Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Power Meter or Carbon bars upgrade?
Quote | Reply
I have a 2013 Felt B16 with all the stock components. The bike has aluminum handle bars and aerobars and it was suggested that it would be of benefit to upgrade to carbon bars to lose some bike weight and help with vibration.

Noticing the drop in price of the Power2Max Gossamer power meter to $599 today, I'm thinking maybe I should try a power meter instead.

I've never had a power meter before. I use virtual power on trainer road while indoors, but that's it. I hear having a power meter is a great tool and I'm not sure how much benefit I'll get with carbon bars, so leaning towards the power meter.

Any opinions on which to go with?
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter or Carbon bars upgrade? [jmk1538] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benefit of carbon bars ~0.

Benefit of PM could be a lot if you use it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would get the PM for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter or Carbon bars upgrade? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

This
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter or Carbon bars upgrade? [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
absolute no brainer - I missed power the first time I trained - 15 years ago, couldn't afford it - this time round i bought a p2m and stuck it on a surly cross check (trainer bike) and its a total game changer, has provided structure - that which can be measured can be improved and in my case with no history of knowing RPE, HR etc, power is a metric which allows specific measurable points of reference
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter or Carbon bars upgrade? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I figured it was probably a silly question, but figured I'd check anyway. Thanks everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unanimous for the PM
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter or Carbon bars upgrade? [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he should get the Carbon Bars...

Just kidding...go for the PM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PM...for Sure

Adi Prabakar
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter or Carbon bars upgrade?[jmk1538] [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

I'll offer the lone dissenting opinion:

Upgrading your stock B16 round aluminum bars to a lighter, more aero, and lower bars is WAY more than ~0. I was in a similar position a couple years ago on my 2011 Felt B16. I went with the aero bars first before getting a PM a year later.

One thing that might be overlooked is the ability of a better bar (I got a Felt Devox Full Carbon 39cm bar) to allow you to get in a much better aero position than that stock bar on the B16's. I love my power meter, but to me, if you're position is crap, you should work on that.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmk1538 wrote:
it was suggested that it would be of benefit to upgrade to carbon bars to lose some bike weight and help with vibration.

The weight difference of carbon bars will save you about 0.5 seconds per Ironman.

The vibration difference may not exist at all.

If the stock bars are not very aero, you could get some substantive performance improvement from a more aerodynamic cockpit, but it need not be made of carbon.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter or Carbon bars upgrade? [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
rruff wrote:

I'll offer the lone dissenting opinion:

Upgrading your stock B16 round aluminum bars to a lighter, more aero, and lower bars is WAY more than ~0. I was in a similar position a couple years ago on my 2011 Felt B16. I went with the aero bars first before getting a PM a year later.

One thing that might be overlooked is the ability of a better bar (I got a Felt Devox Full Carbon 39cm bar) to allow you to get in a much better aero position than that stock bar on the B16's. I love my power meter, but to me, if you're position is crap, you should work on that.

Would you say you benefited from a better position that the new bars let you attain, or that the new bars were lighter and more aero?

If its the former, maybe the OP should consider that as well concerning their position on the bike.

Otherwise, power meter all the way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what you're saying is that the OP should get the PM and also (maybe) fork out an additional $30-60 on a stem.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have a Felt B16, albeit a year or two older. I went with a PowerTap, but have also upgraded the front brake to an Omega, and also upgraded the bars to the Zipp Vuka Alumina. Those bars are not as slick as a set of Missiles or something, but they're pretty good, and very adjustable.

I would agree with the rest of the folks though...the PT is the one upgrade I couldn't live without.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was trying to hold off on getting a powermeter until the end of the year but when $599 price point pops up it's really hard to resist. But it seems the power meter prices are dropping rapidly so hopefully end of the year maybe I'll pick one up. I have my first 2 HIM this year. One in May and the other in September. It's very tempting to get a power meter to start in training for the September HIM.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter or Carbon bars upgrade? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
So what you're saying is that the OP should get the PM and also (maybe) fork out an additional $30-60 on a stem.

For me, on that bike, it was more than the stem. The pads sit pretty high on that Felt Aluminum bar. Obviously, the bang for your buck is probably not there with a new aero bar, but getting your position dialed in definitely is. To me: Position > PM

You can't go wrong with the PM . . . as long as you use it.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

For me, on that bike, it was more than the stem. The pads sit pretty high on that Felt Aluminum bar. Obviously, the bang for your buck is probably not there with a new aero bar, but getting your position dialed in definitely is. To me: Position > PM

You can't go wrong with the PM . . . as long as you use it.

And the power meter is actually working properly.

Not all brands of power meter are reliable, so yes you can go wrong with one. It's a big investment and reliability is not guaranteed, people should consider reliability before parting with their cash.
Last edited by: Trev: Apr 16, 15 10:54
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter or Carbon bars upgrade? [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have experience installing the classic FSA Gossamer from Power2Max? I don't have too much experience bike maintenance-wise so I'm almost afraid to try if it's difficult. I could get the local bike shop to do it, guess it depends on how much they'd charge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
negative rise stem

adjustable stem

lots of options for getting the position in aero right.

personally, I never cared where the base bar is, as long as it is reasonably OK. shouldn't be in them much anyway...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmk1538 wrote:
Anyone have experience installing the classic FSA Gossamer from Power2Max? I don't have too much experience bike maintenance-wise so I'm almost afraid to try if it's difficult. I could get the local bike shop to do it, guess it depends on how much they'd charge.

If you have an FSA bottom bracket it should be pretty painless.
slide it in, set the preload by gently tightening the preload bolt, the tighten the pinch bolts.

If you do not have an FSA bottom bracket, you might want to get one as FSA spindles are a tight fit in other bottom brackets.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter or Carbon bars upgrade? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
jmk1538 wrote:

slide it in, set the preload by gently tightening the preload bolt, the tighten the pinch bolts.

If you do not have an FSA bottom bracket, you might want to get one as FSA spindles are a tight fit in other bottom brackets.

I have an FSA Omega Mega Exo crankset and was told the bottom bracket would work, but that I would need to get different chain rings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An advantage of having aluminum bars is that they are more durable. I had a crash a few years ago where my bars took a big hit - probably wouldn't have survived if carbon. Also agree on the PM vs bars issue.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmk1538 wrote:
jackmott wrote:
jmk1538 wrote:

I have an FSA Omega Mega Exo crankset and was told the bottom bracket would work, but that I would need to get different chain rings.

The Omega takes a BB-4000 and the FSA gossamer takes a BB-6000. They are similar to eachother and can probably be interchanged sometimes. Personally I'm running an BB-8681 with my P2M FSA Gossamer but I know the BB-6000 is the exact specified one.

If you are buying the P2M now, buy the Praxis rings from them, they are really good rings and that's a good price.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for vibration you might want to look at tire pressure, tire width and the stiffness of the wheels. Bars don't matter much for that
Quote Reply

Prev Next