i got the majors.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meters [sub-3-dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

wow i'm quite surprised by the low numbers for the vector .. just given ease of use, brand familiarity, integration with existing watches. must be the sticker shock.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meters [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buzz wrote:

wow i'm quite surprised by the low numbers for the vector .. just given ease of use, brand familiarity, integration with existing watches. must be the sticker shock.

With the sticker shock and people being entrenched in hub and crank varieties, it has an uphill battle. My Vectors have been great, and I do think the sticker price is $200-300 too high, there is also animosity towards it as its the new kid on the block.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meters [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
would you guess the SRM numbers are so low, based solely on price?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 2 also… Voted for the one I use most.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be curious to know how many people use virtual power (ex TrainerRoad.com with Kurt Knetic road machine). Before I bought my first power meter (Quarq SRAM 975) I used virtual power for 1 winter to learn more about training with a PM and see if it was for me. I saw the light and converted 3 months later. 3 seasons later, I now have 2 (Quarq riken and stages). I bet there are a lot of people that just use virtual power.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meters [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I have 2 also… Voted for the one I use most."

a man of acuity. that's why i worded the question as i did ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meters [mjengstrom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same boat... Used TR virtual power for a year learning what the numbers meant and how to train w/ them, then got a Quarq.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

i just finished (today) my winter project that included installing a Quarq Elsa on the tri bike. I went for the crank option so that I could switch between deep 808 rims and the disk wheel. On the road bike, which I will probably ride more of this year, I have with Powertap on 303's. For the purpose of the survey I recognized the choice to have wheel flexibility with the crank based power meter.

Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

That's why I asked the question. My go-to power meter depends on what I'm going to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meters [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No mention of SRM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More folks with Stages than I expected. I guess they stay hidden in the closet ... Maybe I'll start a Stages support group. We'll discuss how to camouflage the pod on the crank arm, how to get fake Quarq stickers and come up with a secret handshake and code work so we can identify ourselves among other triathletes.

Maybe we'll call ourselves the "one arm bandits". or "The P=N x 2 Gang"

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Last edited by: motoguy128: Apr 15, 14 7:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:
would you guess the SRM numbers are so low, based solely on price?

Price and annoying battery replacement process, and with powertaps getting lighter and cheaper and Quarqs getting more stable, less and less reason to own an SRM.

Vectors are pretty cool *if* for some reason a hub or crank PM can't work for your training/racing routine. Otherwise, there is no reason pay the extra money for them unless you plan to do some left/right balance science.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meters [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
furiousferret wrote:
buzz wrote:

With the sticker shock and people being entrenched in hub and crank varieties, it has an uphill battle. My Vectors have been great, and I do think the sticker price is $200-300 too high, there is also animosity towards it as its the new kid on the block.

I got my vectors for $300 off. They were actually cheaper than what I could have gotten a Quarq for. I called every bike shop within 50 miles to see if anyone was running a deal on them. Turns out my LBS, that I frequent the most, had them at the best price. A friend of mine got his at an even better price at a shop on the other side of Houston from me. The only reason I didn't go there was because it wasn't worth my time (and gas...and sanity driving through traffic) to save a few extra dollars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Computrainer?

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meters [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm really just talking about ways of measuring the power while riding on the road. there are many stationary riding devices that measure power, probably just as many as the list of those measuring power while on the road. i'm scribing this list to include only devices that measure power while road riding.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meters [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vector is actually less "ease of use" than Quarq in terms of installation and also swapping between bikes. You need to be very precise and specific with torque and calibration with Vector to get reliable data. With Quarq you just tighten up a single bolt and go. It can be swapped between bikes with the same BB standard in under 5min and no need to do any special calibrations. Also consider that the price of a Quarq includes cranks and chainrings compared to just the pedals for Vector, although you'd have to assume people already have cranks on their bikes anyway.

buzz wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Power Meters [mjengstrom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this is a valid addition to the list even though it's not directly a PM. It clearly doesn't have the same barrier to entry that purchasing an actual PM does.

mjengstrom wrote:
I would be curious to know how many people use virtual power (ex TrainerRoad.com with Kurt Knetic road machine). Before I bought my first power meter (Quarq SRAM 975) I used virtual power for 1 winter to learn more about training with a PM and see if it was for me. I saw the light and converted 3 months later. 3 seasons later, I now have 2 (Quarq riken and stages). I bet there are a lot of people that just use virtual power.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meters [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
winchester wrote:
Vectors are pretty cool *if* for some reason a hub or crank PM can't work for your training/racing routine. Otherwise, there is no reason pay the extra money for them unless you plan to do some left/right balance science.
Vector works for me because I switch them between my tri and road bikes. My tri bike uses 650 wheels and I also have multiple 700 wheel sets so Powertap didn't work for me. I don't care about L/R balance.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meters [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
Vector is actually less "ease of use" than Quarq in terms of installation and also swapping between bikes. You need to be very precise and specific with torque and calibration with Vector to get reliable data. With Quarq you just tighten up a single bolt and go. It can be swapped between bikes with the same BB standard in under 5min and no need to do any special calibrations.

That is true if you take off your pedals when you swap your crank, but if you don't then the vectors would take exactly the same amount of time.

Also, the vectors are faster and easier to swap if you are going between bikes with different bottom brackets standards.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meters [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. I never though about treating Vector just like Quarq - swap the entire crank+pedal assembly. Duh.

chaparral wrote:
TH3_FRB wrote:
Vector is actually less "ease of use" than Quarq in terms of installation and also swapping between bikes. You need to be very precise and specific with torque and calibration with Vector to get reliable data. With Quarq you just tighten up a single bolt and go. It can be swapped between bikes with the same BB standard in under 5min and no need to do any special calibrations.

That is true if you take off your pedals when you swap your crank, but if you don't then the vectors would take exactly the same amount of time.

Also, the vectors are faster and easier to swap if you are going between bikes with different bottom brackets standards.
Quote Reply

Prev Next