Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Power File Request: FL 70.3 under 2:30 bike
Quote | Reply
Trying to get a gauge on how the ride was for people, and see what I can learn from this weekend (I suspect that, as kileyay likes to put it, I am as aero as a brick wall).

In the interest of sharing data, here is mine: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/480068291

Last wave of the day (wondering if the wind picked up?), rode probably approx. 175-177lbs. 264 AP, 271 NP, 2:27 bike. I rode solo the entire day - didn't see any terrible drafting, but definitely a handful of guys go past me that were riding in a group, relatively legally.

Trek SC 9 (2012 model), 808FC/Sub9 tubulars, Giro Advantage2, Torhans 30, X-Lab aero bottle on the downtube, spare cage on the seat tube that was intermittently used to hold bottles grabbed on course.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: Power File Request: FL 70.3 under 2:30 bike [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timbikerun posted this on his RR thread, so I figure fair game to share here:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/479565424

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can post my file when I get home, but here are the details:
Bike Time: 2:19
Wave: 25-29
NP: 241
Equipment: S-works shiv tri, giro selector, HED Jet 6 front, HED Jet Disc rear, PI Octane tri suit, BTA Bottle.

I am 5'11" and weigh about 155
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/480450167

I'm 6'0" and 172lbs. Rode 258 AP and 260 NP for 2:18. I didn't really get to ride with anyone either...just passing all day. Riding a Cannondale Slice w/ Enve 6.7 wheelset. GrandPrix 4000s and vittoria latex tubes. Helmet was Advantage 2. Torhans aero 30 up front and VR bottle on seat tube. This was PR for me, thought it was pretty windy in the 2nd half until I got to the last 5 or 6 miles heading back into transition. I started in Wave 14. Sadly my day only went downhill from here as I was battling some illness through the week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afurlong wrote:
Trying to get a gauge on how the ride was for people, and see what I can learn from this weekend (I suspect that, as kileyay likes to put it, I am as aero as a brick wall).

In the interest of sharing data, here is mine: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/480068291

Last wave of the day (wondering if the wind picked up?), rode probably approx. 175-177lbs. 264 AP, 271 NP, 2:27 bike. I rode solo the entire day - didn't see any terrible drafting, but definitely a handful of guys go past me that were riding in a group, relatively legally.

Trek SC 9 (2012 model), 808FC/Sub9 tubulars with Zipp Tangentes, Giro Advantage2, Torhans 30, X-Lab aero bottle on the downtube, spare cage on the seat tube that was intermittently used to hold bottles grabbed on course.

Added the tire choice in bold.

How are the tubulars glued?

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice watts for sure. However, it does seem like you should be riding faster. Got a pic?
Quote Reply
Re: Power File Request: FL 70.3 under 2:30 bike [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed...
Quote Reply
Re: Power File Request: FL 70.3 under 2:30 bike [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, not at the moment - the only ones snapped are of me headed into/out of transition, and I've made some fit changes recently so older pictures are not accurate. I'm headed to aero camp (Stover & Dotson camp) in June, but trying to suss out other things... if brakes were rubbing, if I was wearing a parachute, etc.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not that this will help much, but almost the same time split http://connect.garmin.com/activity/479883209

my power meter battery apparently died between the time i racked my bike and the start of the bike...very frustrating. that said, if perceived effort means anything, felt right on with the 223W NP simulation ride I did two weeks ago. 5'10, 165 lb, FTP 295. I was basically alone all day other than the constant passing...
Last edited by: tranq19: Apr 15, 14 9:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What were you doing with a 20min max of 20 watts greater than your overall average? Your AP/NP are pretty different, I'm guessing that's due to the # of turns on course.
Quote Reply
Re: Power File Request: FL 70.3 under 2:30 bike [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lots of turns in the first 5 miles, and then a decent number of hills and turns in the back half of the course. those last 20 minutes were riding into a headwind, and still feeling incredibly fresh, so i just decided to push it up a little more.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: Power File Request: FL 70.3 under 2:30 bike [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've still seen power files from the same course that were much smoother/better ridden.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Power File Request: FL 70.3 under 2:30 bike [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure. I'm not saying I'm the smoothest rider ever, or even close to that.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoa nice ride! Solid power ##

How did the run go?

Looks like your HR was not working for much of the ride

"Keep those feet moving!" Me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/480141228

Here is my file for the day. I was prob around 132lb on race morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No disrespect in any way, but very surprised to see a 2:27 time (seems slow) against a 271NP/264AP. Especially on a flat course like FL, which wasn't described as horribly windy.

By comparison, last fall I did a 2400ft split at 2:29 on 215NP, in 15-20mph winds, and I'm 6'2" and 180 lbs (Shiv Tri, rear disc w/PT, front H3, clinchers, latex, aerobar bottle, rear/butt-draft bottle)

That seems like a huge difference in NP for what I would argue is a faster course with no hills. Are you confident in your meter accuracy and zeroing?
Quote Reply
Re: Power File Request: FL 70.3 under 2:30 bike [TallTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would sure hope the PM is accurate - I literally got it 2 weeks ago from Quarq as part of their upgrade program. I do manual calibration every time I ride it, and the PRE felt on par.

I suppose I can throw some PT wheels from my road bike on there and compare the two...

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TallTris wrote:
No disrespect in any way, but very surprised to see a 2:27 time (seems slow) against a 271NP/264AP. Especially on a flat course like FL, which wasn't described as horribly windy.

By comparison, last fall I did a 2400ft split at 2:29 on 215NP, in 15-20mph winds, and I'm 6'2" and 180 lbs (Shiv Tri, rear disc w/PT, front H3, clinchers, latex, aerobar bottle, rear/butt-draft bottle)

That seems like a huge difference in NP for what I would argue is a faster course with no hills. Are you confident in your meter accuracy and zeroing?

I was thinking the same thing. I think the aero camp will do wonders. I did 22.5 mph at an Olympic on 235W. I'm 6'0-180 on a Specialized Transition with 808's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which one did you end up going with? I'm assuming Riken?

I mean start from the ground up here.

Tires - you have a slow tire
Tubular gluing job - if you took it to a normal shop, they probably glued it the way they normally due, which is not advantageous to a low rolling resistance (you need to glue the shit out of it)
Wheels - you have fast wheels
Bike - you have a fast bike
Apparel - you don't know until you test
Helmet - you don't know until you test
Position - you don't know until you test

Did you make sure your brakes weren't rubbing? Were your tires pumped up to 110ish psi?

Or maybe you're just not that aero, position wise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's always interesting to see the power/weight/aero balance of other riders. I rode 2:26 on 235 average (haven't checked NP) and am 6' 182. Riding a BMC TM02 w/ flo 60/flo disc (butyl tubes, haven't gotten the guts to try latex yet!). Hydration is a bta bottle and one behind the saddle. Giro A2 helmet and ChampSys racing kit.
Quote Reply
Re: Power File Request: FL 70.3 under 2:30 bike [IronDadTony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronDadTony wrote:
It's always interesting to see the power/weight/aero balance of other riders. I rode 2:26 on 235 average (haven't checked NP) and am 6' 182. Riding a BMC TM02 w/ flo 60/flo disc (butyl tubes, haven't gotten the guts to try latex yet!). Hydration is a bta bottle and one behind the saddle. Giro A2 helmet and ChampSys racing kit.

Agreed. I rode 2:26 also but on 215 watts - 221NP. I'm 6'1 and was about 158-159lbs race morning. P3, Conti Gps w/ latex tubes, pearl octane tri suit and LG P09 helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Riken, yea.

Tires - got it, will research alternatives
Gluing - got it, will look into in conjunction with tire replacement
Fast stuff - agree
Testing - that's why I am going

Wheels were ~105-110 (per zipp recommendations)

brakes did not appear to be rubbing before the race (i specifically checked the day before).

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife road a 2:37 on avg watts 157, np 162 avg cadence 92, 56 kg and ran a 1:35. Btw our gps stated 1378 feet of climbing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell me why more glue is faster? Not like the tire is spinning on the rim
Quote Reply

Prev Next