Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Power Meter Dilemma
Quote | Reply
Well not really a dilemma but I could use some input none the less. A couple months back my Quarq Elsa started acting up in the rain. It hasn't rained a lot here this summer so I only ever got it to replicate itself once in a blue moon. I would calibrate before a ride, usually in the +100-115 range, like normal, but after some time the power would start to vary widely. As much as I would like to see a 400w 5mi lap average I know its not right so I would then do another calibration. That calibration would read somewhere around -350. I just reached out to Quarq and low and behold my warranty is like 3mo past. They offered to check it over and replace the spider for $500.

So here is where I need help, if you were in my shoes would you (ranked least $ to most $$$):

A) Don't worry about power outputs in the rain and keep everything as is
B) Pay Quarq $500 to install new spider
C) Buy the Pioneer power meter upgrade and put the Quarq as is on another bike
D) Sell Quarq and buy different powermeter (P2M, Pioneer, SRM, etc...)

I've had good luck with my Quarq and this has been the only issue I've ever had in 15months. I was a little bummed Quarq wouldn't warranty it out of good faith but I understand that you cant always make exceptions to rules. Part of me is a bit hesitant to buy another Quarq if the lifespan is only two year when I could just buy an SRM and have something that is build to last a lifetime (in comparison). The Pioneer units seem to be getting rave reviews and I've yet to read a negative review of them, granted they aren't as popular as other offerings so that could have something to do with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter Dilemma [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the quarq warranty restarts after the repair I would be tempted to go that route. If no warranty extension than I would be looking at getting something new.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SRM, though if you go the Quarq route, make sure you get one from the newest iterations.

my Quarq did the exact same thing with drifts in the wet but was fine otherwise. This was a well known and widely reported problem with at least the first and second generation units (up to 2013, maybe even into 2014). No one truly figured out what was causing the problem, but the newest iterations have been reported to be much better. The swings on my particular unit weren't actually that bad (equivalent of 10-20 W at 95 rpm) as i've heard of other units having much more significant offset drifts. However, when i was trying to replicate doing 310W in dry conditions (when i had actually done 300W the previous time i did 310W in the rain) up a hill, i blew up halfway up the climb. That really drilled home just how much offset stability and accuracy in general matters.

The SRM that replaced the Quarq was flawless for 18 months, until my carelessness led to water damages. The unit was 6 months out of warranty, but SRM replaced it for free, even though it really wasn't their fault. The replacement unit experienced slope drift of 5% over 7 months, and SRM again replaced it. The current unit has had very stable slope since i got it this past February.

People say Quarq has great customer service, and while I don't dispute that, i've found SRM to be quite excellent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kyle h wrote:
Well not really a dilemma but I could use some input none the less. A couple months back my Quarq Elsa started acting up in the rain. It hasn't rained a lot here this summer so I only ever got it to replicate itself once in a blue moon. I would calibrate before a ride, usually in the +100-115 range, like normal, but after some time the power would start to vary widely. As much as I would like to see a 400w 5mi lap average I know its not right so I would then do another calibration. That calibration would read somewhere around -350. I just reached out to Quarq and low and behold my warranty is like 3mo past. They offered to check it over and replace the spider for $500.

So here is where I need help, if you were in my shoes would you (ranked least $ to most $$$):

I've had good luck with my Quarq and this has been the only issue I've ever had in 15months.

I think I would stay with A for a little while longer for the single $ if you don't have a lot of rain in your area. Maybe give it a little longer and see if things are different when the next rainy ride comes up.

I just did a $500 upgrade last week when my older Cinqo was impacted by moisture. The Cinqo had been through a lot of hard wet weather, but finally some moisture made it in. I decided to get a Riken because it and the ELSA are supposed to be IPX rated for water resistance. My first ride after getting the Riken was just after it rained so the drive train was fairly soaked. I also have an ELSA on a different bike, but have not used it in rain or wet. Fortunately most of the time when I do train in the wet I use a bike that has a PT G3 hub, which seems to be pretty good so far. I've had some older style PowerTap hubs that were damaged by moisture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume you've done the usual checks of chain ring bolt torque and making sure the little torx bolt in the battery compartment is tight, and checked the o ring and tightness of the battery cover?
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter Dilemma [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IanH wrote:
If the quarq warranty restarts after the repair I would be tempted to go that route. If no warranty extension than I would be looking at getting something new.

A friend recently did this, they gave her 2 years from the day of the repair. She also paid $500.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i always like the idea of getting and trying new things; would go route of replacing spider and putting quarq on another bike then getting the pioneer. Once you have both you can then give us a review of both!!! Sorry little selfish here as well.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It does reset, unfortunately I've had many opportunities to test it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter Dilemma [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha to be honest this is where I'm leaning. I'm really interested in the Pioneer.

Also the fact that nearly everyone I know with a Quarq has had it replaced/repaired doesn't make me eager to give them more money. I know electronics don't last forever but the spider taking on water is obviously a common problem.

The fact SRM only has a 12mo warranty is pretty surprising too. I think cost alone is going to rule out an SRM for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a quarq elisa last yr and had no issues with it, took my troublesome stages and placed on road bike. Had briefly looked at the pioneer, had it been out a little longer and had all the positive reviews been out yet I very well might have gone that route. The cost of the SRM just seemed to much for me given the comparisons. Would love you to be able to post a review in 6-12 months with a direct comparison between the 2!!!!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kyle h wrote:

I hope you wouldn't sell the Quarq knowing it has a defect unless you got it fixed first or provided full disclosure.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter Dilemma [Bruizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviosuly, I didn't think that needed saying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kyle h wrote:
Obviosuly, I didn't think that needed saying.

Glad to hear that, but it does happen all the time unfortunately. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 months ago my older Cinq gave up the good fight - it was 3 years old at the time.
I went route B and got a brand new Riken (with all the latest firmware etc.) for $500. This is a new unit so your warranty is 2 years again.

The way I looked at it was that (in my opinion) $500 for a new Riken is a better deal than anything else I could buy new. There are plenty of stories out there for every brand of powermeter that they either break straight away and give bad numbers vs lasts forever and gives accurate numbers. What will your experience be - who knows.

If your issue is only in the rain I would be inclined to just carry on as-is until it stops working in dry as well. I have been called cheap before though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kyle h wrote:
Haha to be honest this is where I'm leaning. I'm really interested in the Pioneer.

Also the fact that nearly everyone I know with a Quarq has had it replaced/repaired doesn't make me eager to give them more money. I know electronics don't last forever but the spider taking on water is obviously a common problem.

The fact SRM only has a 12mo warranty is pretty surprising too. I think cost alone is going to rule out an SRM for me.

12 mo is on refurb units, and they extended it anyway for me. as i said, great customer service

Bruizer wrote:
kyle h wrote:

I hope you wouldn't sell the Quarq knowing it has a defect unless you got it fixed first or provided full disclosure.

kinda moot issue as the flaw is baked into the system as opposed to being fault of a particular unit. You buy a Quarq made before 2014, you are going to have issues with moisture, end of story. I don't think Quarq ever expressly disclosed this, and at least one of its sponsored athletes (viz. one of this forum's admins) actually cast aspersions on anyone bringing up the issue. FWIW, i made it clear that my unit had issues in the wet (10-20w drifts) but was fine in the dry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New SRM's have a 3 year warranty

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IanH wrote:

this. I've had so many problems with my 2011 Quarq that the next time it dies it gets buried.

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I pulled the trigger on a Pioneer. Fingers crossed it will fit on my SC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SRM's are bomb proof.
Yeah they are pricy, but they really do last a long time.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter Dilemma [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
with what model year did the 3 year SRM warranty begin?
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter Dilemma [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure. I bought a DA9000 SRM last year and it came with a 3 year warranty. Just looking at their website, it looks like all their new PM's come with 3 year warranties.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter Dilemma [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:
with what model year did the 3 year SRM warranty begin?

since always, i think

then again i wouldn't know for sure as both of my units are refurbs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kyle h wrote:
Well I pulled the trigger on a Pioneer. Fingers crossed it will fit on my SC.

I hate to bring you bad news....

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=5541986#5541986

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter Dilemma [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
kinda moot issue as the flaw is baked into the system as opposed to being fault of a particular unit. You buy a Quarq made before 2014, you are going to have issues with moisture, end of story. I don't think Quarq ever expressly disclosed this, and at least one of its sponsored athletes (viz. one of this forum's admins) actually cast aspersions on anyone bringing up the issue. FWIW, i made it clear that my unit had issues in the wet (10-20w drifts) but was fine in the dry.

Any idea when the cutoff was for when they seem to have fixed the issue? I have a May 2014 Quarq. No issues so far but I don't typically use it in wet weather.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter Dilemma [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't quote me on this, but i think yours is fine

see this thread here: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=5550870#5550870

general consensus (and i've heard this from source other than posters in that thread, can't remember where) is that things got better in 2014

you can always tell by checking for zero offset during a wet ride and take notice if things change drastically.
Quote Reply

Prev Next